QED CD COMPARATOR CD9 need info

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

QED CD COMPARATOR CD9 need info

Postby t » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:30 pm

Hello folks:

I chanced upon this unit in Shangri la mall.

It looks like it works like a passive pre amp, but it has 9 CD inputs.

I searched the web, but I cannot find any info on this.

Anyone hear of this? Any info?

Thanks,

t
t
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zach » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:25 pm

what store did you see it in? how big?
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby KD » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:07 pm

Judging from the name, it sounds like an input switch. Useful for, say, an equipment dealer who has plenty of players to demo but does not want the inconvenience of unplugging/replugging interconnects. Did you notice if it had a volume control?
KD
Legend
Legend

QED comparator

Postby t » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:39 am

Zach - it was no bigger than the normal cd player. I think the name of the store is 58th Avenue or was it Avenue 58?

KD - It has 9 cd inputs and one output. It also has a volume control. I am thinking baka puede na gawin kong "passive pre amp" but I am not sure how it sounds kaya I am looking for info.

Thanks and best regards,

t
t
Citizen
Citizen

Re: QED CD COMPARATOR CD9 need info

Postby Central Scrutiniser » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:11 pm

I have one of these units. I first came across them when I used to use one of these in the hi-fi store I worked in. It is 9-way a CD comparator device which permits nine CD or other line level units to be hooked up and compared quickly. It is of simple design using high-spec components. It is also a passive pre-amplifier fitted with a top quality ALPS blue potentiometer so is ideal for feeding your components directly into a power amplifier; it works particularly well with valve (tube) power amplifiers and many older solid state power amps from the likes of Leak and Quad.

If used as a passive pre-amp it has the advantage of nine inputs whereas many only have one for a CD,so you can hook up a CD,analogue tuner, DAB tuner and an input from an mp3 palyer / iPod etc.

This unit also works very well in reverse-wired mode, so instead of having nine CD players feeding a single amp you could have one input feeding up to nine amps or other devices. This is precisely how I am now using mine. I take a feed from my TV and other devices then route the signal to my main hi-fi stereo and also to the 5.1 home cinema and to satellite amps in other rooms in the house. They are a well-manufactured, rock solid piece of kit.
Central Scrutiniser

Return to Digital