Suggest a DVD player for audio

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Suggest a DVD player for audio

Postby O.D. Yeo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:42 pm

sorry for wild goose chase. should have read your 1st post more carefully.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ESaudio » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:57 pm

The DV-49A is a very much lower model than the DV-79A. A friend of mine use it for audio only. So, am i.

Sigurado magugustuhan mo 'to Prof:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/dvdplayers/706pioneerdv79avi/
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:01 pm

O.D.Yeo, no thank you! In my desperation, I found THIS!

Look who made the initial post ;) And as it grows in my mind that this is an industry issue (I've seen the restrictions on the output specs of the DVD Audio format), there were already people who shares my sentiments.

But look which player DID NOT FOLLOW the industry spec! Oppo 980 :D

So thank you ;)

To those who don't want to read all the posts...

Three things about this discussion:
1) A few years ago when I was arguing the side of the MLP copyright protection on DVD-A (i.e you can't get PPCM out via coax) I was proven wrong by the weakest of opponents, a very cheap Samusng DVD-A player (can't even remember the name). Hell, the user manaul even stated, in broken English, that DVD-A was available via the coax output. Sure freaking enough, it was sending 96k and 192k out that damn coax (unsure if it was 24 bit though, still am). Fast forward to today's machines. Cheap universals like my Oppo 980 (not my other more expensive ones) send up to 192k out the SPDIF output too! I prove it by setting LPCM for 192k in the Oppo menu, then sending it to a DAC (tested Berkeley Alpha, Weiss Minerva/DAC2, Bryston BDA-1 while I demoed them, for grins and giggles) and sure enough the 192K LED lights up. It tells me that digital coax is capable of 192k...again, I've NO CLUE if it's down "sampled" (truncated I guess is a better term) to 16 bits, but it sounds great via the above mentioned DACs.
2) Combine no 1 above with another experiment I did, similar to Sean and Rick. I took hirez files like the HRX demo disc (24/176k) and various 24/192 files I've downloaded and I decided to try and get them to my 192k-capable DACs (see above) via something other than a computer. I took these files and authored them/burnt them into a DVD-Audio DVD-R disc via software called DVD-Audio SoLo (it lets you do 5 discs during a no-risk trial version) and, voila, the Oppo 980 sends 176k (HRX) and 192K (Kent Poon Jazz downloads, etc.) authored files to the DACs via good ole' coax out. I GOTTA believe these are not 16/176 but in fact 24/176 (although the Oppo could still be truncating them).
3) What about the $98 miracle box out on the Net that's been linked in a couple of these discussions already over on CA or Steve's (Hoffman) forum? It's a "simple" HDMI audio/video splitter that says it takes up to 192k Blu-Ray audio and splits it off HDMi (needs to be decoded in player of course) and sends it to digital coax of this $98 box.!! Anybody seen it or tried it?

Thx
Ted B
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby arnoldc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:13 pm

And more hope for this *new* Digital Audiofool :) MOI

Hi.

Saw your comments and think I have the solution for you.

I have a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver which has the Multi Analog Connections which would resolve the HDMI question. However, when I use that option, the Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S550 has -10dB LFE issue and this cannot be resolved using Sunfire's Bass Management as it is bypassed in this mode.

I found a product that addresses this issue.

It is currently enroute to me so I do not know how it will actually sound.

I purchased it from a seller on E-bay for $99 and found another site today for $84.00.

Here is where you need to go:

On ebay, search for: HDMI Audio To Optical Toslink Coaxial S/PDIF Converter

Also, I am not permitted to give a website urls as I just joined AVS Forum, I will spell it out: smartvm dot com.

Another site that would be very helpful to you is: Practical Home Theater Guide dot com.

The question which I cannot answer until I try the unit is the following:

If HDMI data is approx 24.5 Mbps and Coax/Optical is 1.5 Mbps data rate it is like pushing water from a fire hose into a garden hose. Something is lost in the transfer.

The only thing to do is try it and if it does not solve your issue, then you have 2 wks with the E-mail seller to return it for a refund.

Good luck
discmanmfe
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:59 am

Prof, try mo Pioneer DV-667A if makakuha ka ng pre-owned...Good luck! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby arnoldc » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion man-o-steel, I looked around the net for specs and it's similar to the Oppo.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby zenaudio » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:48 am

Resurrecting this almost year-old thread.
Simple question: is there a SACD player in the $400-$500 max with good quality SACD playback? (by this I mean the SACD playback is noticeably superior vs CD layer playback via a good CD player in reasonably revealing system).

Simply for 2-channel playback since I still have a number of SACDs around and my primary SACD player is in the ICU.
I'm looking for something reliable but not too expensive.
Thanks for the inputs.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby michael corleone » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:06 am

Nes, check this link...

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

Got the old 980 model before from Acoustic Dimension for 15k. O.D. Yeo is one satisfied owner too :rock:
Last edited by michael corleone on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael corleone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zetroce » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:49 am

zenaudio wrote:Resurrecting this almost year-old thread.
Simple question: is there a SACD player in the $400-$500 max with good quality SACD playback? (by this I mean the SACD playback is noticeably superior vs CD layer playback via a good CD player in reasonably revealing system).

Simply for 2-channel playback since I still have a number of SACDs around and my primary SACD player is in the ICU.
I'm looking for something reliable but not too expensive.
Thanks for the inputs.

I bought a Philips Multi-player 5 years ago for 4,500. :-) But never really got a chance to play SACD on it. Wala akong bala. :D
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby O.D. Yeo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:24 pm

michael corleone wrote:Nes, check this link...

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

Got the old 980 model before from Acoustic Dimension for 15k. O.D. Yeo is one satisfied owner too :rock:

Unfortunately they've discontinued the 981 series and are concentrating on their higher margin blue rays now. But there may still be a few floating around. Eric and pinoydvd might be a good starting point.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Wala na din sa Amazon. Oppo now has a low-end BD player but they stripped off the other audio formats... and there's a ridiculous Oppo modified by NuForce for over $1,200 WTF! :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby zenaudio » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks for the inputs, guys. Called up Eric/AD and he has no more stock -- MC got the last unit sometime back. :devil:
No response from pdvd, maybe I'll post a LF. Or maybe a good option will come up. :^)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby O.D. Yeo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

zenaudio wrote:Thanks for the inputs, guys. Called up Eric/AD and he has no more stock -- MC got the last unit sometime back. :devil:
No response from pdvd, maybe I'll post a LF. Or maybe a good option will come up. :^)

Looks like there's a black market forming at Amazon. Two new at over $550, but also a couple of used at below $200.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:29 pm

How about Pioneer PD6? Around P19K. Dedicated cd, sacd player.

Jo
jo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:33 pm

zenaudio wrote:Thanks for the inputs, guys. Called up Eric/AD and he has no more stock -- MC got the last unit sometime back. :devil:

Nes, you can try in SG...let's ask our WS SG friends here :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby zenaudio » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for the additional leads, will check them out. :)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby romymartinez » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:29 am

jo wrote:How about Pioneer PD6? Around P19K. Dedicated cd, sacd player.

Jo

Where is it available Sir?

Thanks
romymartinez
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Digital