Wadia for the Masses?

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Wadia for the Masses?

Postby EsoTec » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:10 am

While the 170i was a let down for me because it wasn't really a DAC, this may just be the ticket to Wadia Digital for most of us, with the traditional gorgeous Wadia packaging to boot....

Image and write up from soundstage:
Wadia is building on the success of the 170iTransport with the 151Digital Amplifier (left) and 121Decoding Computer. The 151' has a class-D-based amplifier, volume control, and a built-in DAC that accepts up to a 24-bit/96kHz signal via a USB input. Interestingly, the 151' only accepts a digital signal; there are no analog inputs. The 121' is a DAC with volume control featuring Wadia's DigitalMaster technology that operates at 24-bit/705kHz. As with the 151', the 121' has a 24/96 USB input. Both units have a cast-aluminum chassis and are expected to be priced at $1000 or less when released.

You have to like the DAC options we have these days. ;)
EsoTec
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Wadia for the Masses?

Postby egay » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

WHOA! :o
\o/

looks like a 'perfect' partner for the 170
this could be a perfect reason to go IPODing now :P

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby EsoTec » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 am

Keeping this thread alive (im sure you can imagine why the interest in anything digital these days he he :devil: ). Asked Wadia for some update on this DAC:

"The 121 DAC will be available in the later part of this summer. The 121 will have all the features one would expect from a Wadia DAC: Digital volume control, Digimaster decoding and swift current output."

I asked if it is at least going to be at the level of the discontinued 301/302, that would be more than good enough for the price (sub $1000 hopefully). More to follow......
EsoTec
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:26 am

Esotec,
judging from the photo, build quality seems so-so... look at the top plate and the edges: doesn't look like its big brothers.
have you seen/handled these in person?

when i saw the iTransport in person, and in white alum, i was disappointed - it looked cheap :o ;( ... i wasn't even encouraged to listen.

i am a wadia fan but seeing a product that reminds me of their folded-metal days (early 90s) makes me wonder... ok, this is a sub-1K product so i'll understand its limitations compared to the big brothers (or sisters), but coming from Wadia? well...

i'll wait for their coming and see for myself.

thanks for the additional info

:hai:
.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hyperion » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 am

In my opinion, it is a good thing they dont look like their big brothers - it is probably the main reason why the iTransport and hopefully, its partner external dac are affordable. Besides, even the iTransport is much better built than the usual dinky all plastic ipod dock.

The i170 should not be a letdown because it releases the musical genie out of that woeful sounding containment unit called the ipod even if it is just hooked up to the internal D/A of AV Receivers! It's main purpose is not as a stand alone ipod-dock with its own internal dac because that would have made it much less affordable.
Hyperion

Postby egay » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 am

Hyperion wrote:In my opinion, it is a good thing they dont look like their big brothers - it is probably the main reason why the iTransport and hopefully, its partner external dac are affordable. Besides, even the iTransport is much better built than the usual dinky all plastic ipod dock.

The i170 should not be a letdown because it releases the musical genie out of that woeful sounding containment unit called the ipod even if it is just hooked up to the internal D/A of AV Receivers! It's main purpose is not as a stand alone ipod-dock with its own internal dac because that would have made it much less affordable.

Thanks, Hansen!
will the iTransport come in WADIA BLACK na? :P
this is really in my sights; and with the 'partnering' DAC would make this MORE appealing... when is this coming to our shores, specifically, in your store? :rock:

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hyperion » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:32 am

egay wrote:Thanks, Hansen!
will the iTransport come in WADIA BLACK na? :P
this is really in my sights; and with the 'partnering' DAC would make this MORE appealing... when is this coming to our shores, specifically, in your store? :rock:

.e.

I am not sure about this but I think the black version will only be available in the latter half of the year, together with the external dac, and the internal dac / integrated amplifier. I suppose they should be here in time for the next Nov Hifi Show. :)
Hyperion

Postby sweetsound » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:00 am

EsoTec wrote:While the 170i was a let down for me because it wasn't really a DAC, this may just be the ticket to Wadia Digital for most of us, with the traditional gorgeous Wadia packaging to boot....

Image and write up from soundstage:
Wadia is building on the success of the 170iTransport with the 151Digital Amplifier (left) and 121Decoding Computer. The 151' has a class-D-based amplifier, volume control, and a built-in DAC that accepts up to a 24-bit/96kHz signal via a USB input. Interestingly, the 151' only accepts a digital signal; there are no analog inputs. The 121' is a DAC with volume control featuring Wadia's DigitalMaster technology that operates at 24-bit/705kHz. As with the 151', the 121' has a 24/96 USB input. Both units have a cast-aluminum chassis and are expected to be priced at $1000 or less when released.

You have to like the DAC options we have these days. ;)

Sir, any body selling here and at what price. thanks :lol:
sweetsound
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Hyperion » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:38 pm

The 151 will be here very soon. We have a bunch on order. US SRP is $1199 so local price would be around this ballpark, less discount. :)
Hyperion

Postby sweetsound » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:35 pm

Hyperion wrote:The 151 will be here very soon. We have a bunch on order. US SRP is $1199 so local price would be around this ballpark, less discount. :)

when it arrive pls PM me po the price of both the 151 and the 171i, plus the discount. :lol: :lol: :lol: . thanks
sweetsound
Citizen
Citizen

Postby docsialu » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Very interested in the 151 as well, please let us know when it arrives, ty
docsialu
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby trauma » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:30 am

$1,000 only? what masses?
trauma
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:26 pm

any further update on this?

i have been ripping my CDs & SACDs into my old T23 & using its USB output into my DAC the sound really surprised me :o : now imagine if i have this proper replicator dock + its matching DAC - WOW (maybe)

I hope to hear from you soonest :hai:

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby iceman_md » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:13 am

sweetsound wrote:
Hyperion wrote:The 151 will be here very soon. We have a bunch on order. US SRP is $1199 so local price would be around this ballpark, less discount. :)

when it arrive pls PM me po the price of both the 151 and the 171i, plus the discount. :lol: :lol: :lol: . thanks

Any feedbacks on both systems, sirs?
iceman_md

Postby jcatral14 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:45 am

I finally saw the 121 at CES. Yes, it is real and not a unicorn :rofl: I've had my 171i now for about 6 months but haven't been able to use it because i don't have a a DAC :@ Now I need to save up for the 121 which I was told will retail for $1500 :( :o :worried:
jcatral14

Postby egay » Sun May 13, 2012 9:40 am

jcatral14 wrote:I finally saw the 121 at CES. Yes, it is real and not a unicorn :rofl: I've had my 171i now for about 6 months but haven't been able to use it because i don't have a a DAC :@ Now I need to save up for the 121 which I was told will retail for $1500 :( :o :worried:

ha! ha! ha!
well, at least you have the half-part to give you a good reason to look forward to its brother or better half?).

please let us know as soon as?

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Digital