why CDs are sounding bad lately

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Poor local recording

Postby triokenwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:39 pm

[quote="tenderobject"] ... iba sabi nila nasa klima natin or sa location natin...a?[/quote

In one of the articles about audio recording in db, a defunct sound engineering mag in the US, the author mentioned that acoustic guitars recorded superbly in Electric Lady in New York, the recording studio of the late Jimi Hendrix. One of the factors being cited for that inherent quality of Electric Lady was that the building sat on the tributary of an underground river.
triokenwood
Citizen
Citizen

Postby triokenwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm

[quote="vynilmaster"] ...I am just wandering why most (maybe around 85%) of recordings done in our local studios do sound very thin. Ive been out of record production for a long time and I was expecting that by this time we should have arrived. Our Church (music ministry) recorded a worship album and I am not really impressed by the quality. Sayang all the orig music..../quote]

Speaking of venues of worship (non-Catholic), I think a good number in Metro Manila have excellent acoustics such as Crossroads near Timog Avenue. Gary Valenciano had performed there a number of times. The excellent acoustics of these venues should be matched by an equally excellent audio recording.
triokenwood
Citizen
Citizen

Postby triokenwood » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:00 am

tenderobject wrote: ... iba sabi nila nasa klima natin or sa location natin? not sure.. .

May I digress a little again, I've observed, too, that photo prints done abroad are quite different than the ones done here. At first glance, the difference is not noticeable. But if you look more closely, there is that subtle difference.
triokenwood
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tenderobject » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:14 am

triokenwood wrote:
tenderobject wrote: ... iba sabi nila nasa klima natin or sa location natin? not sure.. .

May I digress a little again, I've observed, too, that photo prints done abroad are quite different than the ones done here. At first glance, the difference is not noticeable. But if you look more closely, there is that subtle difference.

photo prints? darkroom or digital? if darkroom maybe meron nga difference.. tubig/chems/temp/climate puede
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby triokenwood » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 pm

tenderobject wrote:
triokenwood wrote:

photo prints? darkroom or digital? if darkroom maybe meron nga difference.. tubig/chems/temp/climate puede

Darkroom Bro.
triokenwood
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tenderobject » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 am

triokenwood wrote:

photo prints? darkroom or digital? if darkroom maybe meron nga difference.. tubig/chems/temp/climate puede[/quote]

Darkroom Bro.[/quote]

yep.
tenderobject
Master
Master

Re: why CDs are sounding bad lately

Postby egay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:07 am

They don't only sound bad, they are MOSTLY badder than crap!
I think it's the plastic.

Anyway, there are still those that do sound good, but are becoming rare each day.
And they don't last long like they used to... I give these CDs 1 year in my place; the better ones I have had been with me since the 90s and they are still accepted by my players, the newer discs are only good for ripping but are mostly rejected by my players.

Sayang pera.

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby paeng » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:33 pm

That's why I buy only classical, folk, and world music, and always the ones that are given high marks by reviewers.
paeng
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:34 pm

paeng wrote:That's why I buy only classical, folk, and world music, and always the ones that are given high marks by reviewers.

Still, it is the CD material itself that does not last long.

And what irritates me a lot is that even those Telarcs & FIMs seem to be failing lately.

I feel it's like a 'trial-&-error' thing now with these newer discs; so what I do is get stocks from known sellers/dealers like Fully Booked or Melvin Chua so that it is easier to exchange if the discs does not work in my system. I seldom get the expensive newer CDs now unless they come from these 2 sources or directly from Linn, Concord, or Telarc (hassle lang mag-return but they change the disc; they even provide discounts for my next purchase) :clap:

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby paeng » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm not sure, but I think the article posted isn't about the materials used for CDs but the "loudness" problem.
paeng
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:21 pm

egay wrote:
paeng wrote:That's why I buy only classical, folk, and world music, and always the ones that are given high marks by reviewers.

Still, it is the CD material itself that does not last long.

And what irritates me a lot is that even those Telarcs & FIMs seem to be failing lately.

I feel it's like a 'trial-&-error' thing now with these newer discs; so what I do is get stocks from known sellers/dealers like Fully Booked or Melvin Chua so that it is easier to exchange if the discs does not work in my system. I seldom get the expensive newer CDs now unless they come from these 2 sources or directly from Linn, Concord, or Telarc (hassle lang mag-return but they change the disc; they even provide discounts for my next purchase) :clap:

.e.

Maybe you should get your player looked at e. Symptoms like what you're experiencing are endemic to transport or laser problems.
JackD201
Immortal

Previous

Return to Digital