Pioneer full-range for OB?

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Pioneer full-range for OB?

Postby jeffersondc » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:30 pm

I recently acquired a 12" Pioneer full-range driver with horn tweeter in the middle (is this coaxial?). printed at the back is Pioneer PAX-30G, full-range, 8ohms, 20 watts, Made in Japan.

the cabinet is huge 26"x15.5"x12"(HxWxD), with non-removable grille, 3/4" plywood construction, and rectangular port in the bottom front. damping is minimal (a 15"x12") cottony substance stapled to the back plywood panel--colored yellow due to old age). The tweeter, BTW, has a level control or VR connected to the back plywood.

the sound is a bit muffled, if the cabinet is used, clear and sweet if listened to in the open; the bass is almost non-existent or so-so. (the back panel is screwed loosely in six places and bracing is at a minimum-- I'm probably listening to cabinet coloration much more than the driver).
:(
i've searched the web but can't seem to get any info. not even from the single-driver website. :(

maybe you guys can help me out. is this a good candidate for OB?(reading through all your posts makes me want to try OB)

or, should i just reuse the cabinet, add bracing, cover up some holes (make it non-resonant) and tear off the grille? --it's stapled inside the cabinet :(

if i reuse the cabinet, should i use stands to bring it up to ear height? (the driver btw, is located at the upper third of the cabinet front; and mounted from the rear).

this is the nearest reference i could find http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~tritium/pax20f.htm

the PAX-30G's horn does not extend to either side of the edge. and is protected by a grille in the middle. hope to post some pics.

tnx for your advise.
jeffersondc

Postby arnoldc » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:39 pm

OB is very simple and cheap not to consider
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby T-Rex » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:41 pm

I think your driver is the same as BenC's (check http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5272&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15)
If it is then send him a pm.

Cheers
T-Rex
Citizen
Citizen

Postby red76 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:56 pm

Hi jeffersondc,

Nice score... I bet it looks similar to the PAX-20G, but with a larger diameter and the horn tweeters not extending to the driver rims: http://www.hifido.co.jp/cgi-bin/oldhifi ... -20&lang=e

In those days (50's-60s) commercial Japanese driver art and quality was at its peak.

Most older drivers with wide front baffle ported BR's for their original application are usually high Q, hence suitable for OB.

red76
Citizen
Citizen

Pioneer PAX-30G

Postby jeffersondc » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:14 pm

arnoldC,

yes, i'll consider OB; i took a quick look at the cabinet, the baffles are not mounted optimally; i could see light through the top and bottom edges (after removing the back panel and positioning the cabinet near my window). 8)

T-Rex,

yes, it does look like BenC's drivers. shouldn't the tweeter be aligned horizontally for lateral dispersion? I'll PM him. 8)

Red76,

tnx for the link. but they look more like BenC's drivers. the cabinet dimensions look similar.

I agree with your assessment about quality. This PAX-30G is 'huge'-- the frame, two U-shaped posts (4 legs total), and magnet housing are in one piece. the magnet housing is bigger than a can of Ma-Ling (sorry, that's what i had for dinner). the speaker wire connections are not the common solder 'stations'; they are silver-colored (nickel?) binding posts that can accept spades, banana plugs, bare wire , etc...

i'm just puzzled because there is no indication of either + or - connections anywhere near these binding posts.

it's just the cabinet that's a big letdown... :(
jeffersondc

Postby red76 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:26 pm

shouldn't the tweeter be aligned horizontally for lateral dispersion?

No, not really. It is a diffraction horn similar to the elctrovoice EV-T350.. But you could try and maybe you would like it more mounted horizontally.

the magnet housing is bigger than a can of Ma-Ling (sorry, that's what i had for dinner).

Just make sure it's not the fake Ma Ling... (madaling madurog puro harina)

the speaker wire connections are not the common solder 'stations'; they are silver-colored (nickel?) binding posts that can accept spades, banana plugs, bare wire , etc..

Most Japanese drivers have similar posts from that era.. Coral, Pioneer, Matsushita are good examples.

i'm just puzzled because there is no indication of either + or - connections anywhere near these binding posts.

If you look close enough, the reddish gasket around the binding post is the +. Try to see if yours have 'em.

it's just the cabinet that's a big letdown...

If its not a commercial cab by Pioneer then it's a poor diy job... Hobbyists back then who buy the drivers get the recommended cab plans like the one I posted.
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jeffersondc » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:09 am

Red76,

Finally found the + and - terminals. faded na, like your pic.
BTW, the cab plan is for an 8" driver. do you have any for a 12" driver? I just want to check if the proportions of this existing enclosure are correct.

tnx for your help. :)
jeffersondc

Postby red76 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:41 pm

do you have any for a 12" driver?

You can try this Petite Jensen/Onken reflex enclosure (small vents near the edges). It was designed for the Altec 414 but it might work...

http://ndaviden.club.fr/plancaisse/onken-414.html

I think you just have to make new baffles (or have them made for you) following the original dimensions with what you have, BUT with better construction/bracing. Masyadong "leaky" cabs mo if you can see light through the edges between the wood panels that were poorly glued together...

Don't overlook the open baffle option...
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Sat May 21, 2005 8:01 am

What else is happening in this corner. There are no threads any longer. Hello OB fans where art thou?

THe R & A 8 inchers I got sound like a two way system. Typically smooth, has better extension, deeper base, voices float in the air, and gives a bigger sound. They're a notch higher than the altec 403As in terms of tonal quality on the amp I'm driving them with -- "the fisher 101," an old classic el84 based integrated.

What else is new around?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby chancy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:16 pm

What is SOCKS proxy server?
SOCKS is a networking proxy protocol that enables hosts on one side of a SOCKS server to gain full access to hosts on the other side of the SOCKS server without requiring direct IP-reachability. SOCKS is often used as a network firewall, redirecting connection requests from hosts on opposite sides of a SOCKS server. The SOCKS server authenticates and authorizes requests, establishes a proxy connection, and relays data between hosts.

http://www.socksproxylist.com
chancy

Postby Superman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:39 pm

chancy wrote:What is SOCKS proxy server?
SOCKS is a networking proxy protocol that enables hosts on one side of a SOCKS server to gain full access to hosts on the other side of the SOCKS server without requiring direct IP-reachability. SOCKS is often used as a network firewall, redirecting connection requests from hosts on opposite sides of a SOCKS server. The SOCKS server authenticates and authorizes requests, establishes a proxy connection, and relays data between hosts.

http://www.socksproxylist.com

mods, i believe this "chancy" is way, way, way OT! even in other threads...thanks!
Superman
Master Showman

Return to OPEN BAFFLES