Typical impedance of Open Baffle speakers for a small room?

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Typical impedance of Open Baffle speakers for a small room?

Postby Tubedude » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:31 pm

What is the average power needed to drive a simple OB speaker used in a med/small room? I would like to use SET 45 at ~1 watt to SE EL84 at 4 watts. Is that too low?
I understand it would depend on what speaker is chosen, but in general is it possible to find a quality vintage speaker to work well at very low power in an O/B?
Thank you... Dan
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:02 pm

The altec 403As, as I understand it, are well behave. Easy load on the amp. Driving mine with 6 watts single ended pentode Calrad using 6BM8s. That answers your question somewhat. Altec power ratings for these typical full range speakers and there are several are 12 watts max I believe. The 755As are even lower at 8 watts?

I've heard altecs driven with 2A3s. And they go loud in a med/small room. My plot is only 10' deep and 16' length with a 10' celing. Set-up is on the long wall which means I listen nearfield, and I'm more than happy with the results Dan specially on clasical material.

I'm also looking at German vintage speakers also as good alternatives (full range) like Telefunken 307s and those Siemens Klangfilm 8 inchers as well commonly used in small theaters. I think these are popular in Europe for OBs. They're commonly rated at 4 ohms though, but that's no problem with most vintage amps equipped with 4 ohm taps.

Best,

James
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:38 am

Impedance or Watts? The subject says impedance but the body talks about watts.

My Altec 2459A is 96dB and can fill up my 14' x 14' x 10' room with good music from 1.5W of power from a 45.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Tubedude » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:28 pm

Thanks James, that is what I needed to know.
Please excuse my ignorance Arnold, what I meant to say is….. what is the typical efficiency of Altec vintage speakers used in an O/B.
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Return to OPEN BAFFLES