Citizen

Postby T-Rex » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:04 pm

Beautiful :!:

Kelan session.
T-Rex
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:59 am

I agree! What I wish to find out is what speakers did these replace, if it has?

You're not letting these toe-in a little.

With my set-up, I've noticed that a separation of 7 - 8 feet is best, and toed-in. And that's from a near field listening position. In a friend's they were 8' apart. At 6 feet, there's just too much midrange I noticed.

Fire us a comment or two will you?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:30 pm

congrats juls! it replaced an EPOS 14 IIRC
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Audioboy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:44 pm

ichabod wrote:I agree! What I wish to find out is what speakers did these replace, if it has?

You're not letting these toe-in a little.

With my set-up, I've noticed that a separation of 7 - 8 feet is best, and toed-in. And that's from a near field listening position. In a friend's they were 8' apart. At 6 feet, there's just too much midrange I noticed.

Fire us a comment or two will you?

i haven't tried giving these OBs a toe-in yet. will try that.

my OBs are now separated by about more than 2 feet. i am afraid i can't extend the distance any wider. :D with my meager space, i have to be contented with what my space tells me where to place them. not to mention the several days of disputes fighting for the accommodation of these speakers before a judge who has always been a dictator when it comes to household arrangement. we arrived at a compromise: "she said: i won't let those speaker get into our house naked" :D

i agree, there's to much midrange in my setup. that does not bother me though. that can be addressed anyway, given the space and time. :D

i am more than happy with what i'm hearing right now. transients, decay and dynamics like never before. the tonality of percussions are great!

Arnold,

thanks AGAIN! i owe you a lot.

Trex,

thanks pre. you can come to my place.
Audioboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:22 am

I too have a somewhat compromised set-up. Small space and nearfield listening. But there are some things that near field can do best. Less volume is one. Another is you get an orchestra seat close to the performers which means increased presence (details) with less room effects. Vocals can be quite intimate. Thirdly, and this is where I think I can connect most and enjoy the speakers. It is the deep soundstaging ala LS 3/5a.

Accordingly, these speakers are best listened from 3 meters away. And the reason being is one has to adjust for the low seating profile of the speakers with distance to correct its low perspective in terms of height.

I have come to understand that these speakers are not too difficult on placement save that they're obstrusive for their size in comparison to smaller speakers, may it be standmounted or the floorstanding types.

You don't owe me a thing, but a rain check will do.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby qguy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:08 pm

just curious ...are the side panels of the OB loudspeaker needed to improve the sound or there there serving as stands ?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby ichabod » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:43 pm

As stands, and at the same time tilt the speakers to improve on perspectives and lessening the speakers' interaction with the floor I surmise.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:55 am

As much as I would like to keep the Open Baffles, I need the space.

These beautiful OBs are now with Ed Fausto (toobs) ;)

I kept the drivers :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:44 pm

WOW!!!! ngayon ko lang nakita yung mga guwapo na yan nawala na! They were great looking.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ichabod » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:40 pm

This space ain't moving.

Anyway, it's been about three months now that I haven't listened to my R & A OBs after cleaning and tidying my listening room. Since it's a non-working Osmena Day here in Cebu today, and with nothing better to do I decided to hook them up again for a listen. I tell you these full range drivers from Richard Allan are the some of the sweetest speakers one can listen to.

If you have this, Appalachian Journey, Sony label DSD, featuring Yo Yo Ma (cello), Edgar Meyer (violin), and Mark O'Connor (bass). The album features James Taylor and Alison Krauss, vocal artists. Beautiful American music. Bass here goes really deep on some pieces. The OBs may not have all that energy for the bass but it did sound very open and crisp like one is hearing them "live" from some seat in a concert hall.

Drove the R & As with a fisher "the 101" el84 tube integrated. Some would say it could have done better with a SET amp. Most likely.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:47 pm

ichabod wrote:If you have this, Appalachian Journey, Sony label DSD, featuring Yo Yo Ma (cello), Edgar Meyer (violin), and Mark O'Connor (bass). The album features James Taylor and Alison Krauss, vocal artists. Beautiful American music.

Great Line-up of talents.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dogears » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:18 pm

OT, JT also collaborated with Ma in his Hourglass album :) Recommended :D
dogears
Master
Master

Postby marty_e » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:32 pm

arnoldc wrote:As much as I would like to keep the Open Baffles, I need the space.

These beautiful OBs are now with Ed Fausto (toobs) ;)

I kept the drivers :D

Boss Arnold what did you replace the OB's with?
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to OPEN BAFFLES