Who bought an Altec driver lately?

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Who bought an Altec driver lately?

Postby arnoldc » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:07 pm

yung mga pasaway dyan... umamin! :lol:

- Tropang CEBU, yes silang tatlo :lol: :lol:
- Si Atty. (blind item)
- Si kwan (aba, dalawang pairs pa! ako lang taga pickup, hehehe)

Ubos na ang Altec 403A, 2459A sa Pinas... unless mag unload uli si Mang. Johnny :lol: :lol:
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Re: Who bought an Altec driver lately?

Postby iceman90a » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:00 pm

arnoldc wrote:yung mga pasaway dyan... umamin! :lol:
- Si Atty. (blind item)
Ubos na ang Altec 403A, 2459A sa Pinas... unless mag unload uli si Mang. Johnny :lol: :lol:

hanep si AB naka OB! yan ha di OT :D
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Who bought an Altec driver lately?

Postby Audioboy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:40 pm

iceman90a wrote:
arnoldc wrote:yung mga pasaway dyan... umamin! :lol:
- Si Atty. (blind item)

hanep si AB naka OB! yan ha di OT :D

si AB naka altec pero wala pa OB.

:D :D :D
Audioboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:04 am

Get that OB going. Expect a detailed clear sound with defined base. Your music will be easier to listen to, imagine 95 dB senz. even at lower volumes. There's some decent dynamics and boy the contrast between loud and soft is something I love specially on classical programme. Don't get troubled if it's extended or not, the music is all there!

Arnold isali mo si Ferdie sa tropang cebu. Nagmamadaling gumawa, at twice nang nakinig sa bahay. There seems to be an exodus! Kaya lang naubusan ng manna sabi mo si Mang J.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby setup1 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:19 am

[quote="ichabod"]Get that OB going. Expect a detailed clear sound with defined base. Your music will be easier to listen to, imagine 95 dB senz. even at lower volumes. There's some decent dynamics and boy the contrast between loud and soft is something I love specially on classical programme. Don't get troubled if it's extended or not, the music is all there! quote]

Hi James,

Are the 403As you guys have the same as the one pcitured in the late 70s Altec literature posted in this forum? If so, this is not the same 403A I once had. I had the 60s alnico version and the highs were quite extended. However if the later ceramic version has less HF extension, don't be afraid to add a super tweeter. Use a 1 uf paper cap + a variable L-pad then season to taste.

Regards,

JE
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:57 am

Hi JE,

NOt to sure which model I got. But these seems to be an earlier model using alnicos. I've seen a different version that has an enclosed back where you can't see the magnets similar to the 755s. Mine are open and the magnets can be seen like those older speakers. I don't miss the treble part as it has that energy and are surprisingly detailed. It's been improving I notice after these have not been used since when God knows only. Vocals both male and female are clear to the throat and robust/stable. My cup of tea speakers also for classical music.

Maybe someone can post the versions.

PS

I've looked again at the 403A in the site posted here. The ones I got are not the same as these. Even the metal basket albeit green as altec are not the same. But I've also seen another version sold at epay that looked better than the simple ones I got. So now I think there are three versions I see.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audioboy » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:07 pm

another version of the 403a series.
Audioboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby setup1 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:11 pm

ichabod wrote:Hi JE,
NOt to sure which model I got. But these seems to be an earlier model using alnicos. I've seen a different version that has an enclosed back where you can't see the magnets similar to the 755s. Mine are open and the magnets can be seen like those older speakers. I don't miss the treble part as it has that energy and are surprisingly detailed. It's been improving I notice after these have not been used since when God knows only. Vocals both male and female are clear to the throat and robust/stable. My cup of tea speakers also for classical music.
Maybe someone can post the versions.

The alnico version has a 'U' shape bracket attached to the center of the frame and the magnet is inside this bracket, about 1" diameter IIRC. Anyway alnico magnets don't exactly = great sound. It's the sum of the parts that count. Ooops, just saw the pic pop out, that's alnico. NICE!

I'm glad a lot of people have had positive experience with the OB. It's not perfect but as you guys have realized, it's hard to beat that midrange [given a decent driver]. Next time you're in Manila you should visit Joel so that you can hear his 755Cs. Maybe if Nonong isn't too busy he'll bring his priceless 755As too.

OB is the equivalent of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's axiom in architecture, "less is more".

Regards,

JE
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:14 pm

The above picture is exactly like the ones I have with a slightly different basket and in altec green.

The decal with those markings are the exactly same as the ones in my possession.

THanks for the picture audioboy.

Yes JE. I have a standing from Joel to visit and listen again, this time with the 755Cs. I hope the 403 alnicos can acquit itself in comparison. I'd love to also listen to the 755As as well if that can be arranged by Joel.

I agree with the quote "less is more." Ludwig must have been a good photographer as well to say that!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:17 pm

I also have an Altec 403A (isa narin ba akong PASAWAY??!!!) :lol::lol: pero ito yung galing kay Rene, hindi kay Mang Johnny

Si Choobs meron ding Altec 403A (Hinihiram ko noon)...
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

AR-1 ALTEC 755A

Postby NEDWELCH@VERIZON.NET » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:17 am

I HAVE AN AR-1 ALL ORIGINAL SER MID 400'S WITH AN ALTEC755A AND THE ORIGIANL AR WOOFER BEST OFFER FOB HAVERHILL MA 01830
NEDWELCH@VERIZON.NET

Return to OPEN BAFFLES