LS3/5A and OBs

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Postby ichabod » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:04 am

Calling Arnold,

Take a vacation to Cebu. I want the high priest, to be assisted by Grant, to bless them OBs for good sound! How about it?

I finally got my OBs yesterday. Took a little over 4 hours to make. The furniture baffle carpenter finished the whole thing in a cinch. Amazing! For someone who's had a foretaste of the OBs and them altecs, who won't get excited!

So last nght I had a long intimate romance with these "quad 57" looking monoliths. The comparison does not stop there. I hear a wide open window of sound. Easy going. The highs takes a calmer presentation without tweeters. That's what I noticed. One good point I guess going single drivers. But more than that. The presentation, the mids specially, have a clarity that does not shout at you despite the fact I was driving them with a stromberg carlson pp amp using two 6DY7s power tubes driven by 6u8s. For sure, the altecs obliged me with the illusion that the Nat King Cole Jazz Trio was in my room. I like these altecs and OBs specially on classical pieces. They don't lord it over your ears. Suave, gentle, and graceful with a very subtle way of presenting the layers of musicians and their music. For Nat, I can even turn my back to the speakers and keep the illusion that he's just behind. I remember Arnold saying Rey Valera was in his room. I heard that, and believed his claim. Well, Nat was in mine!

But I guess this is talking way too much! If you'll pardon the the hyperbole and little excitement since I'm a newbie to this OBs and altecs. I wonder what the Western Electric 755As might do to Nat Cole. MOre later. Oscar is waiting. Got to go.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:33 am

hi james, i'm glad you liked them. lagot ka nasa, LS3/5 thread ka :twisted: :lol: lipat ka dun sa kabila :)

another OB fan :)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby ichabod » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:47 am

You're the high priest of the OB elisk altar. Count me in as a zealot.

Which reminds me of the fact that many LS lovers have turned to altec sd speakers. "Not surprising" as JE puts it!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:41 pm

may pumakyaw ng mga Altec 403A dito sa manila :lol:

musta si Oscar? nagustuhan ba?
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Return to OPEN BAFFLES