Altec and open baffle

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Postby arnoldc » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:51 am

joseph, how blind can i be :( it is indeed 2459A!

here's the front view

and here's the whole OB beside my Infinity Kappa

arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby zetroce » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:18 am

arnoldc wrote:joseph, how blind can i be :( it is indeed 2459A!

here's the front view

and here's the whole OB beside my Infinity Kappa

Arnold,

Ganda nyan ha! :) Puede pang pang-takip sa libo-libo mong plaka, para hindi pa halatang piranha, :D :D

You're using Plywood for your baffles, papalitan mo ba yan ng MDF? Which is better?

Cheers! 8)
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:21 am

libo libong plaka? how i wish :D

according to joseph, MDF is one thing to avoid in an OB, so i won't go for it. i do have an executive table in the office which is huge and i can make an OB out of those. but i don't know what kind of wood (real or fake) it is. bopol ako sa kahoy :D however, there is a devilish shove that tells me to use 3/4" acrylic :D:D:D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby red76 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:07 pm

Jackpot ka dyan Arnie... :) If you end up with the final baffle dimensions and driver mounting/placement, do a Wood + Acrylic combo. Mount the main drivers with the "coupled" acrylic and wood (acrylic pa rin for the most part of the baffle - wood is ther for extra rigidity), pwede high grade narra ply if you can't find hardwod stuff. D last time I went sa House of Wood sa Greenhills meron silang mga magandang kahoy di ko lang alam how much. Yung baffle support at the back can be wood or steel.

arnold:

saan plans nyang horn na yan?

I'll PM it to you as soon as I can.... I have an FT20H horn tweeter (98dB), you can borrow it kung di kukunin ng pinsan ko yung 2way Fostex bookshelf BR.
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby plasticman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:54 pm

hi sir arnold! sorry ngyon ko lang nakita ang thread mo.

anyway, those 2459's are very good sounding drivers. I believe the pair of setup3(Ding) also came from john poscablo. sir VD should also have a pair lying around in his audio room since, if memory serves me right, john gifted him with a pair when we went to sir VD's place to audition the Brines Fostex many moons ago.

good luck with your search for horn tweeters!
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:37 am

fred, thanks. how does the FT20H look like? ala 17?

tristan, i am now seriously considering using the Altec 2459A for a separate high efficiency speaker. sayang yung driver if i just use it that way. but definitely another OB is out of the question. puno na yung room ko :( maybe a folded voigt, transmission line, or even small bass reflex for the 2459A.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby ichabod » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:27 am

Arnold I have a pairof altec 8 inchers (full range) coming, are the open baffles something like 36w x 31h inches? How thick is the ply?

Thank you sir.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:44 am

james, something like that. better check joseph's site, we did it to the letter. the plywood is 3/4" i believe.

here's the plan from JE Labs website, i hope joseph will not mind.

JE Labs Open Baffle

with the excellent wood workers in Cebu i'm pretty sure you can come up with something really good looking. enjoy and let us know how it turns out (be prepared for a big sound, you will love it - lifelike).

btw, what are your Altec btw?
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby BonD » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:42 am

red76 wrote:Jackpot ka dyan Arnie... :) If you end up with the final baffle dimensions and driver mounting/placement, do a Wood + Acrylic combo. Mount the main drivers with the "coupled" acrylic and wood (acrylic pa rin for the most part of the baffle - wood is ther for extra rigidity), pwede high grade narra ply if you can't find hardwod stuff. D last time I went sa House of Wood sa Greenhills meron silang mga magandang kahoy di ko lang alam how much. Yung baffle support at the back can be wood or steel.

arnold:

saan plans nyang horn na yan?

I'll PM it to you as soon as I can.... I have an FT20H horn tweeter (98dB), you can borrow it kung di kukunin ng pinsan ko yung 2way Fostex bookshelf BR.

Sir red,

Can you tell me the exact location of House of Wood sa Greenhills?
Thank you. :)

Sir Arnold,

Baka dito ako makakita ng hardwood para sa project mo... :)
BonD
Citizen
Citizen

Postby red76 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:03 pm

arnold:

fred, thanks. how does the FT20H look like? ala 17?

Sa specs mas extended yung 17 kasi it's a true supertweeter, the FT20H also has a ceramic magnet and can be crossed over a bit lower I believe pero hanggang mga circa 22kHz lang. I really can't compare the 2, kelangan side by side comaparison yan. BTW, the horn is made of thick aluminum or magnesium and it sounds airy. Pag nahiram mo you could compare... =)

Handyman:

Can you tell me the exact location of House of Wood sa Greenhills?
Thank you.

It's just across Greenhills Shopping Center.... Right side corner ng Wilson St. They have Candadian, New Zealand Pine in all assorments and some Mahogany if I remember but in limited sizes, yung tipong pang driver cuopling support and stand lang behind acrylic baffles.. They have large some solid wood blocks too.
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:55 pm

fred, i mean physically :D i was thinking kung pwede coaxial mount yung FT17H eh.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby red76 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:18 pm

Oops bloopers :oops: :D , sound nasa isip ko. Mas maliit sya.. pero di pwede mount coaxially because the horn expansion is quite long. Here is a picture taken from a Japanese site:

ImageImage
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:44 am

Arnold, mine are a pair of 403s. Accordingly, they are not in the same league as the WE 755A, but the seller tells me they sound good on small wattage amps. That I would want to hear. Thanks for the dimensions.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:39 am

Hi Ichabod,
I have a pair of 403-As. Do you have the same? I have been wanting to use them on an open baffle but I am hesitant to do it because they seem too stiff for such a design. Pls. let me know how you fare. Thanks

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:59 am

Exactly. The dimensions are the ones arnold posted above. Mine is in transit. I should get it within this month or early next. I think they should be driven with a set amp as was recommended. Let's compare notes by then.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:13 am

mandy, with your big music area, the open baffles could be ideal. with the kind of wood you have access to and the skills you possess, i'm pretty sure you can make a very beautiful open baffle! make us drool once more :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Tony M » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:14 am

Hi mandym,

I have pairs of 8" Altec 403A. 2459A and 409-8E. The first two are fullrange while the latter is duplex. I have use and tried them in different
baffle configuration.

I find the 403A nice sounding in an open baffle using Joseph's dimension. The 403A does not have the extension in high of the 2459A but more natural if properly break-in. It takes more than 100 hours for them to sing nice. I have use them also in a voight pipe paired with Fostex FT-17H.

On the other hand, 2459A sounded good in box enclosures. John, Dockie, Michael W., has good experiences with them using imported birch wood.

I have limited experience with my 409-8E, from what I read from the internet these speakers are popular in japan in open and box enclosures.

Try the 403A in an open box and you will be amazed of its nice sound.

Enjoy :lol:

tony m
Tony M

Postby arnoldc » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:41 am

hi tony, i am seeking your experience with the 2459A. i got this reply from the Altec board and i quote:

"Can't help much. As you've probably already surmised, it's a PA driver, so it will most likely be fairly high Q. Listed response is 80-13kHz and it appears to have the same on-off axis response in the critical BW centered around 2 and 4kHz as the old WE/Altec 755. It's PE is 10W and sens is listed as 97.7dB BW limited, so I assume it's in the standard ~125-2kHz BW, rolling off below/above for max intelligibility.
Anyway, without a LF/midbass system and tweeter, it's of rather limited use.

GM
"

can you comment on that post based on your experience with the 2459A?
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby troporobo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:05 pm

Arnold - May I follow up your experiments with the Fostex FT66? I'd like to know what values of caps you used to get the crossover at 5 kHz. TIA

Other speaker gurus: for future reference, does anyone know a web site where I can look up other values, or calculate them, for a tweeter plus a single full range driver? I tried the Speaker Design Calculator at http://www.mhsoft.nl/spk_calc.asp but it is giving me very strange results (quite possibly becuase I don't know what I'm doing!)
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tony M » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:32 pm

Hi Arnold,

The reply from the Altec Board is partly correct as per my experience. The Altec 2459A has really inadequate LF/MF but smoother and dynamic sounding compared to the 403A. That is the reason why I prefer these speakers house in box enclosures. But, to my ears, its high frequency
output seems more than the 13khz of its specifications and does not need the service of my Fostex FT 17H.

Enclosed in a good designed baffle, I heard it sings natural with the male and female voices conveying more emotions with the instrumentation music just within the room.

Btw, Tristan has a good design for the altec 2459A :) .

tony m
Tony M

PreviousNext

Return to OPEN BAFFLES