Wharfedale Super12 RS DD

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Wharfedale Super12 RS DD

Postby rajiv » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi,

I picked up a air of Wharfedale Super 12 RS DD full range speakers.
These are the Alnico magnet version.

Are these drivers good for open baffle use.

I have a pair of Altec 416 A woofers ,can I use them together in an open baffle?

Regards
Rajiv
rajiv

Re: Wharfedale Super12 RS DD

Postby setup1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Welcome to WS rajiv!

I've seen a couple of SFB3s but never had a chance to examine the drivers, let alone listen to them in a controlled environment. AFAIK, it had a 12" and 10" woofer + a smaller midrange/tweeter cone unit and later units had an upward firing cone super tweeter. As such, I am not in a position to give an opinion whether the 416/W12RS will match.

Here's a DIY tip before spending on plywood for OBs - get a cardboard box just big enough to act as a baffle to prevent as much rear radiated sound from escaping to the front, hook it up to an amp (preferably tube and low power). Listen in mono and focus on the midrange as well as the upper bass. Once you have a handle on the 12" driver's abilities, add the 416 and make sure the midrange does not get too muddled (remember you are running all of them in fullrange). This test will already give you an idea on the quality of the driver(s) as well as matching assuming you give enough leeway as to were to cut off or how far to let an individual driver go.

Basically this was how my friend Ding (sans cardboard box) in NYC settled on 604-8Gs/OB back in the late 90s. And more recently, Harana/Setup gang visited Lin Gomez in Angeles and did a similar test to Joey's 604 HPLN, albeit with an XO; didn't want to fry those original diaphragms. :lol:

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely give it a try...so if you do get satisfactory results please let us know.

Happy listening!
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Wharfedale Super12 RS DD

Postby rajiv » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:31 am

Hi Setup1,

Thank you for your reply.I will certainly try them out and post my impressions.

Regards
Rajiv
rajiv

Return to OPEN BAFFLES