Chinese replicas of vintage WE, RCA, Jensen & etc.

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Chinese replicas of vintage WE, RCA, Jensen & etc.

Postby setup1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Found this at Oswalds Mill Forum. The WE 555 field coil compression driver pictured is original, but click on the pic for the website that produces replicas.
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Chinese replicas of vintage WE, RCA, Jensen & etc.

Postby pigdog » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:52 pm

interesting, i also found a replica made by japanese and is available here, also note the asano kit amps

http://www.eifl.co.jp/index/export/gip/gip-ex.html

note the very high asking price! is there are specific advantage of field coil versus conventional drivers? i see that the really crazy japanese enthusiasts were into these type of horns
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby setup1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 pm

pigdog wrote:interesting, i also found a replica made by japanese and is available here, also note the asano kit amps

http://www.eifl.co.jp/index/export/gip/gip-ex.html

note the very high asking price! i see that the really crazy japanese enthusiasts were into these type of horns

A lot of American treasure hunters would agree the Japanese (as well as other Asian) enthusiasts are crazy that's why they are still exporting their audio heritage.The Japanese vintage audio market has been established several years ahead of the rest of the world. Based on Stereo Sound issues I've seen dating back to the 80s, replica makers have come and go since this is more of a cottage industry/handicraft.

It is just interesting to note that China sees a potential market too.....

pigdog wrote:is there are specific advantage of field coil versus conventional drivers?

Obviously there is no risk of demagnetization and supposedly the magnetic field is stronger and more concentrated/focused.
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:33 pm

i have seen a pair of field coil tweeters in HK recently and these are brand new units with modern design, made in japan. a bit complicated to have power supplies for each drivers!
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby brady » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:08 am

in the 40s - 50s field coils were popular. in fact builders then would also use the inductance created my the coil as filtering in the power supply. as materials required to create more powerful magnets became available, field coils faded from popularity.
brady
Citizen
Citizen

Return to OPEN BAFFLES