Re: OB pic of the day!

Postby Mamimili » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:46 pm

Now that looks rather elegant :clap: 8)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby setup1 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:49 pm

Here's another one from a Japanese guy having fun with vintage 6.5" fullrangers.

Click here for more info
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby setup1 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:27 am

Altec 409B (8" co-ax) in a mono OB:

Japanese audio blog.
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:10 am

WHAT FASCINATING, REFRESHING AND INSPIRING SITES!!

Thanks for leading me to them. Lots of ideas, wonderful craftsmanship, lots of devotion coming through.

Mandy
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby setup1 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:45 pm

mandym wrote:WHAT FASCINATING, REFRESHING AND INSPIRING SITES!!
Thanks for leading me to them. Lots of ideas, wonderful craftsmanship, lots of devotion coming through.Mandy

After Sound Practices ceased publication my only source of DIY/vintage inspiration were Japanese magazines and websites. Here's an interesting picture from the same blog site:

Live music against a back drop of vintage speakers in what seems to be a Jazz club setting. Jazz is perhaps America's greatest cultural export. Much appreciated in foreign lands than in their own, just like their classic audio equipment.

In my profession I've interacted with a lot of Japanese musicians and we Filipinos are not too distant from the ethos of their culture.

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 pm

This place looks beautiful, unpretentious and warm. My kind of Jazz Club. Those are great-looking (and great-sounding, I bet) speakers.

My only reservation is that Japanese jazz musicians in general are several notches below Filipino players. Note: I will quickly yield to contrary opinions because my exposure to Japanese musicians has been very limited :( :( .

Mandy
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby setup1 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:28 pm

mandym wrote:My only reservation is that Japanese jazz musicians in general are several notches below Filipino players. Note: I will quickly yield to contrary opinions because my exposure to Japanese musicians has been very limited :( :( .Mandy

I agree that in terms of being passionate, perhaps Filipino musicians have the edge due to hundreds of years of western influence. :)

However my point was passion in the pursuit of knowledge in Jazz. Not just how to play but the history of that genre, artists and their performing styles, which even trickled down to playback of historical/landmark recordings through vintage equipment. Sort of a time travel. It takes a lot of cultural sophistication to be able to delve that far just to learn a tidbit of foreign culture. But then Japanese culture extend back a thousand years. :)

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:17 pm

i find myself coming back and forth this thread every now and then, and am getting inspired by all of these. i got a pair of goodmans axiom 22 12 inchers full range drivers which i am currently putting up for sale ( a reluctant move) and a pair of altec 904-8H hoping to find a buyer for any of these drivers...BUT after looking at these pictures, i have been looking at my options, as both drivers are prime candidates for the open baffle. the goodmans in particular, has such a musical characteristic that i dont feel the need to add anything else to it. perhaps an advise from our more knowledgeable members here as to whether or not i should keep these drivers. and can anyone help me find a good carpenter who can build me a nice pair of open baffles? in these lean times, budget is a bit limited but i think now would be a good time to find new ways to enjoy these drivers.
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:55 pm

setup1 wrote:Altec 409B (8" co-ax) in a mono OB:

Japanese audio blog.

Uy, interesting.

Is it just me or is the mono OB really off-center?

I've never seen OB's this high...almost eye level when seated, no? I alway thought that the floor was part of the equation in getting OB's right. I've even read of people with OBs on the ceiling (if I'm not mistaken, setup1's HT pa nga yata iyun).

Those who run mono OBs, what do you do with stereo sources? I know some pre-amps / integrateds can be set to mono operation how is this most simply done?

Most OBs I've seen with wooden boards. I've seen some with acrylic. What are the audible differences?

Daming tanong 'no?

Here's the thing. The TV in my bedroom is in a corner. I'd like to improve on the tinny sound from the Samsung LCD. One option is a soundbar but mono OB at least to me is a lot cooler! But I'm not after simulating 5.1 right to left and front to back panning zings and swooshes. I'm after intelligibility of the spoken word. Plus, this could be my ticket to the much venerated 45s and 2A3s.
rtsyrtsy

Postby setup1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:05 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:Is it just me or is the mono OB really off-center?
I've never seen OB's this high...almost eye level when seated, no? I alway thought that the floor was part of the equation in getting OB's right.

Considering the limitations of Google Language Tools :devil: , I can only speculate that it was based on the IEC baffle:

Click on pic for more info re: IEC baffle

rtsyrtsy wrote:I've even read of people with OBs on the ceiling (if I'm not mistaken, setup1's HT pa nga yata iyun).

That was for center channel and the small size of the baffle limited bass response. :( I got tired of HT/5.1 quickly....but now you gave me an idea....hook the TV to my mono system. 8)

rtsyrtsy wrote:Those who run mono OBs, what do you do with stereo sources? I know some pre-amps / integrateds can be set to mono operation how is this most simply done?

Phono: Denon DL102 for stereo LPs and GE RPX or VRII for mono LPs. Line level: Dyna FM3 tuner with a faulty multiplex, thus mono output sometimes I rig a CD player with a "Y" cable.

rtsyrtsy wrote:Most OBs I've seen with wooden boards. I've seen some with acrylic. What are the audible differences?

Perhaps acrylic for cosmetic reasons? :lol: But seriously the material is too expensive for experimenting, maybe somebody else can chime in.....to my ears, tongue in groove flooring material was a significant improvement over local plyboard - thanks to BenC and Joel! :rock: :rock: :rock:

rtsyrtsy wrote:Here's the thing. The TV in my bedroom is in a corner. I'd like to improve on the tinny sound from the Samsung LCD. One option is a soundbar but mono OB at least to me is a lot cooler! But I'm not after simulating 5.1 right to left and front to back panning zings and swooshes. I'm after intelligibility of the spoken word. Plus, this could be my ticket to the much venerated 45s and 2A3s.

The internet provides a wealth of resources for DIY/experimentation. You may start by studying the IEC baffle (don't know much about it except that it is used for testing) and then post the results of your DIY efforts.

Good luck and happy DIY/listening!

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:03 pm

setup1 wrote:That was for center channel and the small size of the baffle limited bass response. :( I got tired of HT/5.1 quickly....but now you gave me an idea....hook the TV to my mono system. 8)

Your welcome. I cannot believe that an idea from a non-DIYer managed to intrigue a a master DIYer. :D

setup1 wrote:mono output sometimes I rig a CD player with a "Y" cable

Wow, I didn't realize that it' that simple.

setup1 wrote:The internet provides a wealth of resources for DIY/experimentation. You may start by studying the IEC baffle (don't know much about it except that it is used for testing) and then post the results of your DIY efforts.

Actually, I went through the SETUP site right after posting my earlier thread. Unfortunately, giving me a soldering iron, a saw, or a schematic could easily be another three lines in Alanis Morissette's song "Ironic." :?:

This is where I really miss being in Manila where budget lang and problema and where this idea is just phone call or visit away to get joe3p's woodworking, top techs like Hypertiode, MR (who I've not met but seems to getting lots of press here) to build an amp, etc. *Sigh*
rtsyrtsy

Postby setup1 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:58 am

Found a couple OB pics in my HD which didn't quite make it on time for the old website.
more info

Finally got around to do an exercise in aesthetics... :lol:
more info
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:16 pm

setup1 wrote:Finally got around to do an exercise in aesthetics... :lol:
more info

This gave me a mental picture of a Manny Baldemor commissioned street scene, is it Malabon that has the speaker shootouts?
A large whole wall sized Baldemor mural incorporating an OB…..
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Alas, OB with WAF!
rtsyrtsy

Postby setup1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:15 pm

setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby polaris » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:00 am

awesome...

terrific work setup1....that phy driver looks sumptuous...

i suddenly feel sad knowing bernard salabert is no longer with us.. ;(
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dieya! » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 am

Great!! :clap:
dieya!
Citizen
Citizen

Return to OPEN BAFFLES