Goodmans Axiom 201

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Re: Goodmans Axiom 201

Postby pigdog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:40 pm

setting up the goodmans as an open baffle may be a good idea JE, since i got a pair myself and am not sure what to do with them, at some point i was considering selling them, but having played with it recently, i had a change of heart, these are wonderful drivers, but with limited funds, perhaps an open baffle may not be such a bad idea afterall. i can mate these pair with my vintage Leaks 12.1 or with a 300B the goodmans from my experience has a distinctively refined sound that is musical, it is not known for heavy bass associated with the altecs and the JBLs, i wold consider these lovelies more like distinctive classic english sportscars. think of them as classic Aston martins, or jaguars.
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby setup1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:17 am

pigdog wrote:setting up the goodmans as an open baffle may be a good idea JE, since i got a pair myself and am not sure what to do with them, at some point i was considering selling them, but having played with it recently, i had a change of heart, these are wonderful drivers, but with limited funds, perhaps an open baffle may not be such a bad idea afterall.

Sherwin's 201s are in big (at least 4-5cf IIRC) bass reflex cabs custom made to Goodmans' blueprint. However there's a guy in the USA who sent me a pciture of Goodmans in an OB.

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:38 am

with your permission Paul, i'd like to ask the good gentlemen here if pair of Pioneer PIM 30A drivers i own are any good for OB or for enclosures?

thanx!

(my apologies for piggybacking on your thread Mamimili :$ )
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:36 am

pigdog wrote:setting up the goodmans as an open baffle may be a good idea JE, since i got a pair myself and am not sure what to do with them, at some point i was considering selling them, but having played with it recently, i had a change of heart, these are wonderful drivers, but with limited funds, perhaps an open baffle may not be such a bad idea afterall. i can mate these pair with my vintage Leaks 12.1 or with a 300B the goodmans from my experience has a distinctively refined sound that is musical, it is not known for heavy bass associated with the altecs and the JBLs, i wold consider these lovelies more like distinctive classic english sportscars. think of them as classic Aston martins, or jaguars.

Dont forget those classic affordable Lotus Esprit' :rofl: :rofl:
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:41 am

kabubi wrote:with your permission Paul, i'd like to ask the good gentlemen here if pair of Pioneer PIM 30A drivers i own are any good for OB or for enclosures?

thanx!

(my apologies for piggybacking on your thread Mamimili :$ )

Granted!
All information is welcome for this OB newbie :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:56 am

hi paul,

is the goodman drivers available locally?
thanks in advance.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby Mamimili » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:02 am

setup1 wrote:Congratulations Paul! I'm glad you liked the OB.

The cheapest route to a mono cartridge is a Stanton 500 with spherical stylus. I don't know if it is available locally but you can find the the V3 version on eBay for about $30. For years I used this cartridge for mono LPs with the coils connected in series - one channel "hot" connected to the other channel "ground" and take the signal out of remaining "hot" and "ground" (the pin that has a ground tab). It isn't tonearm fussy and just about any moderate mass arm tracking at about 3 grams will get you started. The GE RPX and DL102 are heavy cartridges that require massive tonearms which you can set your sights on at a later date.

That Goodmans 201 is a lovely sounding speaker and very efficient! I built this SE71A (750mW) amp for my friend Sherwin in NJ who also owns a pair of 201s.

WIth efficient speakers like the 201, 1W can go very loud. The 605B/OB we exhibited is about 97dB/1W/1.2M and was driven by a 1500mW SE10 amp. Try DIYing an SE amp. The biggest outlay would be a good quality output transformer and desired DHT output tube. I've been impressed with the quality of locally wound power transformers and chokes.

Happy listening!

je

Thanks Joseph :clap:

I am trying to memorise your web site (OK, just driver numbers).
As an OB newbie, i feel the amount of advice and passion coming from all of you is outstanding!

One point i have noticed with the 201 is a lack of source material tolerance. I am using CD's as a source for now, and while a good CD sounds great a bad CD sounds terrible!

Cheers, Paul
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:03 am

halls wrote:hi paul,

thanks in advance.

i know where you can get a pair that needs a little fixing ;)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:07 am

kabubi wrote:

thanks in advance.

i know where you can get a pair that needs a little fixing ;)

next time we see each other, please recommend the best driver for a mono setup...i was inclined to get altec something un me trompa sa gitna ng driver. ;) :) i also need a buddy to get the other half just in case 8)
TheAnalogSource

Postby Mamimili » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:09 am

thanks in advance.

Hello Noly

I got the 201 in England a few years ago, i think it was less than $30.
It's just been sitting quietly waiting for me to do something with it, and the SetUp room at the HiFi show made me pick up my jigsaw and cut a hole in a board.
I am very pleased with the result for so little effort, this is something everyone can try 8)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:12 am

thanks Paul,

the mono setup has been on the wishlist for quite some time now....hope to have time to build one soon :)
TheAnalogSource

Postby setup1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:22 am

kabubi wrote:with your permission Paul, i'd like to ask the good gentlemen here if pair of Pioneer PIM 30A drivers i own are any good for OB or for enclosures? thanx! (my apologies for piggybacking on your thread Mamimili :$ )

Here's a PIM8 that I've successfully tried in an OB.
If your PIM30A looks anywhere close to the suspension construction of the PIM8L then it is a candidate. But the best way to find out is to try. I know some internet gurus preach Qts values but when G.A. Briggs experimented with this baffle dimensions such numbers/measurement did not exist. Some technical background is important but that in itself mean nothing if it won't sound good.

Hope this helps!

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:23 am

Rear of the 201:

My first "technical" question regarding the small 8"x6" piece at the top of the OB.
Why 8"x6"?? I wonder if this size because it "covered" the width and depth of the original driver used for the first OB??
If so i should make mine 12"x6", anyway i shall experiment.

I now have the rear wings/legs and the top piece fitted on the prototype, the difference is subtle but yes it does something good.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby setup1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:32 am

Mamimili wrote:My first "technical" question regarding the small 8"x6" piece at the top of the OB.
Why 8"x6"?? I wonder if this size because it "covered" the width and depth of the original driver used for the first OB??
If so i should make mine 12"x6", anyway i shall experiment.
I now have the rear wings/legs and the top piece fitted on the prototype, the difference is subtle but yes it does something good.

The top plate did not exist in the original GA Briggs design. It was an additional feature in the Stereo Sound "butcher block" OB article and the size remained constant when they evaluated various drivers including 15" 604-8Ks. IME as well as Ding, Joel and Nonong it focuses the midrange down to upper bass. But we use similar preamps/amps. You are free to experiment and tune in the context of your system.

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby stereophile » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:36 am

Hi, Paul. Seems the analog MONO bug is biting hard! :lol: Congratulations on your OB GA 201! :clap: :clap: :clap: I agree, the SET-UP room was analog candy to me! :D I am sure your mono system is not too far behind. :) :) :)
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby Mamimili » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 pm

stereophile wrote:Hi, Paul. Seems the analog MONO bug is biting hard! :lol: Congratulations on your OB GA 201! :clap: :clap: :clap: I agree, the SET-UP room was analog candy to me! :D I am sure your mono system is not too far behind. :) :) :)

Cheers Lito :D

It's so easy to do, why did i wait so long?
Of course i have not really spent any money yet so improvements will have to wait until after Christmas.........cart, arm, amp, IC.....where will it end?

I feel like i have left the rat race of the highway and am now wandering down a leafy country lane, smelling the roses in the pub garden, drinking a cool pint of cider while munching (monching??) on a sausage sandwich. Music makes you lose sense of time or should that be losing my mind? Or i am just enjoying the simple pleasure of mono.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 am

setup1 wrote:
kabubi wrote:with your permission Paul, i'd like to ask the good gentlemen here if pair of Pioneer PIM 30A drivers i own are any good for OB or for enclosures? thanx! (my apologies for piggybacking on your thread Mamimili :$ )

Here's a PIM8 that I've successfully tried in an OB.
If your PIM30A looks anywhere close to the suspension construction of the PIM8L then it is a candidate. But the best way to find out is to try. I know some internet gurus preach Qts values but when G.A. Briggs experimented with this baffle dimensions such numbers/measurement did not exist. Some technical background is important but that in itself mean nothing if it won't sound good.

Hope this helps!

je

Joseph,
actually it looks like this:

kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:40 am

Mamimili wrote:Cheers Lito :D

It's so easy to do, why did i wait so long?
Of course i have not really spent any money yet so improvements will have to wait until after Christmas.........cart, arm, amp, IC.....where will it end?

I feel like i have left the rat race of the highway and am now wandering down a leafy country lane, smelling the roses in the pub garden, drinking a cool pint of cider while munching (monching??) on a sausage sandwich. Music makes you lose sense of time or should that be losing my mind? Or i am just enjoying the simple pleasure of mono.

Hi Paul. What tonearm/ttable will you set-up for mono duty? An extra tonearm for your 124 in a bigger plinth? Or a new vintage ttable?! ;)
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby setup1 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:26 am

kabubi wrote:
Joseph,
actually it looks like this:

That looks similar to the Lafayette SK58 (Japanese OEM). More info - mono OB. As I've said there are no hard and fast rules. You just have to try and listen like Paul did.

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby setup1 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:37 am

stereophile wrote:Hi Paul. What tonearm/ttable will you set-up for mono duty? An extra tonearm for your 124 in a bigger plinth? Or a new vintage ttable?! ;)

Hi Paul/Doc Lito,

TD124? Here's an idea...

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to OPEN BAFFLES