Goodmans Axiom 201

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Re: Goodmans Axiom 201

Postby Mamimili » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:53 pm

plasticman wrote:
halls wrote:hi paul,

is the goodman drivers available locally?
thanks in advance.

Hi sir halls,

if i remember right, caloy/spare2win had a pair of Goodman 12" drivers for sale around a month ago. Baka available pa! ;)

Sorry sir paul for the OT

Hey Doc, not OT ;)
Any and all information is very welcome!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Latest revision, plywood instead of the fibre board i used to get started.
It is a sound improvement, and it looks a lot better :D

Equipment so far : Goodmans 201, Heathkit amp and a Trebax horn tweeter (on it's way, in the mail).
I am still looking for an arm, i will use a denon 102 cart.....and that will finish the mono OB system.

Except, the baffle needs to be improved aesthetically.
It seems impossible to find a piece of spruce or maple large enough (i guess that would mean a rather large tree) so i will have a board made up from Nyatoh, learn how to use a router and counter bore the baffle so the 201 sits flush and bevel the board edges.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby DCO » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:36 pm

Mamimili wrote:Latest revision, plywood instead of the fibre board i used to get started.

Equipment so far : Goodmans 201, Heathkit amp and a Trebax horn tweeter (on it's way, in the mail).
I am still looking for an arm, i will use a denon 102 cart.....and that will finish the mono OB system.

It seems impossible to find a piece of spruce or maple large enough (i guess that would mean a rather large tree) so i will have a board made up from Nyatoh, learn how to use a router and counter bore the baffle so the 201 sits flush and bevel the board edges.

Hey paul,
is that a rottweiler?
:)
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:46 pm

DCO wrote:
Mamimili wrote:Latest revision, plywood instead of the fibre board i used to get started.

Hey paul,
is that a rottweiler?

Yup, that's his long face after waking up. He goes into a deep sleep listening to music :D
If i don't let him into the music room, he knocks the door down................. :rofl:
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby DCO » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Mamimili wrote:
DCO wrote:

Hey paul,
is that a rottweiler?

Yup, that's his long face after waking up. He goes into a deep sleep listening to music :D
If i don't let him into the music room, he knocks the door down................. :rofl:

Hahaha Alright! :clap: :clap:
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pigdog » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:09 pm

i just posted this on another thread, i do have a goodmans and mine is an older one this is a goodmans axiom 22 12 inch full range driver. currently hooked it up to an 845 and the sound is beautiful. it is currently being offered for sale and a potential buyer is still considering it. i think these axiom 22 are a good candidate for the open baffles
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Added a Goodmans Trebax tweeter, detail improved, A Lot :D
I tried different angles and finished with the tweeter board almost vertical. If i turn the main OB around to it's correct position bass overwhelms the room, so for me it is still an upside down OB.

Mick the dog is very pleased with the improvement, he will not leave the room :lol:
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby pigdog » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:32 pm

hi paul i have looked into the trebaxx myself, these are very nice tweeters and cost effective as well, how did you work on the crossover?
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby obi » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:37 pm

hi paul and congrats on that superbly done OB with tweeter. just to second pigdog's q, how was the crossover done. i might try it with my OB as well.

obi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:51 pm

pigdog wrote:hi paul i have looked into the trebaxx myself, these are very nice tweeters and cost effective as well, how did you work on the crossover?

Hello Chester
Very cost effective at $39!
This is the Trebax with integrated 5000c/s crossover, so i just used as is. (I like an easy life).
The Trebax without integrated crossover (small round horn) seems very hard to find.

I thought the 201 by itself was good, but this tweeter has added a whole new dimension, i am very pleased with it.

Cheers
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:07 pm

obi wrote:hi paul and congrats on that superbly done OB with tweeter. just to second pigdog's q, how was the crossover done. i might try it with my OB as well.

Cheers obi, now i have to go to Ikea and replace the bread board i cut up :rofl:
See above for the integrated crossover information. I forgot to state it has a pre-wired L pad so easy to tweak.
One day i might measure the resistance and replace the L pad, or maybe make a better stepped attenuator....

As cash allows i am following Goodmans stage built system (i think from 1964).
The mono OB follows their recommendation for an Axiom 201 and Trebax 5K/20XL.

Later this year i hope to do a Goodmans based stereo pair of OB's. I have pairs of Audiom 60 bass, nos Midax midrange, nos Trebax tweeters and 950/5000c/s crossovers waiting in the UK
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby pigdog » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Mamimili wrote:
pigdog wrote:hi paul i have looked into the trebaxx myself, these are very nice tweeters and cost effective as well, how did you work on the crossover?

Hello Chester
This is the Trebax with integrated 5000c/s crossover, so i just used as is. (I like an easy life).
The Trebax without integrated crossover (small round horn) seems very hard to find.

I thought the 201 by itself was good, but this tweeter has added a whole new dimension, i am very pleased with it.

Cheers

where did you find them? can you pm me ?
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:20 pm

pigdog wrote:
Mamimili wrote:

Hello Chester

Cheers

where did you find them? can you pm me ?

eBay!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Previous

Return to OPEN BAFFLES