New Musical Fidelity V Series Components

New Musical Fidelity V Series Components

Postby aresti » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Dear All,

New Musical Fidelity Value components have arrived!

V-CAN Headphone Amp: P9,600.00

V-LPS Phono Stage for MM and MC: P9,600.00

V-DAC Digital-to-Analog Converter/or with USB: P12,500.00
aresti
Citizen
Citizen

Re: New Musical Fidelity V Series Components

Postby bass_nut » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:35 pm

wow !!! another tempting headfi gears sir Atty Romy :rock: \o/ :music: :y: :clap:

thanks for sharing :bow:

kindest regards,
fer
bass_nut
Master
Master

Postby zenaudio » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Interesting range, and reasonably priced :o though a downgrade in the looks department IMHO.

I wonder how it sounds, esp the phono stage and head amp. Potentially great value.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby aresti » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Per Musical Fidelity’s Overviews (quoted from their website):

The V-Series is a new ultra-value super-performance series which offers incredible value for money. As a result of careful engineering, the V-Series has state-of-the-art, no compromise circuitry housed in a nicely finished but modest package.

Design background:

Most high-end components offer incredibly bad value. Why do we say this? Because, as crazy as it sounds, about four to five percent of the cost of good value high-end electronics is in the actual electronics that do the work. The other 95% of the cost is in the metalwork and other items that don’t contribute to sound production or sound quality. Basically, high-end is a lot of show and not much go for a huge cost.
Musical Fidelity has always tried to offer value for money. We feel that to offer grossly overpriced bling is an insult to customers – so we have turned the conventional cost-ratios on their head. By doing this, we are able to offer state-of-the-art performance at shockingly low prices.

The V-Series is the result of our iconoclasm. We have eliminated pointless metalwork, bling and packaging, and concentrated on performance. Typically, the V-Series has 60% to 70% of its cost in electronics. The quantity and quality of components in any of the V-Series is pretty well identical to those from high-end components costing ten times (or more) the price. The difference is that the V-Series is housed in nicely finished, economical metalwork as opposed to bloated high-end excess.
Once you take this approach, everything begins to fall into place.

On the V-CAN:

The V-CAN is a genuine state-of-the-art headphone amplifier. Most high quality headphones have impedance of around 30 Ohms. Almost all headphone amps have an output impedance between 50 and 100 Ohms. Because of their high output impedance they cannot drive headphones properly. Any sound they produce through the headphones is necessarily coloured, with distortion and non linear frequency response. The V-CAN is quite different. It's output impedance is 5 Ohms. This means it will drive any headphone available with ease. It will produce low distortion, ruler flat frequency response and complete linearity.

On the V-DAC:

The V-DAC is a sensational state-of-the-art DAC. By any measurement its performance is way beyond so-called state-of-the-art competition.
The V-DAC has lower noise, better linearity, ruler flat frequency response, excellent stereo separation, ultra low distortion, and incredibly low jitter
In fact overall the technical performance of the V-DAC is probably about the best in the world regardless of price. There is no trickery here. It's simply that we use state-of-the-art digital components (these are very expensive) and implement them with state-of-the-art circuitry and layout. The secret is simple; there's no ridiculous packaging, and absolutely no wastage on anything. The V-DAC is rather like an F1 racing car. It is completely funcitonal with no excess flab or wastage anywhere.
The V-DAC has inputs for Coax, Optical and USB.

On the V-LPS:

The V-LPS is a very high performance MM/MC Phono Stage. It is technically correct. It has virtually perfect RIAA (±0.3dB 20Hz - 20kHz), extremely low distortion, wide overload margin and very low noise. By every tehnical measure it is top quality.
We achieve this by putting our kW Series phono stage circuitry into a package which is extremely economical. It really isn't rocket science, all y have to do is to be determined to make incredible value for money. And that's the V-LPS!

Aresti's comments: Considering the value-for-money of MF products, of which I own 8 separate audio components, I just thought I’d share these with you.
aresti
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:45 pm

any chance i can audition the V DAC?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby aresti » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:50 pm

VD, I'm sure that can be arranged. Please call DCM Melvyn Chua at 912-3771 (tomorrow) or 09175370652. I can also arrange your audition of the units with Melvyn. My cell is 09177947493.

He asked me to post the availability of the V units when they arrived. Pls let us know your thoughts on them.
aresti
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:43 am

i now have the V-DAC breaking in quite nicely in my den ;)

* tried it as a regular DAC on a sony cdp

*tried it as an outboard DAC using USB out of a laptop

next is try it using the iPod mounted on a Wadia 170i :)

i sthe V-PSU also available locally?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby aresti » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:04 am

Sorry but the V-PSU is not yet out but orders for the units have been placed. Will let you know once it ships...

Musical Fidelity has not yet posted the unit on its website, and Acoustic Sounds says that it is backordered, but without a picture of the V-PSU.
aresti
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ProtegeManiac » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:33 am

Is the V-10D still available? Im considering a V-10D+V-DAC+V-PSU, although not yet, my walet's still dry. but definitely within the year.

vintage_dog wrote:i now have the V-DAC breaking in quite nicely in my den ;)

How is it on the Sony CDP? Im curious as to how this performs but Im also considering the analog output may not perform as well in a loudspeaker set-up, like it may not provide a strong enough signal to the preamp.
ProtegeManiac
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Is there a 12 months 0% interest scheme for the V-DAC? Price is cheap enough so if I make a mistake it's no big deal.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby chadwick » Wed May 13, 2009 9:35 am

vintage_dog wrote:i now have the V-DAC breaking in quite nicely in my den ;)

Hi Sir, how's the V-DAC with the Wadia 170i? Also, did you buy your Wadia Transport locally? Thanks!
chadwick
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Wed May 13, 2009 10:11 am

i posted my impressions here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21510&p=328997#p328997

net, am extremely pleased with this DAC especially with an upgraded power supply.
i got this locally via rene rivo
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby chadwick » Wed May 13, 2009 11:51 am

Thank you for the quick reply, sir. This helps making my purchase decision a lot easier.
chadwick
Citizen
Citizen

Return to ** DCM Audio **