Audio Research Fans

AUDIO RESEARCH [high definition tubed electronics Brand New and Classic Models] and other Audiophile Gear

Moderator: sensible

Postby qguy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:00 pm

just read the specs for this beast.. requires 20 amperes and consumes 900 watts at idling......warm up palang parang air con ang katumbas...

m_shoe_maker wrote:How about the D250 :?: :) 130 pounds of aluminum, steel, and glass. :o I had to borrow the services of Senor Sensible's macho driver to help me carry the beast to my listening room at the 2nd floor.

It had 32 valves (I think - I forgot na :roll: ). What I'm sure about is that it had 20 pcs of 6550s. :twisted: 8 per channel + 4 for the power supply. :o Even with 4 built-in cooling fans, that thing literally heated-up my listening room. :twisted:

Power requirements :?: Boy, whenever I turn on the beast, lights in our house would flicker. :twisted:
qguy
Master
Master

Postby Spectral » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:26 pm

Visited Senor recently and did a little catching up. Saw all the ARC products that were in stock. Excitement set in pretty quickly. My passion for ARC products still lingers within me though I don't own any at present. Saw an old friend too, ARC afficionado all the way. Dr. LL. last time I talked Audio Research with him, he was not married and had no children yet!! Tagal. To all ARC fans, its time to revive the fire!!!

Gamby, the last man standing is a misnomer, Im not quite the narrow minded type who appreciates only solid state gear. :wink:

:D
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby handyboy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:36 pm

Spectral wrote:Visited Senor recently and did a little catching up. Saw all the ARC products that were in stock. Excitement set in pretty quickly. My passion for ARC products still lingers within me though I don't own any at present. Saw an old friend too, ARC afficionado all the way. Dr. LL. last time I talked Audio Research with him, he was not married and had no children yet!! Tagal. To all ARC fans, its time to revive the fire!!!

Gamby, the last man standing is a misnomer, Im not quite the narrow minded type who appreciates only solid state gear. :wink:

:D

Yes you are not narrow minded....i know that...pero "ows"... :D
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby jadis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:39 pm

LG has brought in some heavy goodies from ARC, and I mean HEAVY, top line stuffs from ARC. I understand the Ref210 power amp, Ref3 line stage, PH7 phono stage and the CD7 are all in....Should visit you soon, my friend...
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:54 pm

How much would those stuff cost, my friend :?:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby JackD201 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:07 am

Specky, long time no see! How you doing?

My very first piece of tube gear was an LS16 Mk.1 from Senor partnered with your amp's twin. This was the core of the Lair's first system along with Maggie 1.6s again the tisoy brother of your speakers some time back. Mukhang pareho taste natin even if we hadn't seen or spoke to eachother since college. Seems like a long time ago but it really wasn't huh?
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Spectral » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:21 pm

Yup Jack pareho nga taste natin, I like ML, ARC, Maggies, Von Shweiks and etc. eh hindi ka naman nangiinbita. hehehe. paano tayo magkukuwento?

Senor brought in the ARC heavies alright can't wait to see them!!

Hey Gambs hahaha!! :D

Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:11 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:How much would those stuff cost, my friend :?:

I think 'my friend' is very busy entertaining home demos, but I kinda heard that the Ref210 is 20k, Ref3 at 10k, Ph7 at 8k, and CD7 at 9k SRP, all in dollares. It's better not to add them all together so they would look
'cheap'. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:19 pm

jadis wrote:
m_shoe_maker wrote:How much would those stuff cost, my friend :?:

I think 'my friend' is very busy entertaining home demos, but I kinda heard that the Ref210 is 20k, Ref3 at 10k, Ph7 at 8k, and CD7 at 9k SRP, all in dollares. It's better not to add them all together so they would look
'cheap'. :lol:

:shock:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby JackD201 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:24 pm

Spectral wrote:Yup Jack pareho nga taste natin, I like ML, ARC, Maggies, Von Shweiks and etc. eh hindi ka naman nangiinbita. hehehe. paano tayo magkukuwento?

Senor brought in the ARC heavies alright can't wait to see them!!

Hey Gambs hahaha!! :D

Ayaw mo kasing uminom eh! :lol: Lets set something up soon.

Got a text from Senor but I wasn't able to make it. I'll make sure I'm there the next time around.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby egay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:45 am

SP16.
simple.
under-stated.
non-traditional ARC outside, true-blue ARC inside.
:wink:

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:00 am

Where is KOK?

Not only is he King Sith Lord, he is also K-O-ARC!!!

(Not to mention Blue Note King, Koetsu King, Isolation King.............:lol:)

Ref 3 - PH7 - Ref 610 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Pati author ng thread na ito nawawala :evil: Spectral, where are you?
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:20 am

JackD201 wrote:Where is KOK?

Not only is he King Sith Lord, he is also K-O-ARC!!!

(Not to mention Blue Note King, Koetsu King, Isolation King.............:lol:)

Ref 3 - PH7 - Ref 610 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Pati author ng thread na ito nawawala :evil: Spectral, where are you?

I think is he planning on how to expand his kingdom......ang hirap ng problema na yan... :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:44 pm

I'm also an ARC fan. I started with the SP 8 preamp D 70 power amp after I graduated from university. Then I ended with the SP 14 preamp D 115 power amp. To this day, I still consider the D 115 one of the best bass amps. Then, I returned to the ARC camp last year with the SP 3 preamp, D 76 power amp. This is totally non-fatigue listening. Presently, my new toy is the ARC 150.2 digital amp.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Spectral » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:44 am

'08 update for ARC fans anyone?? Whats up????
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

AUDIO RESEARCH ACQUIRED BY ITALIAN GROUP!!!

Postby dafos » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:21 pm

January 30, 2008 — Audio Research, one of the companies that created the Silver Age of American high-end audio 38 years ago, was acquired by Italian private equity firm Quadrivio SGR on January 25. Quadrivio, which acquired Sonus Faber in 2007, intends to keep Audio Research's current management team in place.
Audio Research founder and President William Z. Johnson will continue with the firm as honorary chairman, but will step aside from day-to-day operations. Terry Dorn will be President, Gerald Oxborough will become CFO, Ralph Fetter will continue as managing director of manufacturing, David Gordon will serve as managing drector of sales, and Ward Fiebiger will be managing director of engineering, as well as supervisor of product design.

"This is a fabulous fit for us," said Dave Gordon. "Quadrivio has proven with Sonus Faber that they get what high-end audio is all about—and they get Audio Research. They wanted us because of what we do, so they want us to continue doing it. The only changes you're going to see are new products as we introduce them."

One of the worst-kept secrets in high-end audio over the last few years was that Audio Research might be on the block, "to the right owner and for the right price," which many industry insiders interpreted as "William Z. Johnson kinda does and kinda doesn't want to do it." Coming off of the two best years in the company's history, it was obviously the right time—and Quadrivio, by all reports, seems to be the right buyer.

Along similar lines, TC Group, the Danish parent company of UK speaker manufacturer Tannoy Group, and Gibson Guitar announced a merger on January 18. "This merger will revolutionize the music industry for many years to come," said Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson. The merged company will be known as Gibson Guitar Corp and will remain based in Risskov, Denmark. Anders Fauerskov will be Chief Operating Officer. The deal should be finalized by the end of February 2008.

As to products, nothing earth shaking, just updated their sp 16 preamp to sp 17 and now using 6H30 tubes (there goes tube rolling), updated the vs 110 stereo power amp to vs 115, again now using 6H30 signal tube.
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dafos » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:37 pm

mmm, seems ARC and Sonus Faber now owned by one Company, interesting...Hope these two distinguished marquees can hold on to the very high standards that have made them legends in the audio world.
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:31 pm

Fearless Forecast: We will still see those usual ARC rack mount handles....... but it will be made of wood. :twisted: :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby dafos » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Fearless Forecast: Active Sonus Faber Model with built in ARC Tube Amp!
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Spectral » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:59 am

Actually in my opinion Sonus Faber speakers sound better with ARC than CJ's . Well good! now they are sister companies. hahahahaha.....

One combination I have heard that is still etched in my memory was the LS15 + VT100mk 2 running Sonus Faber Guarneri's with those ultra expensive Sitech pure silvers. WOW!!!! pero matagal na ito... :lol:
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to >> SENSIBLE AUDIO <<