Audio Research Fans

AUDIO RESEARCH [high definition tubed electronics Brand New and Classic Models] and other Audiophile Gear

Moderator: sensible

Audio Research Fans

Postby Spectral » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:01 pm

Hola Senor Gelano. Greetings! Its hard to believe but its been approx. 20 years since we've met, how time flies. Anyway here are the ARC products that I have admired since the brand has been introduced to me. Have also owned several models of them. D-79,D-79C,D125,CL30,CL60,CL120,VT100.VTM200,Reference2,PH2,PH3,DAC1 & 3, LS15,LS25. Other Audio Research fans and users please sign up here too. :D

o
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dafos » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:32 am

kamusta Spectral!, Lito told me who you are. See you Saturday. How time has flown, and I should have taken pictures of the ff arc gear that have graced my room: D-115, D-70, Classic 30, Classic 60, VTM 120, Classic 150 mono blocks (these are genuine room heaters!), VT 100 mk 2 (still w/ me), SP-9, LS-2, CA-50, LS-16, Ref 2 (this is an absolute killer, still w/ me), CD-3, PH-3 (just acquired), not to mention the various arc products auditioned then, now and in the future at Lito's place.
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:59 am

How about the D250 :?: :) 130 pounds of aluminum, steel, and glass. :o I had to borrow the services of Senor Sensible's macho driver to help me carry the beast to my listening room at the 2nd floor.

It had 32 valves (I think - I forgot na :roll: ). What I'm sure about is that it had 20 pcs of 6550s. :twisted: 8 per channel + 4 for the power supply. :o Even with 4 built-in cooling fans, that thing literally heated-up my listening room. :twisted:

Power requirements :?: Boy, whenever I turn on the beast, lights in our house would flicker. :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

ARC

Postby Spectral » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:37 pm

Oh yes!! The venerable D250!! Once heralded as the best amp in the world, (during its time). But by today's standard still a very formidable performer. I have heard that amp with another fine piece ARC put out, the SP10Mk2 yata yan eh. The sound is still world class despite its age. How could I have forgotten to mention this. Add that to my list. MSM would you by any chance be from the south? not so far but far enough south? :D :D :D

Hola Jerry!!!!

Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Re: ARC

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:01 pm

Spectral wrote:Oh yes!! The venerable D250!! Once heralded as the best amp in the world, (during its time). But by today's standard still a very formidable performer. I have heard that amp with another fine piece ARC put out, the SP10Mk2 yata yan eh. The sound is still world class despite its age. How could I have forgotten to mention this. Add that to my list. MSM would you by any chance be from the south? not so far but far enough south? :D :D :D

Hola Jerry!!!!

Medyo OT: 8)

Yes, Spectral, I grew up somewhere a bit south. :) But now, I live in Makati. :) But before the year ends, I'll be transferring back to the south, yes, not so far, but far enough south :?:

Back to Topic: Baka ma-ban eh. :lol:

My dream ARC pre-amp was the 2 pc. SP11. :twisted:

Remember the good 'ol days when Senor Sensible used to advertise at Bulletin Today during Saturdays and Sundays :?: I always looked with amazement at his ads. :) Puro ARC :!: Senor Sensible is D'MAN :!: :shock:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

ARC

Postby Spectral » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:20 am

Yes msm, I remember those times all too clearly, Manila Bulletin classified ads. Boy I wish those times would somehow come back. Would you happen to be a doctor?

YEAH Senor Sensible!!!! your the man!!!!

Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:18 pm

Spectral wrote:Yes msm, I remember those times all too clearly, Manila Bulletin classified ads. Boy I wish those times would somehow come back. Would you happen to be a doctor?

YEAH Senor Sensible!!!! your the man!!!!

Haneps ah :!: Doctor na ko :!: :o Doctor Frankenstein siguro. :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Nope, I'm not a doctor.
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby mozilla » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:40 pm

Congressman Micob
mozilla

Re: Audio Research Fans

Postby noctilux » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:27 pm

Spectral wrote:Hola Senor Gelano. Greetings! Its hard to believe but its been approx. 20 years since we've met, how time flies. Anyway here are the ARC products that I have admired since the brand has been introduced to me. Have also owned several models of them. D-79,D-79C,D125,CL30,CL60,CL120,VT100.VTM200,Reference2,PH2,PH3,DAC1 & 3, LS15,LS25. Other Audio Research fans and users please sign up here too. :D

o

Hey Spectrum!!! ah eh, Spectral pala..
There's a weird feeling whenever I mention your name. I just try not to say it twice...
Yessss! Long live ARC fans. Ever since I owned my first one, the D76, could never listen to stereo without one. Ah, eh, sa yo nga pala galing yung D76 na yon! The D76 was my practice unit for mods. Great classic ARC design where the D79 based it's design on. A bagful of input, phase inverters and cross-coupling tubes, giving a true balanced output. Kaya hayup yung grip sa speaker. both lines are live, pushing and pulling, no reference to ground.
Sorry about my babbling, na-senti lang ako. Thanks for the memories Spects!

rgds
nocty
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Spectral » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:04 pm

Hahahaha hi noct!! remember those HK trips we had, after 2 days you won't want to see another amp,cd etc. for the next 6 months!!!

Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:29 pm

What a nostalgic topic. ARC products occupy always a special place in
a lot of tube lovers' heart, myself included. My first tube amp was the
D-115MKII which at the time for me was like buying half a car. From that time on, all my amp upgrades, or even downgrades, were tube-types.
And despite my lack of knowledge in tube rolling in those days, I loved
the way these ARC amps sounded, the other being the D125. I pursued
other brands and other flavors, namely, the CJs, the VTLs, the Jadis monos, ultimately, landing back to the full circle, ARC again, with the
VS110s- and with quite a happy ending (seemingly).

As for pre-amps, I had the SP10MKII, SP14, and now the PH3
phono stage. All had its times of glory, and needless to say, I enjoyed
them all. I don't know why I passed on several chances to own an
SP3 or a D79 amp back then, when the Sp3 cost only 10,000 and you
can even choose from its several plate finishes. But today, 2 of my
friends have recently bought a set of Sp3 and D79 combo, each.
And one set is paired with the IRSII set. Lo and behold, it can still
sing. And for those who have not seen this tribute page of ARC
products, pls find time to visit the ff URL.

http://www.arcdb.ws/
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dafos » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:17 am

They still stubbornly refuse to provide an e mail address, though. You want a question answered, you call lor fax long distance and pay the price of being put on hold!
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:30 pm

jerryalz,

yes, that is the WORST part. but they are joined by Magnepan in this....maybe
it's the Minnesota syndrome...
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:23 pm

jerryalz wrote:They still stubbornly refuse to provide an e mail address, though. You want a question answered, you call lor fax long distance and pay the price of being put on hold!

True. :( But I did send them some fax inquiries before, and it was answered the next day by the main-man himself, William Zane "Bill" Johnson. :o :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

ARC

Postby Spectral » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:03 pm

I know some one who bought an ARC preamp and power amp pair in HK. It was an LS15 and a VT100. Titanium finish WOW!! guwapo. The punchline is his cables are more expensive than his preamp and amp. Siltech pure silver. The sound? FANTASTIC! Another superb sounding ARC LS15 and VT100 is badongs set up, using SF Grand Piano Concerto (tama ba model?). The LS15+VT100 combo is a favorite of mine among ARC combos. :D

Jadis! I had the chance to listen tou your SP14, D125 Thiel etc. set up. That was one very meomorable event for me. The sound was very lifelike!! Its been a long time now so I guess its safe to tell you that I liked it a lot better than the sound you had when you switched to the VTL deluxe. Anyway I would very much like to get to hear your present set up, I hope I can do that together with Jeanne. What say ya?? :D :D See ya soon!!

o
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:45 pm

Spectral,

Yeah... in some ways the D125 was kinda 'euphonic' to the ears, much more than the
D115MkII which by comparison, would be 'lean' sounding. And the VTLs, they were not the
monos I originally intended to buy. It was a replacement for the 225 (that one I owned
eventually was the 120s/75-Class A triode at 75w and pentode class B at 120w, with
switches on the fly to do this), so I kinda had to compromise for the sound. The 225, btw,
broke down, one mono, upon opening of a SEALED! unit....my first and only experience of
a defective sealed unit. Re the session with sinar, I told her to just let me know when. She
will call you once it's set.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Spectral » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:25 pm

Thanks Jadis!! will coordinate with sinar.

:)
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:28 pm

Hey ARC fans, do you remember one of the first projects of Bill Johnson :?: It was an ARC ST70, or an ST70 souped-up to become an ARC amp, or something to that effect. :roll: :? :roll:

Any feedback on that one :?:

I used to see some conversion instructions/manuals being sold for $5 at EBAY before. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby boobtube » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:49 pm

Never knew ARC started that way until Jadis posted a link to this ARC website(unofficial). This website tells a lot!

boobtube
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pc-sp11 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:42 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
Spectral wrote:Oh yes!! The venerable D250!! Once heralded as the best amp in the world, (during its time). But by today's standard still a very formidable performer. I have heard that amp with another fine piece ARC put out, the SP10Mk2 yata yan eh. The sound is still world class despite its age. How could I have forgotten to mention this. Add that to my list. MSM would you by any chance be from the south? not so far but far enough south? :D :D :D

Hola Jerry!!!!

Medyo OT: 8)

Yes, Spectral, I grew up somewhere a bit south. :) But now, I live in Makati. :) But before the year ends, I'll be transferring back to the south, yes, not so far, but far enough south :?:

Back to Topic: Baka ma-ban eh. :lol:

My dream ARC pre-amp was the 2 pc. SP11. :twisted:

Remember the good 'ol days when Senor Sensible used to advertise at Bulletin Today during Saturdays and Sundays :?: I always looked with amazement at his ads. :) Puro ARC :!: Senor Sensible is D'MAN :!: :shock:
pc-sp11

Next

Return to >> SENSIBLE AUDIO <<