PH 5

AUDIO RESEARCH [high definition tubed electronics Brand New and Classic Models] and other Audiophile Gear

Moderator: sensible

Postby JackD201 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:38 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
ihatejazz wrote:But on cost-no-object items we keep see prices skyrocketing. What could it be?

IMHO, in this market lies a big chunk of the gullible and or status conscious audiofools. :twisted: With all the money in the world, these people just buy the most expensive stuff thinking that its the best, and or would give them the most pogi points to probably to cover up their ugly looking faces. :twisted: :lol:

Manufacturers simply love preying on this bunch. :twisted:

Those are the guys that PAY for the R&D that trickles down to us eventually. Be thankfull.

Manufacturers have small custom runs for new products and the tooling costs for this is divided by that same small number. If it clicks then they distribute the fixed develoment cost to the higher volume, down stream line e.g. TNT-HRX "type platter" on an Aries 3 or in this case the new transformers for the PH5.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby KD » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:56 pm

Hear, hear.

Please don't call them ugly because they are not. Bumisita na kina Belo at Calayan yang mga yan. Ang gu-guwapo nila! :)

I hope they continue their existing spending habits.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby Oldfogey » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:17 pm

I agree with Jack :D After all, where would the sonic advances come from without edge-of-the-art products? Unfortunately, these assaults on the state of the art do come with hefty price tags :cry:

There's always the pre-owned market as an alternative :D
Oldfogey

Postby raffy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:18 pm

Got my ph5 2 weeks ago from senor and for the money it ROCKS!!!

Of course when I picked it up I saw the ph7 worth 3x the price but the exterior and most importnatly the interior is totally new with 7 6922s. In the AR report this ph7 even blew their old ref phono. Expect a ref phono in the near future from ARC. For now, the ph5 will be in my system for quite a loong time.

Soundstage grew much larger, more and better bass compared to my old ss phono, also had the black cube se in my system for a while, this was trampled out of the box, and most importantly gave warmth to my CA cart and rig. Of course this is in my system, so take this with a grain of salt.

raffy
raffy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby handyboy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:41 pm

raffy wrote:Got my ph5 2 weeks ago from senor and for the money it ROCKS!!!

Of course when I picked it up I saw the ph7 worth 3x the price but the exterior and most importnatly the interior is totally new with 7 6922s. In the AR report this ph7 even blew their old ref phono. Expect a ref phono in the near future from ARC. For now, the ph5 will be in my system for quite a loong time.

Soundstage grew much larger, more and better bass compared to my old ss phono, also had the black cube se in my system for a while, this was trampled out of the box, and most importantly gave warmth to my CA cart and rig. Of course this is in my system, so take this with a grain of salt.

raffy

no kidding?
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby sinar » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:37 pm

raffy wrote:
had the black cube se in my system for a while, this was trampled out of the box ..........

i think this is an unfair comparison because of the huge price difference of both said units.
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:09 pm

sinar wrote:raffy wrote:
i think this is an unfair comparison because of the huge price difference of both said units.

exactly what i thought: comparing rigs of different price range is not the way i'd do it, although sometimes i am tempted just to prove to myself that my measly rig can at least equal that of more expensive counterparts so i would be happier...

but then i'd slap myself silly: my belief is that in this hi-end business, the difference in sound/music reproduction of rigs belonging to specific price range shouldn't be all that obvious, unless such rig is obviously a rip-off in the first place :P, i suppose one needs to have the ears of those high-fallutin' reviewers like fremer (did i spell right) or astor or their likes, to really "hear" the difference... "flea's whisper?"...

makes me wonder why there is now a proliferation of "exotic" designs, and by this i mean more on their physical apperance (e.g. space ship CDPs)... must be a field where hi-end can measure their differences.

... and then there is equipment compatibility and setup ...
many variables.

just me.
.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to >> SENSIBLE AUDIO <<