1st Timer Perspectives

Moderator: detubo

1st Timer Perspectives

Postby SD-6 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:45 am

I visited yesterday. What was amazing to me that Filipino brands, FIlipino building materials and Filipino craftmanship can go toe to toe with $120,000 a channel speakers.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Everyone was really really nice and accommodating. It was a thoroughly unique experience where in I had to go room to room visiting all 3 floors.

I look forward to another next year.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Re: 1st Timer Perspectives

Postby dimfer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:30 am

any pictures?
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:21 pm

seeing is believing!
hearing makes one believe even more!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby buzzlite » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:23 pm

SD-6

I share your sentiments. I hope we're talking about the same room at the 5th floor :D
buzzlite
Citizen
Citizen

Postby geriboy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:37 am

SD-6 wrote:I visited yesterday. What was amazing to me that Filipino brands, FIlipino building materials and Filipino craftmanship can go toe to toe with $120,000 a channel speakers.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Everyone was really really nice and accommodating. It was a thoroughly unique experience where in I had to go room to room visiting all 3 floors.

I look forward to another next year.

This is the first time that I have attended the November HiFi Show. Great to have witnessed the event last weekend.

I have the same sentiments as well, sir SD-6. Honestly, I was more impressed with the rooms showcased by our local DIY-ers more than "most" of the foreign brand audio setup, most especially with the following:
1) sir Rene Rivo's room - really great setup (Lenco turntable, DIY tube phono stage, DIY tube pre-amp, DIY tube power amp, ProAc Tablette bookshelf speakers, DIY speakers c/o sir Larry, and the digital source [laptop -> audioquest dragonfly -> MF X10D tube buffer -> preamp/amp/ProAc).
2) sir Anthony of Anthony Audio - great speaker line-up! Personally, I liked the Titus Gold bookshelf speakers and the Voca cube speakers.

I agree that our local DIYers can go head to head / toe to toe with the other foreign brands :D

Overall, me and my mom liked the room with the Harbeth M30.1 speakers + Accuphase E260 integrated amp + Accuphase SACD?/CD/DAC setup. I apologize, I couldn't remember who brought this setup. Ang alam ko, taga-Cebu sila. :D

What we didn't like about the setup of some of the participants is that there was too much bass and treble in their setup; "ang sakit sa dibdib ng bayo... sobrang tinis ng tunog". Maybe the volume control was turned up too high. Their setup would have probably sounded better if the volume was set up moderately, and/or if they were able to play songs/music that were more appropriate with their setup. I noticed that some people would stay for a short period of time in these rooms; papasok sila, makikinig ng konti, tapos lalabas agad, as if they were not impressed with their setup. Sayang :(

Overall, the November Hi Fi show was a success! We hope to see more in the next shows to come.

Congratulations again to the organizers, sponsors, and participants of the Hi Fi Show!
geriboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:56 am

Anthony Audio is a true stand out. What caught my eye was the DOST logo on the poster outside their room.

That got me curious so I queried the gentleman with glasses about the genesis of Anthony Audio.

My apologies in advance if my basis on the brand is price. It may not sit well.

For the money the sound is more than I was expecting. In terms of cabinet finish it is more than I was expecting for the money also.

Going room to room is indeed interesting and I totally understand why this was done. I could imagine how terrible the HiFi would have been if they setup in WTC or SMX.

Not a challenge/rebuke geriboy but I think Anthony Audio & the other Filipino audio makers are more than DIY. They spent a pretty sum to be part of the only HiFi show in the Philippines.

==========

In all the rooms I sat in and closed my eyes to immerse myself in the sound I was greeted with politeness and courtesy. I felt like how a customer should be treated with people who did not hesitate to give me a knowledgeable answers to my questions.

Wish Philippine retail was like this. It would make shopping a much more enjoyable feeling.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby geriboy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:06 am

SD-6 wrote:Anthony Audio is a true stand out. What caught my eye was the DOST logo on the poster outside their room.

That got me curious so I queried the gentleman with glasses about the genesis of Anthony Audio.

For the money the sound is more than I was expecting. In terms of cabinet finish it is more than I was expecting for the money also.

Going room to room is indeed interesting and I totally understand why this was done. I could imagine how terrible the HiFi would have been if they setup in WTC or SMX.

Not a challenge/rebuke geriboy but I think Anthony Audio & the other Filipino audio makers are more than DIY. They spent a pretty sum to be part of the only HiFi show in the Philippines.

==========

In all the rooms I sat in and closed my eyes to immerse myself in the sound I was greeted with politeness and courtesy. I felt like how a customer should be treated with people who did not hesitate to give me a knowledgeable answers to my questions.

Wish Philippine retail was like this. It would make shopping a much more enjoyable feeling.

Shucks, I didn't notice the DOST sign/logo on the poster of their room.

You're right sir SD-6 regarding sir Rene, sir Anthony, and our local Filipino audio makers. I just couldn't think of a better word/term for DIYer :)
geriboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:11 am

I totally agree, DIY does not apply to most of them anymore. Their experience, build quality and number of completed projects tells me they are pros.. maybe we should start calling them local brands or local builders :rock:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 am

Another first timer here...

I went to the show before but very briefly and only to say hi to some friends. This is the first show where I got to sit and listen.

I found that there were both good and bad set-ups amongst both the high dollar and entry level offerings. I never really cared much for the DJ rooms but I admit, I am not the market for such stuff.

Amongst the high dollar stuff, I finally understood the appeal of Magico-Hegel, planar magnetic headphones and their competition from more traditional headphones like the HD800, Grado RS1e, etc., DeVore's Orangutan, Line Magnetic's integrated 845, etc. I learned that while I am happy with my current Naim set-up, that SET-high sensitivity speaker combo is still a road I wish to travel. Can someone refer me to a hypnotist so I can make my wife believe that two large refirgerator-sized horn speakers with 24 inch drivers look like svelte Sonus Fabers bookshelves?

Sadly, I did not spend enough time with Ferdi's Harbeth + Accuphase--maybe a visit to Cebu is in order!

I was happiest to see the very strong interest in vinyl--there is hope yet for the MP3 generation! :devil: Seriously, all the care that the dealers put in setting up their system plus all the show-goers are proof positive that this hobby will not just survive but will in fact thrive.
rtsyrtsy

Postby geriboy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:43 am

rtsyrtsy wrote:Another first timer here...

Sadly, I did not spend enough time with Ferdi's Harbeth + Accuphase--maybe a visit to Cebu is in order!

I was happiest to see the very strong interest in vinyl--there is hope yet for the MP3 generation! :devil: Seriously, all the care that the dealers put in setting up their system plus all the show-goers are proof positive that this hobby will not just survive but will in fact thrive.

Sir Ferdi's room was one of the rooms where both me and my mom stayed the longest. I didn't know that the only store selling Harbeth speakers in the country is in Cebu. Kaya pala wala ako makita dito sa Manila. Yeah, I also mentioned that I will visit sir Ferdi's place if I get the chance to go to Cebu in the future.

My parents were impressed by the resurgence of tube and vinyl lovers locally. They even encouraged their grandson (he's 13 years old) to take up audio engineering in the future :) Although, my nephew is still interested in sports and playing andorid games in his smartphone :D
geriboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby geriboy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 am

SD-6 wrote:...
==========

+1 on this too, sir SD-6! :D
geriboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:23 pm

SD-6 wrote:Anthony Audio is a true stand out. What caught my eye was the DOST logo on the poster outside their room.

==========

Here's Anthony Audio featured on abs-cbn.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nuvo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:21 am

Anthony has a few more features that is now starting to be compiled in his website --> Anthony Audio Speakers
Nuvo

Postby dimfer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:46 pm

I won't make to the HiFi show again... I hope to see reports with pictures :D

pls..
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to NOVEMBER HIFI SHOW