Simplest / Cost effective way to Treat walls of a Music Room

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby iceman90a » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:49 am

Mael,

if you need help moving stuff around to experiment with spkr placement, gimme a holler :)
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:37 pm

Mael, if you have suck-out here's a tip.

Break the rules :lol:

Start with the speakers equidistant (front of your baffles) from the front wall AND the side walls. Kung hindi pa maging boomy yan problema na talaga :!:

Move them around until you get the best mix. This is a trick often used also when using power amps without enough juice.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby conspicuous » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:01 pm

JackD201 wrote:Mael, if you have suck-out here's a tip.

Break the rules :lol:

Start with the speakers equidistant (front of your baffles) from the front wall AND the side walls. Kung hindi pa maging boomy yan problema na talaga :!:

Move them around until you get the best mix. This is a trick often used also when using power amps without enough juice.

jack, i have the center of the dyn audience 72 tweeters about 12 inches from the side wall which means the speaker box side is around 7-8 inches from the wall. the front of the speaker is around 2 feet away from the front wall (the wall that i'm facing when listening). so in other words i have the speakers pretty much tucked away in the corner :) this i found gave me the best bass response without boom. i only experienced slight boominess at around 120hz when i had the audience 42 speakers which are rear ported. so moved them away from the side and front wall.

maybe the fact that the 72s are front ported helps me bring them close to the walls without boominess? or is lack of boominess just plain bass suckout kaya? :?

or the st-70 isn't high powered enough to produce boominess? :? actually even with 100w ss amp i still wasn't able to produce boom.
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:23 pm

conspicuous wrote:maybe the fact that the 72s are front ported helps me bring them close to the walls without boominess? or is lack of boominess just plain bass suckout kaya? :?

or the st-70 isn't high powered enough to produce boominess? :? actually even with 100w ss amp i still wasn't able to produce boom.

Hmmmm. Let's try this. Play a Jaco Pastorius CD and if you can hear all the notes of his bass guitar as different notes and not the one note rhumba then I'd say you have no problem at all. :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby conspicuous » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:58 pm

JackD201 wrote:Hmmmm. Let's try this. Play a Jaco Pastorius CD and if you can hear all the notes of his bass guitar as different notes and not the one note rhumba then I'd say you have no problem at all. :D

i don't have any jaco pastorius but the double bass line in "use me" (patricia barber - companion) and "all or nothing at all" (diane krall - love scenes) are pretty tight, deep and tuneful :D however, playing a frequencies cd (10 to 3000 hz) i noticed that some frequencies (80 - 120hz) appear to decrease in volume compared to those lower and higher than in that range. hence my thinking that there is suckout somewhere. but basically in my sweetspot i'm getting good bass response ("equalization?") which i also attribute to nearfield or monitor-like listening condition.
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby conspicuous » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:54 pm

iceman90a wrote:Mael,

if you need help moving stuff around to experiment with spkr placement, gimme a holler :)

op cors, kapit bahay! :D one of these weekends siguro. :)
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jomar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:47 pm

troporobo wrote:I didn't really know for sure what my room response was like, but I suspected both issues. So a made a set of DIY fiberglass wall panels and a couple of tube traps, both from compressed fiberglass. They made a huge (yes I really mean HUGE!) difference for my room. I still don't know if the response is flat, but its a lot better. One of these days I will have to get the right test equipment and find out

I also had a great success is using a DIY bass trap based on Jon Risch recipe. Actually even the commercial tube traps are made of compressed fiberglass .. so the DIY route is still the cheapest. I made half of the Tube reflective/diffusor and the other half for absorbtion so that i can tune the response to my liking. It made a lot of diiference in taming the bass since i moved my Hifi setup in a small dedicated room ( 2.6m X 3.3m). I am also using Eight Nerve product for the top corners for the echoes.

jomar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:21 pm

Nice inputs shared by everyone so far. Just like to add that application of DIY or branded room treatment is just a part of the equation. Success, or satisfaction of each listener is also dependent on proper speaker placement as Jack pointed out. Start by adhering to some rules, if it does not work out, break the rules. I think I did the latter. :) I have been to radical rooms, untreated rooms and treated rooms alike, and liked some and did not like some. I believe there are no absolutes. Our rooms are very different from each other, so different approaches can be made. Learning by experimenting is very valuable here. In the end, our patience will reap us a lot of rewards.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Previous

Return to Jadis' Corner