SS Part 4B: Latest Transformation - The Big Macs

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby Audio_Tyro » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:09 pm

Did the Burmester CDP came close to analog sound?
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:18 pm

micob,

honestly, i would say it is close. because when i close my eyes i am able to 'feel' the music. one trait i always look for in vocals, for example, how reproduced sound can capture the EMOTION of the singer. in a way, i am looking for an O-A type of performance, yung feel na feel, like what i see a lot in live singers, they sometimes close their eyes and clench their fists while belting out a piece, like they really FEEL what they are singing. if i close my eyes and 'SEE' this in reproduced music, that is my benchmark. and i say last night the Bumester player did just that, something an analog source would normally do to me.
Last edited by jadis on Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:52 pm

Just to add something, the Burmesters came with their own brand of interconnects, balanced type. There was an instance where MIT Terminators were used and they sounded anemic and hollow; signifying that a mismatch even in this area is a formula for disaster.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dafos » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:03 pm

Philip, knowing what a die hard analog buff you are, that's mighty high praise from you regarding these two super cd systems. BTW, the tube lover you also are, it might interest you and for others to know that ARC has recently introduced a new CD player, the CD 7 with a TUBE REGULATED, tube output stage, all for $9K?? While dcs made its mark by introducing upsampling, and burmester's claim to fame are its belt driven transports, this is the first time I've heard of a cd player using tube regulation for its tubed output stage. Unfortunately for tube rollers, it uses the 6H30 "super tube," which, unless you have access to a 60's vintage MIG fighter plane, you won't have an oportunity to tube roll. Kudos to your excellent pics of this super set-up.
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:57 pm

Thanks, Gerry. I am well aware that this system is an all-SS system, save for the Shanling player; and an all-digital system. When I visit people's system, I try to remove my own bias. I speak for myself, but sometimes I want to listen to all other systems using a blindfold, so as not to influence my bias. The POWER of pre-conceived notions is TREMENDOUS in people. I cannot deny that. I like to assess systems for their strengths rather than their weaknesses. And I would like to make my visit to anyone as enjoyable as I can, regardless of what they use. This kind of thinking has, in fact, helped me shape my own system, to pick strengths of certain things and evade the weaknesses.

Maybe Lito will want to bring this super ARC tube CD to my uncle??? How bout that, my friend? Just say the word....
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:21 am

A day before the opening of the hi-fi show, I was able to visit once again my uncle's place as he has the Burmester 911 amp hooked up. Built like an 'alien hatch' and seemingly indestructible, it once again showcases the marvelous engineering work of Dieter Burmester.

And Burmester's own design of a 'powerline conditioner', with a digital readout for voltage fluctuations. The cost of this can buy you a pair of nice Italian loudspeakers. :)

'Group Shot'

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:47 pm

This coming Thursday, I heard that the Eggleston Ivy will be no more...to be replaced by another colossal pair of loudspeakers...
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:34 am

The Wilson flagship Alexandria X2 was ushered in last night by none other than JR of LIS. 4pm was the start of the installation time and by 9pm the first CD was starting to play. Initial positioning lasted till 12 midnight and the spikes were still not installed...I had to call it a night. What can we say? $100k worth of beef and one cannot be disappointed. It comes with even a jack ( the thing you need in a case of flat tire, not our honorable congressman :) ), a boxful of industrial tools and one of the most fantastic looking owner's manual I've ever seen. What else can I say...I'm lucky to hear these things for free. :lol:

File photo. Hope to come up with actual pics soon. Forgot my cam yesterday.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:46 am

jadis wrote:The Wilson flagship Alexandria X2 was ushered in last night by none other than JR of LIS. 4pm was the start of the installation time and by 9pm the first CD was starting to play. Initial positioning lasted till 12 midnight and the spikes were still not installed...I had to call it a night. What can we say? $100k worth of beef and one cannot be disappointed. It comes with even a jack ( the thing you need in a case of flat tire, not our honorable congressman :) ), a boxful of industrial tools and one of the most fantastic looking owner's manual I've ever seen. What else can I say...I'm lucky to hear these things for free. :lol:

VR-11s will come with a Jack, a Keith and an Albert VS :lol: AND a forklift. Please extend my congratulations to "Uncle" I heard about it from "Kumpare" this morning ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby EsoTec » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:20 pm

I saw the Eggleston Ivy being wheeled into the listening room of LIS last night (i counted about 6 guys pushing it, that's 6 on one speaker at a time! :), that's about at least 12 handprints on the granite sides ) inside were Halcros waiting to be connected. I wonder how much trade-in value he got for it. :D
EsoTec
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:23 pm

EsoTec wrote:I saw the Eggleston Ivy being wheeled into the listening room of LIS last night (i counted about 6 guys pushing it, that's 6 on one speaker at a time! :), that's about at least 12 handprints on the granite sides ) inside were Halcros waiting to be connected. I wonder how much trade-in value he got for it. :D

Alas, we may never know.........
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:26 pm

JackD201 wrote:
jadis wrote:The Wilson flagship Alexandria X2 was ushered in last night by none other than JR of LIS. 4pm was the start of the installation time and by 9pm the first CD was starting to play. Initial positioning lasted till 12 midnight and the spikes were still not installed...I had to call it a night. What can we say? $100k worth of beef and one cannot be disappointed. It comes with even a jack ( the thing you need in a case of flat tire, not our honorable congressman :) ), a boxful of industrial tools and one of the most fantastic looking owner's manual I've ever seen. What else can I say...I'm lucky to hear these things for free. :lol:

VR-11s will come with a Jack, a Keith and an Albert VS :lol: AND a forklift. Please extend my congratulations to "Uncle" I heard about it from "Kumpare" this morning ;)

yan ang tinatawag ba 'heavy duty' jack with accompanying 'set tools'
:lol: (we can call that a 'TROIKA'). then we need a crane to bring in the VR-11s THROUGH the roof. we might need some light stripping of the 'yero' which of course, the VS boys will refit with long span after the crane job. :lol:

will send your congrats to "Uncle", and congrats too to "Daughters" ( of yours and of "Kumpare"). :)
Last edited by jadis on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:30 pm

JackD201 wrote:
EsoTec wrote:I saw the Eggleston Ivy being wheeled into the listening room of LIS last night (i counted about 6 guys pushing it, that's 6 on one speaker at a time! :), that's about at least 12 handprints on the granite sides ) inside were Halcros waiting to be connected. I wonder how much trade-in value he got for it. :D

Alas, we may never know.........

'yours truly' knows.....but alas.....( seeeeekrettttt)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:06 pm

jadis wrote: 'yours truly' knows.....but alas.....( seeeeekrettttt)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby qguy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:55 pm

I heard the Dynaudio Temptations at the mandarin Audio show and this has the "goose bump" effect on me, the dyns has a total of four 8 inch woofers per channel, I cannot imagine how nine 12 inch woofer per channel will sound like, maybe I will get "Ostrich Bumps" and then faint

also which is more expensive ivy or alexandria ?

Eighteen 12 inch woofers VS two 15 and two 12
qguy
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:02 pm

qguy,

From what I heard, the Ivy lists for $100k and Alexandria at $130k. Of course, may discount pa.

Good question, 18 twelve inchers or 2x15 and 2 x 12.... Well, imo, the answer lies in what beast of an amp can drive those kinds of woofers...here the Burmester does a good job on both speakers, able to drive both to chest-swelling levels without strain or clipping. But, since the Wilson is at 98db and the Ivy at an assumedly lower sensitivity rating (based on the volume level of the pre-amp for both), the Alexandria gives a better sense of tightness, control, speed, and wack. And oh, Since the folks finished the session last night, or this morning, at 1.30am, they told me that I missed the 'bass thunder show' when the XRCD of the famed chinese percussion CD PARAMITA was played. It was AWESOME. And I can imagine as I was already 'all blown out' by the Ivy then. Truly, one never knows what is better till he hears the best. I love to listen to BIG speakers for these kind of 'impact' music. Which is why I'm longing to hear the VR-11s if it lands in the P.I. --I might get 'electrified'
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:10 pm

4x15" powered by built in 4x1000 watt amps

8x9.5" powered by your amps

98 dB sensitive too

:shock:

Electrifying indeed!!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:52 pm

JackD201 wrote:4x15" powered by built in 4x1000 watt amps

98 dB sensitive too

Electrifying indeed!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

<jadis faints.....>
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby qguy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:09 am

Wala yan sa speaker ng lolo ko......

JackD201 wrote:4x15" powered by built in 4x1000 watt amps

98 dB sensitive too

Electrifying indeed!!
qguy
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:33 pm

Had a brief 30 minute 'quickie' session last night and finally I heard what was told to me by a friend who heard the chinese kodo drum percussion XRCD 'Paramita'. I am familiar with the album played with the Ivy before many a time; and really, played at very loud levels, the Alexandria shows virtually the SIZE of the drum set and other instruments which I never felt with the Ivy. I was all agog before on how the Ivy rendered this CD, specially cut 10 wherein the 'anger' of the drummers were noticeable with the Burmester 911 supplying the power. With the X2, the emotion of the drummers was still there, with the aforementioned 'size' of the drums very visibly felt, and to top it all, the astounding resolution of the X2 very evident in that more details were thrown out of the speakers that were never heard before with the Ivy. The thrill of big speakers and fast solid state amps...they seem to go hand in hand. And btw, I heard that the Ivy's are hooked up with with TWO PAIRS :shock: of Halcro 200 watters for bi-amping the mid/hi's and the lows, in the LIS room at Shang....
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner