SS Part 4B: Latest Transformation - The Big Macs

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby jadis » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:18 am

The 'Not-So-Ancient' Alexandria X-2 - David Wilson's Statement Loudspeaker System

Left Speaker:

Right Speaker:

Diagonal View:

Front View:

Back View ( metal covers for the crossover network ):

Top View from the back shows the 'tilting level' adjustment for the top mid driver module, and the upward back firing super tweeter:
Last edited by jadis on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:26 am

While these two CDs should have been posted in the recordings topic, I would like to make special mention of them here in that they are the kinds of 'ultra dynamic' music that brings out the best of big speaker systems the the X-2.

PARAMITA

A very popular CD in the Asian region, this was originally recorded by a Taiwanese company and then remastered using the K2 process and made in XRCD version by JVC. I remember Gary Lo of Genesis brought this to demo his flagship Genesis 101 a couple of years ago, and bass is really awesome here in this CD. Track 10 is pure kodo drum music, highlighting the emotion of the dummers with lightning speed and dynamics. A Thriller. Track 7 has other instrumental accompaniment and a nice beat. While Track 2 can dig down and show off the very low frequencies.

The Number One Drum ( Ti Eeh Keh )

The first track of this CD, which is produced in China, is very very powerful. Each drum whacks seems like a King Kong foot stomp. With tremendous air after each drum attack. This cut was even chosen by Burmester to be part of their 'test cd' to showcase 'power' music. It's a real treat to be able to play it at very high levels without strain. Super awesome.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:12 am

Jadis,

This is the most comfortable listening room among all the super systems' rooms.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:34 am

mullard88 wrote:Jadis,

This is the most comfortable listening room among all the super systems' rooms.

I would agree, Mullard. Secondly, the remote controlled dimmer lights is awesome in that on one press of the button, ALL the lights of the room starts to dim from full level to about 10% and stops there by itself to render a totally cozy sight as you peer into the soundstage area. AWESOME!
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:39 am

BRRRRTTZZZZZZZZTTTT :!:

Translation:

"I am now taking over your pathetic planet :!: Bow to your new master, or suffer the sound coming from a VOCA amp forever :!: "
:twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:54 am

Pretty soon, I would hope to visit this room again because I want to see how a pair $xx,xxx top-of-the-line speaker cables LOOKS :shock: :shock: like. And I would imagine if these were used for bookshelf speakers, one would have to order 3 or 4 stands to prevent them from pulling down the bookshelves... And granted even that, it would make the cables AND the stands many many times more costly than the bookshelves, unless the bookshelf speakers are the MAGICO mini-monitors - patas lang sila. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:29 am

Jadis,

I was told the magico minis are only $20,000 a pair but the new MIT Oracle MA speaker cables are $25,000 a pair.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:42 pm

I was told the magico minis are only $20,000 a pair but the new MIT Oracle MA speaker cables are $25,000 a pair.

Mullard,

Wow.... :shock:

So that math has changed. If I'm not mistaken, their first speaker cable, the MIT 750 Music Hose was retailing for around $1000, which was already outrageous at the time ( the conversion being around 20+pesos to
the dollar.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:51 am

Jadis,

It's not just speaker cables that have prices inflating at exponential levels. In the ultra high end arena, every component has been increasing prices at more or less the same level. Just take the magico mini as an example: when the WATT came out, it was $4,400; now the magico with the same number of drivers but with an added stand is $20,000.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:31 pm

Mullard,

You said it. In the mid 80s, in what I would call my first high end system, the whole thing came out to around P70,000. Today, I think it can only buy a used Rogers LS 3/5 or a used Sonus Electa Amator. :shock:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:00 am

JackD201 and Keith,

I was hooked on the Lamms when I audiotioned them through the WATT/Puppy 5 speaker system. It might be worth your whiles to audition it through the Alexandria speaker system if you could work something out with the owner. I suspect you will have the dynamic range "ride" of your lives.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:32 pm

We'll try to get permission from Uncle J :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby fld » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:30 am

mullard88 wrote:JackD201 and Keith,

I was hooked on the Lamms when I audiotioned them through the WATT/Puppy 5 speaker system. It might be worth your whiles to audition it through the Alexandria speaker system if you could work something out with the owner. I suspect you will have the dynamic range "ride" of your lives.

One of two things will happen here. Jack will probably want to own a Wilson X2 after he hears them with the Lamms. Or the owner of the X2 would want Jack to leave the lamms in his system for good. Either way, its a win win situation!!
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:37 am

fld wrote:
mullard88 wrote:JackD201 and Keith,

One of two things will happen here. Jack will probably want to own a Wilson X2 after he hears them with the Lamms. Or the owner of the X2 would want Jack to leave the lamms in his system for good. Either way, its a win win situation!!

That's true, Ferds. Yesterday I sent word to 'uncle' for a no-commitment home audition. He's still 50-50 on the idea. Kasi daw, sabi nya, paano na daw sya pag nagustuhan nya ang Lamm's....eh, he is not
on the upgrade mood pa....It seems the uncle knows something here. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby fld » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:01 am

That's true, Ferds. Yesterday I sent word to 'uncle' for a no-commitment home audition. He's still 50-50 on the idea. Kasi daw, sabi nya, paano na daw sya pag nagustuhan nya ang Lamm's....eh, he is not
on the upgrade mood pa....It seems the uncle knows something here. :lol:[/quote]

I have a feeling Uncle will like the Lamms. Selling his "more expensive " Burmesters wont be easy.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:04 pm

fld wrote:That's true, Ferds. Yesterday I sent word to 'uncle' for a no-commitment home audition. He's still 50-50 on the idea. Kasi daw, sabi nya, paano na daw sya pag nagustuhan nya ang Lamm's....eh, he is not
on the upgrade mood pa....It seems the uncle knows something here. :lol:

I have a feeling Uncle will like the Lamms. Selling his "more expensive " Burmesters wont be easy.[/quote]

I did a blow by blow of specs and this is what i found:

The Burmie 911 mk3 is from the Top Line and not the Ref Line of Herr Dieter (That would be the 909 mk5) making the price actually "not bad" at somewhere like $18,500 +. This is less than Comrade Vladimir's M2.2 which retails for $21,090 a pair but puts them squarely in the same weight class.

***It's important to note that the X-2s are 8ohm speakers.

Power ratings.

Lamm 8ohms 220wpc Burmester 8ohms Info not provided

Lamm 4ohms 440wpc Burmester 4ohms 350wpc

Lamm 2ohms 700wpc Burmester 2ohms Info not provided

Lamm 1ohm 900wpc Burmester 1ohm Info not provided

Continuous Peak Current.

Lamm 42.43A into 1 ohm at 1800 watt peak Burmester 40A into ???? at ????

Subjectively given the logarithmic nature of dBs these specs are not too far off from eachother. It looks like it's still going to boil down to taste.

These are two of the fastest and boldest designs in the "ultra" class. Should Uncle J give the two thumbs up for the X-2 test it should be veeeeeeeeeeery interesting indeed!!!!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:57 pm

Jack,

I can't wait for the uncle to give the green light. Field Marshall Dieter vs.
Comrade Chairman Vladimir. This is the WWIII that we missed!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I am mapping out a Plan B in case we get a red light here. Comrade will face off with a pair of Aussie outbacks, pending approval... :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:28 pm

Jadis,

Will plan B take place in another battlefield?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:11 pm

fld wrote:One of two things will happen here. Jack will probably want to own a Wilson X2 after he hears them with the Lamms. Or the owner of the X2 would want Jack to leave the lamms in his system for good. Either way, its a win win situation!!

Except that X-2s cost more than my condo unit :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:15 pm

Will plan B take place in another battlefield?

yes, mullard. in a battlefield near my place. no 1812 cannon shots though, it might hit my place. the best match is really in the X-2 room. there we can shoot cannons and what not and have no fear. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner