SS Part 4B: Latest Transformation - The Big Macs

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby jadis » Wed May 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Jadis,

Wow :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Lucky there are no drool emoticons here :D :D :D :D

Coming off from the Wilson X2, how does the XRT2K sound? :roll: :D

Jon,

The answer has to take into account that the Wilsons were driven by a 350 watt Burmester stereo amp while the XRT2Ks are being driven by 'sextet' amps breathing out 2000 watts per channel. Immediately, the sonic stamp of 'volcanic power' comes to the scene. Uncle was playing a live Julio Igesias CD when I entered and I never would have thought nor knew that a JE recording could have that much subterrenean lows. Each side has 6 units of 12" woofers and they are heartily satified by the 2K amp, I can imagine. The XRTs have a lot of similarities with the Genesis 101, sonically. These kinds of things, I can say safely, can take in any sort of dynamic sorties from any recorded material. And I think, that is the design concept of gargantuan type speakers.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby soundpurist » Wed May 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Great,amazing! To figure out what'll be the next evolution just blew my mind.I gathered that it started with that six piece 2KW mc driving the alexandrias and the power was too excessive. To match the power come the imposing mc towers- mc all the way! I heard the alexndrias with halcros at LIS once when someone auditioned,I heard real men singing! Now, they're out for the Mcs, these must sing like angels! Hard to think what's next, does God sing?
soundpurist
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Wed May 21, 2008 7:02 pm

soundpurist wrote:Great,amazing! To figure out what'll be the next evolution just blew my mind.I gathered that it started with that six piece 2KW mc driving the alexandrias and the power was too excessive. To match the power come the imposing mc towers- mc all the way!

soundpurist,

From what I recall, the X2's/Burmester combo became the X2/MC-1k, 1000 watt Mac mono's. The MC-2K's arrived in the islands, and the 2K's were taken in while the 1K's went to the owner of the Genesis 101 system. By that time, the XRT2K's were arriving and plans were mapped for an Alexandria-XRT2k swap plus cash. Needless to say, the plan went on, and the source and electronics followed to complete the MAC system. I forgot to mention that uncle HAD possessed the McIntosh electronics in the 60s and was using master tapes on his open reel. We relished that sceneario last night and I vividly remembered seeing him toy around with open reels. Coming home to McIntosh is super nostalgic to him. The brand has sentimental value and today, I believe, he will be happily married to this system for a long time.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby randybarba » Wed May 21, 2008 7:26 pm

"Grabe" doesn't even come close to describing the system. At nagreklamo pa si Elmo na mabigat daw yung Mac na dala niya sa bahay :lol: . Ngayon, looking at these big macs, I feel like I have a jollibee :lol: . Thanks for sharing Phillip :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed May 21, 2008 7:30 pm

randybarba wrote:"Grabe" doesn't even come close to describing the system. At nagreklamo pa si Elmo na mabigat daw yung Mac na dala niya sa bahay :lol: . Ngayon, looking at these big macs, I feel like I have a jollibee :lol: . Thanks for sharing Phillip :)

Doc, actually your macs are really big and heavy, for my standards. The 2k macs are for those who might envision getting hernia someday. Congrats too on your Macs.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby soundpurist » Wed May 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks Jadis, and the system is really WOW!
soundpurist
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mb88 » Thu May 22, 2008 3:31 pm

Oh my, I have seen the same actual set up in the McIntosh showroom in Siam Paragon Bangkok last year. They are indeed a grand sight to behold. Unbelievable! It's like seeing the Grand Canyon --you would love to stay longer because you know you can only bring home pictures and memories of its grandeur :shock: The dealer at that time had sold three XRT2k and MC2k combos--the 2 were delivered to the Crown Prince's Palace

Congrats to your uncle! He is my man :D
mb88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Noel » Thu May 22, 2008 4:47 pm

mac fans are drooling, super super setup all the way. thanks for sharing. hard to imagine what the next major upgrade could possibly be.

incidentally do we have a local mac distributor?
Noel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Fri May 23, 2008 8:01 am

mb88 wrote: The dealer at that time had sold three XRT2k and MC2k combos--the 2 were delivered to the Crown Prince's Palace

Interesting info, mb88. Thanks. I should relay that to uncle next time I see him. We do have a Crown Prince and even an Emperor here in our country, only they do not own Macs, they own Vons. :lol: And I firmly believe the next shipment of the Vons will send tsunami-like waves to these islands. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri May 23, 2008 8:05 am

Noel wrote:mac fans are drooling, super super setup all the way. thanks for sharing. hard to imagine what the next major upgrade could possibly be.

incidentally do we have a local mac distributor?

While trying to imagine, I can only guess that the 2 top speakers in the Uber-speakers class in terms of WEIGHT will have to be the main candidates. But I hope not, his freight elevator might have to be upgraded. :lol: And yes, there is a local mac distributor here.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Previous

Return to Jadis' Corner