Super System Part 7C: 'The Changing of the Guard'

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby jadis » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:54 pm

hi red76,

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures with the wooden arm. A fellow WS member who works in Austria told me about this TT last December when he visited me. He told me it was very visible in the German audio show. And early this year I had the chance to talk to the HK distributor of DPS and I was quite surprised by its steep price despite looking very 'modest'.
He explained exactly what you mentioned about the plinth, many layers of whatever damp material was used, and it is built inside out...as you said, deceivingly good.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Hyperion » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:18 pm

Philip,

Yeah Steve is great guy. I still have my McCormack Micro Line Drive and Micro Power Drive - my first bonafide high end separates system from 1995 usually hookep up to this PC hehe, or sometimes I play them on the LV whenever I crave punchy ss bass.
Hyperion

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:34 am

had a truly nice and ear-opening experience last monday listening to this set-up. owner was a friend/schoolmate (in vancouver) of a colleague at the office and a friend of jadis' too.

total system was well planned and tuned it made some serious music...very huge, detailed soundstage, outstanding dynamics and surprisingly very smooth and liquid on both horns, strings and vocals, especially when vinyl was played. well, even the digital front-end sounded like analog. so lifelike, so musical...so rare in common systems (like mone :cry: ) youl'd like hours upon hours listening to your music...

the acrylic panels are massive holding two ribbons and 9 drivers per channel. they were driven by huge macormack DNA-2 monoblocks. two full-sized entec subs completed the range...

the table was so elegant together with the dynavector arm. boy, they sounded very very smooth and clean... :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:38 pm

vintage_dog wrote:well, even the digital front-end sounded like analog.

What was the digital front end? Thanks!
rtsyrtsy

Postby jadis » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:12 pm

vintage_dog wrote:had a truly nice and ear-opening experience last monday listening to this set-up. owner was a friend/schoolmate (in vancouver) of a colleague at the office and a friend of jadis' too.

total system was well planned and tuned it made some serious music...very huge, detailed soundstage, outstanding dynamics and surprisingly very smooth and liquid on both horns, strings and vocals, especially when vinyl was played.

yes, francis. i agree. if there is one word that can describe the sound, it is smooth. the entec ribbons has that character, imo. i have always heard that character even with other amps, like the forsell statement, and with other pre- amps , like the conrad johnson or the arc sp-3. and as you aptly noticed during the session, the subwoofer seems 'not' to be there, it is not obstrusive and does not call attention to itself, but when the low notes come in, you can be sure you can 'feel' it.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:48 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:
vintage_dog wrote:well, even the digital front-end sounded like analog.

What was the digital front end? Thanks!

a theta pearl (not sure if used only as transport). jadis, was there a DAC? i couldn't tell because there were a few other gear on the rack. the preamp is ss: a spectral...am told over 10 years...the analog table was plugged into this too...great piece of gear.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Jadis' Corner