Super System Part 1A-The Forsell Air Reference TTable added

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Super System Part 1A-The Forsell Air Reference TTable added

Postby jadis » Tue May 10, 2005 7:30 am

About a week ago, the owner of the Krell MRA based super system 1 finally put to service his Forsell Air Reference Turntable, which yours truly was invited to help set up. During the first few days, the phono stage of the ARC SP14 was used but the owner decided to settle permanently on the ARC PH5, and Mr Sensible himself was on hand last night to set it up.
The Forsell Air Reference has air bearings on BOTH the linear tonearm and the platter, the later being a most ingenious design. Imagine an acrylic platter 'floating' while spinning on air. WOW. I had seen and heard many Forsell tables in the mid 90s but never actually got to touch or 'feel' it. Well, this was my chance to fiddle with it and I must say that it's easier to use than what I imagined it to be. The owner is so happy about its performance that he has invited yours truly to fly to Hongkong with him this week, to go record hunting! You know where to deliver the free plane ticket, Sir......

The Forsell Air Reference Turntable with Benz Micro H20 cartridge

The ARC PH5 Phono Stage
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Super System Part 1A-The Forsell Air Reference TTable ad

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:53 pm

jadis wrote:The owner is so happy about its performance that he has invited yours truly to fly to Hongkong with him this week, to go record hunting! You know where to deliver the free plane ticket, Sir......

Wow, sarap naman :!: :o Pakilala mo naman ako sa friend mo na yan. :) Is he the one working at ADB :?:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:19 pm

...hehe, msm... hopefully, one day we can sked a trip to his place...and no, he is not from the ADB, and he lives like 5 minutes away from me...and no, he has not delivered the the plane ticket to me either...:(
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby conspicuous » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:02 pm

i think i saw something like this turntable all the way in the back of "listening in style" at shangrila plaza mall. is this the same turntable maybe :?:
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:21 pm

conspicuous wrote:i think i saw something like this turntable all the way in the back of "listening in style" at shangrila plaza mall. is this the same turntable maybe :?:

I think the one you saw was the one which the ADB guy purchased. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Audio_Tyro » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:46 pm

Jadis, do you need a body guard who will also carry your luggage and LPs ? You know where to send the extra ticket, Sir ! :lol:
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:25 am

When I grow up I wanna be.............
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:11 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:
conspicuous wrote:i think i saw something like this turntable all the way in the back of "listening in style" at shangrila plaza mall. is this the same turntable maybe :?:

I asked JR about that a couple of weeks ago and he said the model the ADB guy got was the MK III version, the latest in Dr Forsell's line.
The one featured here is the MK II version. And right now, JR's personal unit, also a MK II is set up in his main listening room in LIS Shang Mall. One curious tweak the previous owner of this MK II added was a rotary dial caliper that serves as a VTA gauge indicator, quite an ingenious add-on in these days of 180g pressings.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:15 am

Audio_Tyro wrote:Jadis, do you need a body guard who will also carry your luggage and LPs ? You know where to send the extra ticket, Sir ! :lol:

Duly noted, Audio_Tyro. Let's just hope this guy garnered enough mileage in his trips to send us TWO tickets. Get ready for carrying 50 LPS on EACH hand.....hand carry pa. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby conspicuous » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:16 am

jadis wrote:
m_shoe_maker wrote:

I asked JR about that a couple of weeks ago and he said the model the ADB guy got was the MK III version, the latest in Dr Forsell's line.
The one featured here is the MK II version. And right now, JR's personal unit, also a MK II is set up in his main listening room in LIS Shang Mall. One curious tweak the previous owner of this MK II added was a rotary dial caliper that serves as a VTA gauge indicator, quite an ingenious add-on in these days of 180g pressings.

aha! i thought i saw something similar. :) mr. jadis, you indeed have the right friends and connections. :D

btw, audio_tyro can't carry 50 LPs in each hand. he'll need help. and i just happen to be available.... :D
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audio_Tyro » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:50 am

Thanks Jadis, don't worry about me carrying 50 LPs per hand. It will be a perfect excuse for me to just disappear in the crowd behind you. :D

By the way, ask yor friend... why not a Koetsu just like yours?
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:25 pm

conspicuous,

Good. I'll count you in. :) And yes, good to have friends with these kinds of things, I get to listen without spending. :lol:

Audio_Tyro,

I believe he has mentioned he wants to get a Koetsu. This is his 'try-out' cartridge...and a very good one at that.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:58 am

Jadis,

Sometimes I think that you are the real owner of this system and the owner of the house just allows you to keep the system in his attic. I heard that Dr. Forsell is bored with skiing and is thinking of making a return into the industry.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:54 pm

mullard88 wrote:Jadis,

Sometimes I think that you are the real owner of this system and the owner of the house just allows you to keep the system in his attic. I heard that Dr. Forsell is bored with skiing and is thinking of making a return into the industry.

mullard,

i'd be glad to commando-raid the forsell air reference anytime and switch it with my vpi/et2 :oops: ... the good doctor should refine his tables and perfect it to user-friendliness.... he could then be the very best turntable doctor in the business. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:02 am

Bagay diyan Tiger Eye Platinum :twisted:
JackD201
Immortal

Return to Jadis' Corner