SS vs Tubes

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby rascal101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:21 pm

I was talking about the miller capacitance in MOSFETs and the PN junction capacitance in bipolars. That is why you have the cascode to reduce this capacitance.

About the linearity theory ewan ko kay SB.
rascal101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:28 pm

rascal101 wrote:I'm performing bench testing (using an oscilloscope and a signal generator) and I'm running out of ideas how to reduce current spikes in capacitors. Am trying to make a circuit which is a cross between SS and tubes. Similar "slam" as SS and "musicality" of tubes.

you are barking at the wrong tree, this is not as simple as you think. you may use your intruments on better things. :D
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:30 pm

rascal101 wrote:I was talking about the miller capacitance in MOSFETs and the PN junction capacitance in bipolars. That is why you have the cascode to reduce this capacitance.

tubes have miller capacitance too, you have the grip plate capacitance, the grid cathode capacitance, by the very physical nature of their construction then add stray capacitance also, so the challenge is to design stages that addresses this issue in order to get good high frequency response. 8)
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rascal101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:36 pm

@joan2,

Ok transparent and musical from now on. :D

You know speaker and amplifier designers do not always get together that well ...

I know what you mean and I'm not just referring to the current spikes either.
:D

BTW, I hope I can meet you before you depart for abroad. My friend and I are fans of yours.

Rascal101
rascal101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rascal101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:38 pm

joan2 wrote:
rascal101 wrote:I was talking about the miller capacitance in MOSFETs and the PN junction capacitance in bipolars. That is why you have the cascode to reduce this capacitance.

tubes have miller capacitance too, you have the grip plate capacitance, the grid cathode capacitance, by the very physical nature of their construction then add stray capacitance also, so the challenge is to design stages that addresses this issue in order to get good high frequency response. 8)

Well tubes don't have the problem of driving transformers. You have better inductance vs frequency compared with capacitance vs frequency on the electrolytics.
rascal101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:46 pm

rascal101 wrote:@joan2,

Ok transparent and musical from now on. :D

You know speaker and amplifier designers do not always get together that well ...

I know what you mean and I'm not just referring to the current spikes either.
:D

BTW, I hope I can meet you before you depart for abroad. My friend and I are fans of yours.

Rascal101

i suggest you visit the links i posted in the "peanuts" thread, lots of things you can learn.

this way you will be able to see thru all the hypes floating around.
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rascal101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:47 pm

joan2 wrote:
11. The challenge then is how to design an amplifier that is approximates the characteristic of a resistor but can amplify without being capacitive nor inductive.

no, the challenge is how to design a speaker that is purely resistive! this way the job of the amp will be a zillion times easier!
succesfull music reproduction comes when the marriage between the amps and speakers are made in heaven! :D

case in point, BOSE systems sold together as amps and speakers, who can argue with success? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If only speaker designers can do this. Or if this is achievable.

Buti pa BOSE successful. Kilala pa sa Pinas ng maraming tao.
rascal101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Or if this is achievable

they have been at it for over a hundred years, last time i looked they are still trying :lol:

so it really boils down to this, compromises, compromises and still compromises! :D
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rascal101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:52 pm

I have been doing bench experiments and just do whatever pops up in my brain. Have been downloading lots of materials about tube and solid state design and am approaching stage by stage. Eg diff input, vas etc. Am trying to verify book vs actuals. Some books kasi don't explain a lot on layout.
rascal101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:07 pm

in order to start leaning about tubes, read the rca tube manual if you can get it. if you understand ss transfer curves, tube curves will be peanuts.

one basic thing you need to understand, bipolar transistors and some type of mosfets are normally off devices, while tubes are normally on devices.

knowing this, right away you will understand that tubes will conduct heavily when grid bias is zero, the opposite of bipolar transistors, zero input bias current means colletor voltage is high, collector current is zero!
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rascal101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:16 pm

joan2 wrote:in order to start leaning about tubes, read the rca tube manual if you can get it. if you understand ss transfer curves, tube curves will be peanuts.

one basic thing you need to understand, bipolar transistors and some type of mosfets are normally off devices, while tubes are normally on devices.

knowing this, right away you will understand that tubes will conduct heavily when grid bias is zero, the opposite of bipolar transistors, zero input bias current means colletor voltage is high, collector current is zero!

This is the same principle in SMPS. Presence of gate voltage turns on FET, charge current in transformer however output is zero as switch is on. When gate voltage is low FET is turned off output voltage equals bulk cap voltage / turns ratio. Switch is off.

For flyback, it is when MOSFET is off that energy is transferred to the secondary unlike forward topology which has same waveform as secondary. My question is, for tubes is it a flyback or forward topology?

Also, where can I get an RCA tube manual?

Thanks.
Last edited by rascal101 on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rascal101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:27 pm

hayyyyy.... feels like 'im in college again :) siguro kung may internet 20 years ago hindi ako puro 3.0 at 2.75 sa lahat ng electronics subjects ko :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:44 pm

I don't think it [Internet] would have made any difference for me :lol: Ako lang ang bobo sa electronics sa bahay eh :lol: buti na lang marunong akong maghinang :lol:
>8O<
dogears
Master
Master

Postby aye » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:45 pm

aye
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:48 pm

dogears wrote:I don't think it [Internet] would have made any difference for me :lol: Ako lang ang bobo sa electronics sa bahay eh :lol: buti na lang marunong akong maghinang :lol:
>8O<

:roll: :roll: :roll: daw o!!!
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:54 pm

8)
dogears
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:02 pm

off topic na kayo. tama na yan.

lahat tayo.

this should be moved to the technical thread.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:03 pm

:P sorry po :D
ungano? bakit nga ba andito ito ke sir jadis? :D
dogears
Master
Master

Postby rascal101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:19 pm

Ariel,

ty for the link.

Sir joan2,

Binabasa ko na iyung RCA manual.

Sir Arnold, Sir Jadis,

Sorry for the OT.
rascal101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:45 pm

For flyback, it is when MOSFET is off that energy is transferred to the secondary unlike forward topology which has same waveform as secondary. My question is, for tubes is it a flyback or forward topology?

you don't ask questions like these, smps operates in the non-linear region, the switching devices, be they tubes, bipolars, mosfets or igbt's are either on(saturated) or off(cut-off), never in between.

amplifiers operate in the linear region, (ask S_B) of their characteristics curves.
it is a no-no for tubes and transistors to saturate nor be in cutoff, distortion rises abruptly in such cases.
Last edited by tony on Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner