Who is your 'GOOD' BAD INFLUENCE (B.I.) in AUDIO

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby mullard88 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:24 am

Hi jadis,

We were in the same boarding school when we were in high school. We were allowed to return home during the weekends. So, during weekends, sometimes we stayed in his house, sometimes our house. As you know, he is a very bubbly person and has a lot of stories to tell. I listened to so many of his stories about golf, pets, and the B&O components. As you know, I am now into audio and golf.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:21 pm

mullard88 wrote:Hi jadis,

We were in the same boarding school when we were in high school. We were allowed to return home during the weekends. So, during weekends, sometimes we stayed in his house, sometimes our house. As you know, he is a very bubbly person and has a lot of stories to tell. I listened to so many of his stories about golf, pets, and the B&O components. As you know, I am now into audio and golf.

Perhaps he influenced you into 'paintings' collection too?
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 am

Hi jadis,

He sure did. And not only me, but my wife as well. I forgot all about this topic since I have not been acquiring paintings for a long time.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby John Martin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:39 am

my DAD. 26 years ago.
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Who influenced you into becoming an 'audiophile' ?

Postby RecordhunterX » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 am

No one, just for the love of Vinyl. Albums that made an impact to me ? Double Fantasy by John Lennon and Yoko Ono, End of the Century by the Ramones and Best of Beegees. 78 RPM single of the Kingsmen's Louie Louie and Surfin'Bird by The Trashmen.
RecordhunterX
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 am

WS. I grew up/old a music lover and happily living with a Bose Home theater. A fellow Pinoy aquarium hobbyist in one aqua hobby forum posted a link to WS.

and the rest, as they say is history.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks for sharing, RecordhunterX and Ding.

I realized this thread is 4 years old. And basically my question could have been re-phrased into 'who got you really really crazy into the audio hobby'. But that was a more of a 'decent' heading, imo. :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby polaris » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:16 am

My Dad:

In 1980, he was waxing lyrical about a NAD Integrated (yes, that famous NAD) and an AR bookshelf he heard at a store abroad. I was all ears, seeing if I might learn something new as I was "tweaking" an AIWA/AKAI mini component he bought us earlier in the year. I was 9. :)
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:35 am

RY is the fake audiophile? Could have fooled me! :D :D :D :D :D

Two guys here at WS pointed me in more exotic gear directions Bogart of AA whose company always brings in little heard of gems and ttommy who is never afraid to try something different.

Years later, my older brother did it to me again! I was happy, vary happy with my system at the time he began his massive rebuilding program. Reminds me of the 6 Million Dollar Man's narrative intro......."We will rebuild him." :D :D :D :D When he ordered VR-9s that caused my comfort zone and Keith's as well to require some re-adjustments. Thanks to him, Lamm came into the picture and later VR-9s as well. I'm just crossing my fingers that his VR-11s aren't going to cause another paradigm shift.

On the software side two people primarily rocked me at the first HiFi Show we joined and got me into collecting the more esoteric stuff. Prior to that I was not as adventurous. These two cool gentlemen hung out in our room and had bags full of demo grade LPs. What started out as individual demo sessions turned into a shoot out of super collectible goodies. I think this is still the most fun I'd ever had in a show. These two are non-other than Jadis and Jon Agner. They are the ones who transformed me from a guppy to a certified shark. When they had to go, my kawawa looking collection needed some help. MVA came to the rescue with a bag full of his own more contemporary but just as drool inspiring collection. At this point I was driven over the edge and into the deep blue sea. King Neptune nga raw. Since then I've come to meet the REALLY big sharks...The Poseidons. Tamang tama dahil mga collections nila pang Poseidon Adventure.....nakakabaliktad ng mundo like MT and Coltrane and now Emperor aka Mr. 0 to 200 in 3.6 seconds. Then there are the quiet ones who will pull out recordings so rare and excellent in quality I end up yelling "Ang daya niyo naman eh! Kung wala kayong extra na puwedeng awitan, huwag niyo na lang parinig!" :D :D :D :D Yeah you know who you are!
Last edited by JackD201 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:36 am

polaris wrote:My Dad:

In 1980, he was waxing lyrical about a NAD Integrated (yes, that famous NAD) and an AR bookshelf he heard at a store abroad. I was all ears, seeing if I might learn something new as I was "tweaking" an AIWA/AKAI mini component he bought us earlier in the year. I was 9. :)

Yes. It seems a few of us here will have our parents as our 'source'. What will be rare will be somebody mentioning his 'wife' as the promotor ng hobby niya. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am

JackD201 wrote:RY is the fake audiophile? Could have fooled me! :D :D :D :D :D

hehehe...not with his present 'audio arsenal', the equivalent of high powered sub-machine guns in the armaments field. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:59 am

Oo nga mabagsik na si Fake Audiophile ngayon :D :D :D BY the way someone from Indonesia heard about his speakers and is drooling :devil:

I have to blame fld for introducing me to the wonderful world of vibration control and isolation. The last frontier! I also credit dimfer for tipping me off on AVM liquid.

Ang daming B.I. talaga dito sa W.S. !!!!!!!!

Re-awakening to Vinyl....Tatang ihatejazz.

My interest in SETs naman were the fault of VD sabay upak ng segunda nina ArnoldC, Hyper and Ambel. :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:11 am

To cope with the times, I have changed the title into 'Who is your 'GOOD' BAD INFLUENCE (B.I.) in AUDIO. :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Who is your 'GOOD' BAD INFLUENCE (B.I.) in AUDIO

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:23 am

Honestly, I learned of the term B.I. only a few years ago. :D But the action predates the term. :D Long ago, I would B.I. myself (the dots are important in the term) :D by visiting Pic in Loyola Heights, the late Mang Dima in Magallanes, Audiophile Components in Atrium and Paco, and one F.M. in Horseshoe Village for my LPs. Yeah, I BI'ed myself, and I actually enjoyed it. :D Lately, there are a handful of good BI's who are responsible for doubling my record collection in the last couple of years. And I thought I was fine with a few. :o So, aside from good BI's, YOU can also be your BEST BI. :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby planarribbon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:26 am

strange how these things come about, eh?

we never had a proper system in our house, but i always loved music. one of my uncles was an excellent guitar player (back in the late '70's and early 80's) who used to sing in a folkhouse. when he and his friends jammed, i hung out with them, enjoying the jim croce, simon and garfunkel, seals and crofts, john denver, asin, heber bartolome stuff. at times they would have maybe three or four guitars going on. a really rich experience. my uncle's brother, on the other hand, went on a different musical path. from him i heard spyro gyra, lee ritenour, dave grusin pat metheny, alphonse mouzon and the like. this was the early-to-mid eighties. i was entering my teen years, and already i was exposed to a rather eclectic mix of music.

fast forward to my 19th year, and i took a job as a DJ back in bikol. as a network station, we had access to pretty decent equipment. tascam DATs and fostex audio. we had sennheiser cans before they were cool, and yes, i operated a pair of sl1200s and 8track cassettes. it was all still pretty analog. this was good quality sound, as far as being in the province was concerned.

then, one day in 1996, i cam across an issue of TAS. whoah! these things existed? wow!

i knew i'd never be able to afford high-end gear with the paltry money i had at the time, but i also had been bitten by the audio bug. and it is always "love at first bite".
planarribbon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:30 am

nice journey, plannarribbon. thanks for sharing.

you must have a maggie too? :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby planarribbon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 am

i used to. one of the more tragic events of my life was when they were damaged by typhoon milenyo in 2004. i left them in my parent's house, as i was abroad at the time. of course, survival was the greater priority, what with the windows exploding and all.

sigh... kawawang speakers... kawawang may-ari... but life goes on.
planarribbon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:19 pm

I also credit dimfer for tipping me off on AVM liquid.

gusto mo paasulin natin 'yang VR9 mo :devil:

look at what snake oil can do for your speaker :devil:

ilang galon ang order nyo ser :emo: free delivery :rofl:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Sige pero Anniversary mo muna. Sa labas ha hindi sa loob! :D :D :D :D :D c u 4/10/09!!!!!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Superman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:43 pm

JackD201 wrote:RY is the fake audiophile? Could have fooled me! :D :D :D :D :D

Two guys here at WS pointed me in more exotic gear directions Bogart of AA whose company always brings in little heard of gems and ttommy who is never afraid to try something different.

Years later, my older brother did it to me again! I was happy, vary happy with my system at the time he began his massive rebuilding program. Reminds me of the 6 Million Dollar Man's narrative intro......."We will rebuild him." :D :D :D :D When he ordered VR-9s that caused my comfort zone and Keith's as well to require some re-adjustments. Thanks to him, Lamm came into the picture and later VR-9s as well. I'm just crossing my fingers that his VR-11s aren't going to cause another paradigm shift.

On the software side two people primarily rocked me at the first HiFi Show we joined and got me into collecting the more esoteric stuff. Prior to that I was not as adventurous. These two cool gentlemen hung out in our room and had bags full of demo grade LPs. What started out as individual demo sessions turned into a shoot out of super collectible goodies. I think this is still the most fun I'd ever had in a show. These two are non-other than Jadis and Jon Agner. They are the ones who transformed me from a guppy to a certified shark. When they had to go, my kawawa looking collection needed some help. MVA came to the rescue with a bag full of his own more contemporary but just as drool inspiring collection. At this point I was driven over the edge and into the deep blue sea. King Neptune nga raw. Since then I've come to meet the REALLY big sharks...The Poseidons. Tamang tama dahil mga collections nila pang Poseidon Adventure.....nakakabaliktad ng mundo like MT and Coltrane and now Emperor aka Mr. 0 to 200 in 3.6 seconds. Then there are the quiet ones who will pull out recordings so rare and excellent in quality I end up yelling "Ang daya niyo naman eh! Kung wala kayong extra na puwedeng awitan, huwag niyo na lang parinig!" :D :D :D :D Yeah you know who you are!

Sige, hanap pa tayo ng Vienna, Incognito and Brand New Heavies na LPs!! :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
Superman
Master Showman

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner