Who is your 'GOOD' BAD INFLUENCE (B.I.) in AUDIO

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Who is your 'GOOD' BAD INFLUENCE (B.I.) in AUDIO

Postby dimfer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:48 pm

JackD201 wrote:Sige pero Anniversary mo muna. Sa labas ha hindi sa loob! :D :D :D :D :D c u 4/10/09!!!!!

nagkamali nga ako, I paid $2,000 extra to get Steinway Black, I could've used the money to upgrade to AVM Blue.

ano ang idagdag natin sa tinola?
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:07 pm

First, I need to give credit to the man who coined the term "sulsultant." This is none other than ttommy. :D Pa-simple pa yan..."if the Audiogon listing is in NYC, I'll inspect them for you and ship to your NYC P.O.Box." Seriously, I'm considering sending ttommy an allowance to shop for me at Princeton Records. :D

My first sulsultant was an officemate who ran a small pair of Tannoy Sixes and Rotel separates and introduced me to Tata Salgado in Sound Advice in Bacolod where I bought my first system.

Like jadis, I then sulsulted myself by gorging on Hi-Fi Choice and What Hi-Fi. Kahit back issues, binibili ko. That was my "five star, editors' choice" era so when I saw such a pairing (NAD 502, NAD 304) at Upscale Audio with Rico Severino, I "upgraded." It also piqued my interest in HT which eventually led to Dynaudio speakers from JR at LIS and with Wilfred and Stefan at AVDI.

Frequent visits to Rico's shop led to Sonus Faber lust. My wife then gave me a Concertino. Wanting to make the most of it, I went to Audio Asylum and looked long and hard for Manila-based audiophiles.

Thus started my long and still going strong sulsulting relationship or discipleship with Hyperion. Hyperion paved the way for Hypertriode. And by hanging out at Rene's shop, I met the first few people that would form the original Pinoydiophiles on Yahoo! groups who in turn introduced me to SonnyTuazon, Lito Gelano, et al.

Of course, there was the Sonus fan club with Bogart and Gaucho.

I discovered that my favorite gym-mate, joe3rp, was a hard core DIYer in North America. We then found oursleves in Rene's shop "between meetings" :angel: Joey lent me his Scott and ST-70 thus starting my love affair with tubes. When joe3rp went SET, I've headed towards that direction but have not gotten there. I'm sure JackD and Bogart (who both tag-teamed with Hyperion to pull me over to the dark analog side) will guide the way from here. :D

The sulsultant most likely to lead me to robbing a bank or pulling an Enron or AIG fiasco is Dimfer with his Nova Physic, Lamm, etc. stories. :rofl:

I've recently started interacting with the fresh bactch of headphone fanatics that WS has attracted.

The software sulsultants are also key. Early on, I had Matanzas Records :lol: and the professor, Pican (I miss you!). Of late, Bebop...Boytoy, don't worry, aabot din ako sa listing mo. :D And of course, jadis' records and recordings thread and all its contributors...I got a Clearaudio Weight Watcher from ihatejazz which led me to lust after rare box sets. Uh-oh...
rtsyrtsy

Postby O.D. Yeo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:04 pm

jadis wrote:Honestly, I learned of the term B.I. only a few years ago. :D But the action predates the term. :D Long ago, I would B.I. myself (the dots are important in the term) :D by visiting . . . one F.M. in Horseshoe Village for my LPs. . .

I grew up in Horseshoe but I never knew we had a good LP source right in our midst.
Who is F.M., Phil?
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:06 pm

planarribbon wrote:i used to. one of the more tragic events of my life was when they were damaged by typhoon milenyo in 2004. i left them in my parent's house, as i was abroad at the time. of course, survival was the greater priority, what with the windows exploding and all.

sigh... kawawang speakers... kawawang may-ari... but life goes on.

awwwwwwwww........
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:13 pm

O.D. Yeo wrote:
jadis wrote:Honestly, I learned of the term B.I. only a few years ago. :D But the action predates the term. :D Long ago, I would B.I. myself (the dots are important in the term) :D by visiting . . . one F.M. in Horseshoe Village for my LPs. . .

I grew up in Horseshoe but I never knew we had a good LP source right in our midst.
Who is F.M., Phil?

Billy,

His name was Flory Mangona. He was connected with Philcom then and he would carry brands like Spica, Sonograph, Hafler, ET2 tonearm (I got mine from him), Precision Fidelity, etc. From time to time LP goodies fly in from the States and just to give you an idea, there were sealed UHQR Mofi's of Earl Klugh's Finger Paintings that arrived then, for a whopping p2000 each :o (at that time, Sheffields and RRs would cost p300 to p400 only) and I passed up on the UHQRs. Today a NM of that would be in the $200 area. Darn, I did not get one then. :swear: A sealed copy on buy it now is $500. :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/EARL-KLUGH-FINGER-P ... dZViewItem
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:19 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:
My wife then gave me a Concertino. Wanting to make the most of it...

Did I hear that right, Russ??? I should give you a Shao-lin triple bow.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:05 pm

Gusto mo pala iyan Indiana Jadis? I have a NM UHQR of Finger Paintings. I'm not into the songs though. Wanna trade? :devil: Baka may Decca Wideband na Fa... diyan na naliligaw at naghahanap ng bagong amo. :angel: :angel: :angel:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:21 pm

JackD201 wrote:Gusto mo pala iyan Indiana Jadis? I have a NM UHQR of Finger Paintings. I'm not into the songs though. Wanna trade? :devil: Baka may Decca Wideband na Fa... diyan na naliligaw at naghahanap ng bagong amo. :angel: :angel: :angel:

Sayang, may on d way na ganun na malapit i-drop sa chimney ko.

Si 'Fa' mailap maski payatot na banda, ang WB nasa ulap. :D :D

May nadakip daw na Benbrit & Rostrie, sana maisama sa mga 'hari ng padala' load. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby ttommy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:First, I need to give credit to the man who coined the term "sulsultant." This is none other than ttommy.

Credit where credit is due, Russ, the guy who actually coined the word predated my usage by one day! :)
See the last post here. So, yes, I stole the term from him :$
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:37 am

ttommy wrote:Credit where credit is due, Russ, the guy who actually coined the word predated my usage by one day! :)
See the last post here. So, yes, I stole the term from him :$

Oops...I stand corrected. Here's for all the sulsultants: hip-hip, hooray! :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby mullard88 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi planarribbon,

I too was a victim of milenyo. I lost a pair of metaphor 2 speakers when it blew away two sheets of roofing and completely drenched the metaphor 2 speakers. It will be easier for you to recover as magnepans are still in business and easy to purchase. Hope you acquire new magnepans soon. They are one of my favorite speakers.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Jadis' Corner