Le Chateau de Jadis

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby jadis » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:25 am

stereophile,

Will do, and thanks again for the invite.
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:19 pm

I passed by Philip's place yesterday to pick up some LPs. I had heard many great things about his set up before so I came in with very high expectations. All I can say is that Philips retreat SURPASSED 'em. The great thing is that his room is the TOTAL package owner included. It perfectly demonstrates that if you embark on the audiophile journey with HONESTY to yourself and approach it not out of lust for gear but with love for the music, with perserverance you can acheive what Philip has. I've heard systems that cost far more, rooms more elaborately designed and treated, and yet none have impressed me on an emotional level more than Jadis' private haven. SYNERGY folks. That is the lesson here.

My hats off to you Sir, you have acheived what I have been trying to do for the past decade, you have put together a system that lets you totally forget about the system. Thanks for havin' me over. :)
User avatar
JackD201
Immortal
 
Posts: 10024
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:10 am
Location: Bozania

Postby jadis » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:19 pm

Many thanks for the kind words, Jack. And it was indeed a pleasure to meet you after all our good exchanges in the audio learning process from the past threads re digital and analogue. Again, I am gratified at having fellow hobbyist appreciate my humble music abode, and I am always glad to share my experiences with people like yourself, Jack. And I believe you will reach the audio nirvana one day pretty soon. Thanks for the visit likewise. :)
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Postby mullard88 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:21 am

vintage_dog,

In reading your post, I recall that one of my best friends who is a fake audiophile used to stand beside my MGIIIs and sing duets with Betty Buckley. You were very well-behaved to just hum along.

Jadis is an imaging freak. All his past set-ups had fantastic imaging.
User avatar
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:19 am

Postby jadis » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:22 pm

mullard88 wrote:vintage_dog,

In reading your post, I recall that one of my best friends who is a fake audiophile used to stand beside my MGIIIs and sing duets with Betty Buckley. You were very well-behaved to just hum along.



Jack and Keith..... it was my pleasure this afternoon to introduce to you this 'fake audiophile' mentioned by Mullard88..... but don't discount him just yet, he might pull a suprise as he called me on my cell on my way home to ask about the list price of the VR-5 :shock: ...... a would-be Bozanian bah? :)
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Postby JackD201 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:52 pm

10 years of celibacy na siya. Time to splurge again! :D
User avatar
JackD201
Immortal
 
Posts: 10024
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:10 am
Location: Bozania

Postby mullard88 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:28 am

jadis,

That's a good way for him to test the waters again. Coltrane and I were musing that he is the perfect person to purchase Alon Wolf's horn system.
User avatar
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:19 am

Postby jadis » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:38 am

mullard88 wrote:jadis,

That's a good way for him to test the waters again. Coltrane and I were musing that he is the perfect person to purchase Alon Wolf's horn system.


Hehe, that should be an all out splurge but it might take another 20 years. Actually his main purpose in attending the show was just to visit our good friend Lito Gelano and listen to the new ARC line-up. He told Lito it might take 10 more years for him to buy the toop end ARCs so I dragged him in to visit the VS boys - as it turned out, he told Jack he has not done an upgrade in like 10 years and it could be ripe for him to think of something like a VR4 or 5. If he does, then we might have to remove the tag fake audiophile and call him a real or ever surreal Bozanian. :lol:
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Postby mullard88 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 am

Jadis,

True. That's why Coltrane and I are just musing. If he were serious, he will be calling Alon on a daily or perhaps even more frequent basis.
User avatar
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:19 am

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby jadis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:27 pm

After re-reading my favorite novel for the third time within the last 40 years or so - Alexander Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo; the island prison Chateau d'If rung into my head so often that I thought I should revisit my own 'chateau thread' which I haven't done in ages. :lol: And I found old pictures of people (not prisoners) :lol: who have graced my humble chateau, which come to think of it, becomes a lonely place when I am the only one listening in the dark. 8) :lol:

Below, from the homecoming visit of ttommy a few years back.

Image

L-R: T-Rex, Eric Ambel, Tito, Setup2/Joel V., Mrs. Tito, and myself.

Image

Joel, Eric, Mrs. Y, Tito and mullard88.

Image

Mrs. Y and Mr. T.

And on another visit, the gang of 4 dropped in the chateau during the homecoming trip of Dimfer.

Image

Celtic great Kabubi, Dimfer, Val/audiostar, ESAudio/Atty. Patrick, and myself, the crazier Celtic great. :lol: We were all sandwiched between 'Maggie Q'. :lol:

To all those who have visited and livened up my days, many thanks. :) I
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby Superman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Hope to visit you soon, Idol Jadis
User avatar
Superman
Master Showman
 
Posts: 15235
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: Davao City

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby jadis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Superman wrote:Hope to visit you soon, Idol Jadis


I'll have my tripod ready for your 'fly in'. :) Your movie Man of Steel is coming soon na rin. :lol:
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby dimfer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:14 pm

brings back memories 8) that day was special - the food, the camaraderie and the musical experience. Cat Stevens' Father and Son got stuck to my mind for a while.. and of course the Pigs Eye Jass (still looking for one) and the different characters of different Cascades album pressings.

still one of the best sounding systems I've heard.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:33 pm
Location: Bozania

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:54 am

dimfer wrote:brings back memories 8) that day was special - the food, the camaraderie and the musical experience. Cat Stevens' Father and Son got stuck to my mind for a while.. and of course the Pigs Eye Jass (still looking for one) and the different characters of different Cascades album pressings.

still one of the best sounding systems I've heard.


thanks ding. and very gratified that you enjoyed your visit and one thing i always like to share with visiting friends are the great sounding records that i have discovered in my hunt. ws is a great bridge for bringing people in the hobby closer, and specially when we get to cross the seas and oceans for an audio meets, that truly is something else. i had a few 'pigs' then, but all run away from the 'pen'. will keep you in mind when another gets collared in here. :)
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby esi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:30 pm

After our 1st encounter during the mid 90's at Listening Room in Mega Mall i have always wanted to know more about the man behind the hobby of record collecting. I was a budding audiophile then but i have always been in love with MUSIC. Being a grandson of a former orchestral violinist it has been in my passion to appreciate good music. I have corresponded with the man I have considered the Harry Pearson of the Philippines which he is quite reluctant to accept. His thread on RECORDS and RECORDINGS has been my vinyl bible short of the main man himself...HP. After my first purchase of a HTF OOP vinyl, "Sounds Unheard Of" bundled with MINGUS AHH UM i have been graciously invited by this very hospitable man who seem to have found the elixir of youth. It was the 21 of September from 8:45 to 11:00 am that I have been schooled again in the basics of Audiophilia 101. Its has been and always have been THE MUSIC. A good number of us invest more with the gears but care a little with collecting the right software to bring out the best in our investment. His system would put to shame most of the multi-million peso set-ups which consisted of a VPI Turntable, a Jadis Tube Pre-amp, an Audio Research Phono stage and Tube Power Amp hooked up to the Maggies. The main component which most audiophiles set aside is the room, in this case its the main consideration. The result is a HOLOGRAPHIC 3D musical experience. From his Windham Hill Guitar Demo ( i forgot the album ) which made think that the guitar player was palpably real. The Mallets LP ( Again I forgot the title of the album ) wherein the separation of instruments was so distinct i could pin point where and what depth. Brother's Four Album need not be elaborated as this was truly an aural experience fully discussed by VD, Hansen aka Hyperion etc. Choral Music was heavenly and divine...Cantate Domino's Silent Night and Kornet Har Sin Vila's 1st track was in a different league altogether. The most exciting experience was with Mountain Dance Dave Grusin's Half Speed Nimbus pressing LP. WOW! I was plastered in my seat for the whole track! I never thought it would be as engaging as it was. I was thumping my foot the whole time! He said that the tubes need to be replaced by KT88s soon and this would make the experience several notches higher in terms of vocals. I could not forget the experience I had that I had dreams about it for 2 nights in a row. This post may seem a bit late due to the rigors and demands of work but let me tell you Philip Chua...you need to make a list of your own to educate us in appreciating GREAT MUSIC. Looking forward to that and the KT88s! Thanks for the time and your infectious passion on the hobby.
esi
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby jadis » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:41 pm

esi wrote:After our 1st encounter during the mid 90's at Listening Room in Mega Mall i have always wanted to know more about the man behind the hobby of record collecting. I was a budding audiophile then but i have always been in love with MUSIC. Being a grandson of a former orchestral violinist it has been in my passion to appreciate good music. I have corresponded with the man I have considered the Harry Pearson of the Philippines which he is quite reluctant to accept. His thread on RECORDS and RECORDINGS has been my vinyl bible short of the main man himself...HP. After my first purchase of a HTF OOP vinyl, "Sounds Unheard Of" bundled with MINGUS AHH UM i have been graciously invited by this very hospitable man who seem to have found the elixir of youth. It was the 21 of September from 8:45 to 11:00 am that I have been schooled again in the basics of Audiophilia 101. Its has been and always have been THE MUSIC. A good number of us invest more with the gears but care a little with collecting the right software to bring out the best in our investment. His system would put to shame most of the multi-million peso set-ups which consisted of a VPI Turntable, a Jadis Tube Pre-amp, an Audio Research Phono stage and Tube Power Amp hooked up to the Maggies. The main component which most audiophiles set aside is the room, in this case its the main consideration. The result is a HOLOGRAPHIC 3D musical experience. From his Windham Hill Guitar Demo ( i forgot the album ) which made think that the guitar player was palpably real. The Mallets LP ( Again I forgot the title of the album ) wherein the separation of instruments was so distinct i could pin point where and what depth. Brother's Four Album need not be elaborated as this was truly an aural experience fully discussed by VD, Hansen aka Hyperion etc. Choral Music was heavenly and divine...Cantate Domino's Silent Night and Kornet Har Sin Vila's 1st track was in a different league altogether. The most exciting experience was with Mountain Dance Dave Grusin's Half Speed Nimbus pressing LP. WOW! I was plastered in my seat for the whole track! I never thought it would be as engaging as it was. I was thumping my foot the whole time! He said that the tubes need to be replaced by KT88s soon and this would make the experience several notches higher in terms of vocals. I could not forget the experience I had that I had dreams about it for 2 nights in a row. This post may seem a bit late due to the rigors and demands of work but let me tell you Philip Chua...you need to make a list of your own to educate us in appreciating GREAT MUSIC. Looking forward to that and the KT88s! Thanks for the time and your infectious passion on the hobby.


Wow, thanks so much for the kind words, Doc Angelo that right now I have to :$ :$ :$

And as always, I am gratified after reading your kind feedback on the musical experience that is the room that I set up with passion throughout the years and am very happy you enjoyed the listening session in my place. The solo guitar was Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries on the Windham Hill label. And we share the same love for 'moving' music, music that fills our minds even after departing them, and I sense that you shared my audio philosophy when you described the 'effects' and 'results' of what you heard, and not just combination of the audio chain.

And the room, yes, it is an integral part of of sound, and is sewn to my skin as far as my audio hobby is concerned. You hit it right on the button on the 3D holographic nature of my soundstage because I work hell and highwater on it, without that net result my endeavors would have been a complete disappointment if not failure. The effects of a 'great recording' cannot be more emphasized by myself. If I can overdo something, that is what I will have to do, find MORE great recordings. When I was in my midfi to hifi days I was stunned to hear what a half speed LP did to my midfi system. From that time on, there was no more doubt in my mind that a great recording can make any system at any level 'better'. And I do not mean just the audiophile pressings but as I walked down the line, I discovered many 'normal' pressings that sounded paranormal. And those, I wanted to share with my friends. My subsequent record selling activities was, as I told you, brought about by friends wanting to buy my Brothers Four Sings Beatles and Kornet Har Sin Vila each time I played these for them. The joy in me is when people actually put in money to the records I played for them. That is the ultimate fulfillment on my part that they have liked what they've heard.

As for the music list, I have toyed with that for quite some time now and I realized how difficult it is to come up with such a list, and the name for it, I shudder at the thought of calling it a PC list, eh baka maging 'pisi' list na lang yan. :lol: At any rate, may be in due time it would come up but I need to concentrate on how to list them down as there are so many genres and some genres I do not even know of. Thanks for the encouragement re this suggestion. And indeed, when the magical KT88s arrive and are properly burned it, you will be amongst the first in my mind. 6550s and KT88s do different things well, and right now, the strength of the 6550s lies in the instrumentals. Vocals belong to the KT88s, in this chateau. :)

Thanks again for the visit and the record purchases, Doc. And most of all, thanks for writing in. :)
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Haute Résolution dans le Château... :lol:

Image

"A thousand mile journey always begins with the first step", so said my ancestors centuries ago. :D

So, an idle HP laptop with itunes is that first step.

Then a printer cable to hook with Morita's loaner Minimax DAC Plus which is already in da haus while I await from Jack the stick that will make me a 'geek'. :D

Then, we try to venture into the world of Haute Résolution, or High Res in the common lingo, to convert us into a 24/7 creature of the 24/192 variety. :D

I'm not expecting Brothers Four to become a Brothers Five, and definitely, most definitely, not converting the MOTHER LOAD into MOTHER DOWN-LOADS. :D

Zie Die ist CAST! :devil:
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby dimfer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:35 pm

:clap: :clap:

:bow:

:dance:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:33 pm
Location: Bozania

Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Jad(is) the Ripper... :lol:

Image

Faster than 12 o'clock, as they say, I can't believe that I'm now a certified ripper. :lol: I do that in my break time. I have to check if I am not becoming a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 'splito'. :lol: With Morita's Minimax DAC Plus in tow, I have the thing running and playing ripped CDs through my PC server. :clap: The Diva is sleeping and the Max phono is resting as well, good to preserve those valuable tubes. :lol: I'm playing music that I had on CDs that were not available on LPs, so it's a great feeling! No need to think about anything but letting the music take over our senses. Convenience - no contest. With a 2m printer cable which I should get soon, I can actually put the lap on my lap, so to speak. :lol: And I heard I can put an app in my android that will remotely control itunes. I can't believe server life can be that good. :lol: Did someone say I can multi-task while listening to itunes too? :lol:
User avatar
jadis
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Tubeland - The Tube Will Set You Free

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby dimfer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:14 am

haha - Jadis The Ripper... welcome to the wonderful world of server based playback... did I hear DSD? :rock:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:33 pm
Location: Bozania

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest