THE ONE-TON EGGLESTON loudspeaker-PART 4 S.Systems

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:19 pm

zach,

btw, what would be the ill effects of having the diffusor panels beside and behind the
loudspeakers?
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:23 pm

zach,

I think it's a tossup between the Ivy system and the soon to be posted Entec Ribbon
Acrylic systems. The Krell MRA system is up there too, but I'm not too sure of the prices-
these kinds of prices seem to DAZE me.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:26 pm

qguy,

and that is too broad and general a question....very hard to answer....as we cannot
compare apples and oranges, one system is cd based and the other may be analogue
based....all electronics are different brands....I really do not even know which exactly
is the most expensive, but all I can say, is , at the price point, they all sound great.
Each will have their own differences, and sound is based to on one's musical bias...
sorry, but I could not answer the question objectively.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby qguy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:30 pm

jadis,

among the 6 systems, 2 of which we have not seen, which one do you find to your liking ?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby zach » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:35 pm

jadis wrote:zach,

btw, what would be the ill effects of having the diffusor panels beside and behind the
loudspeakers?

depends din on the whole symetry of the room. the japanese studios have their diffusers behind the speakers, and behind the listening chair it would be dead. the more popular western concept has it the other way around.
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:38 pm

qguy wrote:jadis,

among the 6 systems, 2 of which we have not seen, which one do you find to your liking ?

you're really putting me on the spot, man. I will prepare a
more thought out answer maybe after I finish all systems, it may be
more than 6. I will try to give the positive qualities of each system,
then, I will mention my musical bias, and then , you will know which
I like. Fair enough?
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby qguy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:47 pm

hahaha...

My sincerest apologies.. I forgot that you knew the owners of these systems...pls ignore the last question...a description of the strengths of each system will be much appreciated..

BTW...sneek preview naman ....aside from the Entec ribbons what else are we going to see ?

thanks

jadis wrote:
qguy wrote:jadis,

you're really putting me on the spot, man. I will prepare a
more thought out answer maybe after I finish all systems, it may be
more than 6. I will try to give the positive qualities of each system,
then, I will mention my musical bias, and then , you will know which
I like. Fair enough?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:35 pm

qguy,

np....you will yet another complex system very very soon today, which is not the entecs, then i think there will be a gen2-halcro....sobrang daming halcros..... :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:58 am

Jadis,

To my ears, these Egglestones are the most neutral and natural sounding of all the supersystems you have posted. I remember being startled out of my "trance" the last time I listened to these speakers when my uncle called me and I thought that he was part of the recorded software that we were listening to at the time. And to think that we were listening to a digital source at that time. This system also revealed to me that neutrality does not appeal to me as much as resolution combined with beautiful musicality which I find ultimately satisfying. I also remember the time when I visited David Wilson and he purposely asked his wife Sheryl to sing live standing beside the left channel of his WAMM to illustrate to me how accurate his speakers are. That session was a truly an unforgettable experience which this super system reminds me of.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 am

qguy wrote:WOW !!!... any idea how much this setup cost? ...hehehe

i believe this one belongs to the
"IF-I-SHOULD-ASK-I-CAN'T-AFFORD-IT" league :shock:

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:04 am

Mullard,

It just occured to me that most audio gears in this room have been changed. Talk about a massive revamp... this system now is in part 4b and i heard the top line XLO anacondas and the even brawnier Transparent Cables are in, but I have not listened to them yet. Coltrane told me that this room is an excellent room ( size-wise ), not considering the hardwares yet.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:27 am

Jadis,

That's correct. The last time I went, the speakers were the Wilson Audio Alexandrias with the Burmeister electronics. However, this set up did not give me the experience of his previous set-up of the Egglestone and Halcro electronics. I prefer the newer set-up though. It sounded really good even when he had the left and right channels reversed. Has Coltrane listened to the latest equipment in this room?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby conspicuous » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:30 pm

jadis, is this the same room i visited with you and VD sometime this year?
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:25 pm

conspicuous wrote:jadis, is this the same room i visited with you and VD sometime this year?

Conspicuous,

No, that was another system.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 pm

mullard88 wrote:Jadis,

That's correct. The last time I went, the speakers were the Wilson Audio Alexandrias with the Burmeister electronics. However, this set up did not give me the experience of his previous set-up of the Egglestone and Halcro electronics. I prefer the newer set-up though. It sounded really good even when he had the left and right channels reversed. Has Coltrane listened to the latest equipment in this room?

Mullard,

Yes, I have accompanied Coltane to this room. We stayed until 1 a.m. in the morning. I did not even request to play the stupendous video 7.1 home theatre system which is quite state-of-the-art. We might have to sleep there, or not sleep at all. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:29 am

Jadis,

My goodness! You and Coltrane have a stamina that does not cease to amaze me. The two of you must be younger that what you and Coltrane claim to be. We all started this hobby and I assume were born at about the same era but I must have aged faster. I don't have the stamina that the two of you show. Staying at JackD201's place till 2:30 in the morning and at your uncle's place till 1:00 in the morning. And I know that you start listening to your system at 5:00 in the morning. Is there a secret for your stamina?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:13 am

Philip
looking at those cost-no-issue systems make me drool and at the same time wonder HOW they could re-produce 'life-like' sound when the rooms looked relatively cramped for their sizes? ok, i see the treatments, but... :?

without hearing them systems myself, i'd say THEY SHOULD produce good music (i mean what else should i expect from mega$$$ systems?), BUT i think they can be betterer if they were, say, in an auditorium or in listening rooms at least 2x of what they have at present. :?:

but i am totally amazed at these (and the money involved) which ordinary mortals (like me, for instance) can only dream about :o ... and i would be happier if i could touch (no touch??) or hear them personally: promise to bring my own drool cup 8)

keep the reviews & photos comin'

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:30 am

mullard88 wrote:Jadis,

My goodness! You and Coltrane have a stamina that does not cease to amaze me. The two of you must be younger that what you and Coltrane claim to be. We all started this hobby and I assume were born at about the same era but I must have aged faster. I don't have the stamina that the two of you show. Staying at JackD201's place till 2:30 in the morning and at your uncle's place till 1:00 in the morning. And I know that you start listening to your system at 5:00 in the morning. Is there a secret for your stamina?

Mullard,

Hehe... If I must say it will not be a secret anymore... :lol:
I don't know about Coltrane but I think it's in a certain zen practice and I think if we can learn to control our minds in a certain way our bodies may follow... I think Coltrane's secret is his threadmill that happens right after we talk in the mornings. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:42 am

Egay,

Bringing music into your room is always a task that involves compromises. I would believe the hobbyist begin to crack his head at this point. This room, SS4, is quite big for home audio standards. Maybe around 80 sq.m. with a 12 or 14 ft. ceiling. The others are smaller. Maybe the smaller ones may not be 'lifelike' but there will be some good points here and there about those systems. Yes, unless one has a room the size of an auditorium that is when you get a lifelike sound. There is one room in Manila that is as huge as an auditorium, but his speakers were the Sonus Electa Amator bookshelves. It would have been interesting if he had 8 foot behemoths for speakers for that room.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:07 pm

Looks can be deceiving. It is easy to generalize that free space loudspeakers room dimensions be proportionate to their own but this is not always the case. The main factor is the dispersion characteristic of the design. Planar users have a conditioned response wrought by experience to tend to look for larger and larger "wish" dimensions. This is totally normal since that is what planars and by that I mean the dipole variety require.

Having said that the next size requirement would be the distance from the listening position to the speaker plane. In the case of very large line arrays it is a matter of aim. With multi-driver pointsources there has to be enough distance for the drivers to integrate.

Whatever the case may be size is not the only consideration and more size does not normally guarantee better sound.

Room Integration is the most important yet most overlooked aspect in this hobby. In all the systems I've heard, seen, visited or even installed it is the ones that got this part right, Jadis' being perhaps one of the best examples, that have made the deepest musical impressions on me.
JackD201
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner