THE ONE-TON EGGLESTON loudspeaker-PART 4 S.Systems

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby egay » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:32 pm

JackD201 wrote:Looks can be deceiving. It is easy to generalize that free space loudspeakers room dimensions be proportionate to their own but this is not always the case. The main factor is the dispersion characteristic of the design. Planar users have a conditioned response wrought by experience to tend to look for larger and larger "wish" dimensions. This is totally normal since that is what planars and by that I mean the dipole variety require.

point taken. the allusion of proportionality of speaker sizes and room dimension is a VERY general personal observation of one having limited experience in sonics or audio engineering. nevertheless, practical deductions tell us that they should be seriously related up to an optimal point.

JackD wrote:Having said that the next size requirement would be the distance from the listening position to the speaker plane. In the case of very large line arrays it is a matter of aim. With multi-driver pointsources there has to be enough distance for the drivers to integrate.

Whatever the case may be size is not the only consideration and more size does not normally guarantee better sound.

agree 100%... but as i said, i am baffled :? that a tall speaker standing with roughly 300mm distance from their top and sides could be in their 'optimal' environment. i am not challenging the owners' choice neither their placement strategy but merely making an observation. for all i know i could be wrong as i have not heard them.

JackD wrote:Room Integration is the most important yet most overlooked aspect in this hobby.

precisely my point! :P but this is a BIG subject with many variables to contend with... in the end - and this is just my gut-feeling - "to each his own" :)

stay cool!
.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:57 pm

Always cool baby! :D Besides we all wish we had larger rooms anyway don't we? All I'm saying is that the theoretical "pure potential" for room dimensions is so far fetched that the difference of a few square meters hear and there wouldn't make much of a difference anyway PROVIDED there is ample spread between speakers ( 6 to10 feet)

To aid in the banishment of your befuddlement, this configuration (like the original B&W 800 shown in another supersystem thread),

woofer

mid

tweeter

mid

woofer

Is designed to help cancel floor and ceiling effects like a line source does.
Side primary reflection problems are dealt with in the same manner as any speaker even a small one (redirection, diffraction or absorption), as at least in this configuration the offensive area for beaming would be much the same size and the intensity remains a function of the owner's fingers and his volume knob.

The X-2s configuration is

mid
tweeter
mid
woofer
WOOFER

Hehehe. Love that big WOOFER. The X-2 strangley enough despite of its size allows for coherent sound even in a small space (if the dealer knows what he's doing, in this case JR does) by allowing mechanical time alignment of the varying modules. This is also said to be true with the likes of Avantgarde speakers like Georgie's for the same reason.

The main problem is in overloading the room. The short reverberation times cause bass signals to sum (and hum :cry:) secondary and tertiary peaks in the midbass territory :shock:

Fortunately there is a relatively simple solution for those with speakers that tend to overload rooms. Just use a lower powered amplifier and some judicious use of diffractive and absortive materials.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:11 pm

mullard88 wrote:Jadis,

My goodness! You and Coltrane have a stamina that does not cease to amaze me. The two of you must be younger that what you and Coltrane claim to be. We all started this hobby and I assume were born at about the same era but I must have aged faster. I don't have the stamina that the two of you show. Staying at JackD201's place till 2:30 in the morning and at your uncle's place till 1:00 in the morning. And I know that you start listening to your system at 5:00 in the morning. Is there a secret for your stamina?

Yeah! Gimme some of that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby egay » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:17 am

JackD201 wrote:Always cool baby! :D Besides we all wish we had larger rooms anyway don't we? All I'm saying is that the theoretical "pure potential" for room dimensions is so far fetched that the difference of a few square meters hear and there wouldn't make much of a difference anyway PROVIDED there is ample spread between speakers ( 6 to10 feet)

To aid in the banishment of your befuddlement, this configuration (like the original B&W 800 shown in another supersystem thread),

woofer

mid

tweeter

mid

woofer

Is designed to help cancel floor and ceiling effects like a line source does.
Side primary reflection problems are dealt with in the same manner as any speaker even a small one (redirection, diffraction or absorption), as at least in this configuration the offensive area for beaming would be much the same size and the intensity remains a function of the owner's fingers and his volume knob.

The X-2s configuration is

mid
tweeter
mid
woofer
WOOFER

Hehehe. Love that big WOOFER. The X-2 strangley enough despite of its size allows for coherent sound even in a small space (if the dealer knows what he's doing, in this case JR does) by allowing mechanical time alignment of the varying modules. This is also said to be true with the likes of Avantgarde speakers like Georgie's for the same reason.

The main problem is in overloading the room. The short reverberation times cause bass signals to sum (and hum :cry:) secondary and tertiary peaks in the midbass territory :shock:

Fortunately there is a relatively simple solution for those with speakers that tend to overload rooms. Just use a lower powered amplifier and some judicious use of diffractive and absortive materials.

:idea: this is what i call "Education" - there's no freakin' substitute for good theory PLUS solid field experience :D - thanks Jack!

i didn't realize that driver combinations aid in cancelling-out ceiling or floor effects... man, i should stop reading the comic sections and start learning these stuffs - at least for better appreciation of this hobby - not to be analytical when listening but to know that despite the imperfect environment, all things in the audio-chain are interacting/interfacing to the possible optimum.

now, i wouldn't ask about "those" dolls, figurines, and toy cars as the logic behind that might be beyond me 8)

I LOVE THIS GAME!
.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Octaver » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:43 am

qguy wrote:Follow up question ....Is the most espensive = the best sounding also ?

Hi qguy these are the ultimates! Larger than life set-up! What can you expect!! What I can say too good to be true SET-UP!!! How I wish to be KING Someday!!! :lol:
Octaver
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Jadis' Corner