PART 3- The BIG SuperSystems( B&W800, Rowland Model 8)

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby qguy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:23 am

Same girl from 24 and girl next door....ganda ng setup...tapos ganda pa ng icon..hehehe
qguy
Master
Master

Postby qguy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:28 am

Jadis,

the room 12 x 16, how far is 800's from the rear walls...how about the listener, how far is the listener from the 800....since the 800 are "quite" huge, how does it sound like to the seated listener...considering that the tweets/mids are in the 5 feet range

thanks
qguy
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:54 am

qguy,

Egglestones posted !!!!
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby zach » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:52 am

jadis wrote:hi zach,

I wouldn't know where they exactly got the idea to position those diffusor panels
at the speakers' side and back, but I know that the entire idea was started by a certain
doctor who commissioned a furniture maker to construct the RPG diffusor panels and pasted
them all over his room. In a short while, most of his audiophile friends followed by asking
this furniture maker to make theirs too, all around their rooms. I personally put one wide
panel behind my listening chair only.

ye, usually its installed at the back of the listening chair and sometimes the ceiling. :)
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby iceman90a » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:11 pm

jadis wrote:
iceman90a wrote:hi Sir,

what is that r2d2 lookalike in the center? and also the 2 black boxes on the right?

pls forgive my ignorance

hi ice,

the r2d2 clone is an air cleaner of some sorts. and the 2
black boxes are the mark levinson cd transport and dac.

thanks Jadis i figured that r2d2 couldn't be an audio equipment :)
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mullard88 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:46 am

Jadis,

The passion of this owner reminds me of yourself. You both possess the discipline to follow one path in assembling the pieces to create the proper combination of hardware and to painstakingly tune the listening room to bring out the music. This must be the most revealing room I have listened in as each change of tube or power cord instantly changed the flavor of the sound. By the way, has the owner tried the longer speaker cables on the bass inputs?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:24 am

Mullard,

I believe he did. He was able to source another pair of XLO 5s to make it a tri-wire configuration, with jumpers only running the mid to tweeter area. For a 20plus square meter room to house 4pcs of twelve inch woofers, the guy has accomplished something that I could not have done - the massive speakers disappear, as you have observed.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Bedroom Eyes » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:51 am

Jadis,

Give us your impressions while listening to his gear? 8)
Bedroom Eyes
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Bedroom Eyes wrote:Jadis,

Give us your impressions while listening to his gear? 8)

Bedroom Eyes,

What stands out will be a 'disappearing act' of the speakers despite such a small room. Images are well focused and tonal quality is quite warm although it may a bit 'dark' to some. Also, orchestral pieces there are very dynamic and fast without the unbearable boom that could arise because of the small room and huge speakers interaction. The combination is quite unorthodox bec normally people with such a small room will not choose a speaker this big, but he did, and he managed to find a way out of the possible problems that will arise.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Previous

Return to Jadis' Corner