Audio and Room Acoustics (Building a Listening Room)

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby highlander » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:19 pm

Another option on how to construct a Bass trap.... hope this helps DIY'ers

The procedure:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks ... 17498.html
The Pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/basstrap.htm
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:59 pm

great posts, highlander. many people had been looking for just that, re how to make
bass traps.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jhermano » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:32 pm

I apologize for butting into this discussion, but I feel I have to warn you guys that you have to be careful with these traps because you may be absorbing the wrong frequencies. My friend Noctilux is right, they are nothing new, these are just Helmholtz resonators, a principle used vey well by ancient civilizations. This is also the principle used in porting a speaker to extend low frequency response.

These resonators work in the same principle as blowing over the top of a bottle to generate a tone. Just as the amount of water in the bottle dictates the frequency of the tone generated, the traps you make should be tuned to the bass frequencies you want to absorb. It's best to know your room response before you make your traps.
jhermano

Postby jadis » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:27 pm

jhermano wrote:I apologize for butting into this discussion, but I feel I have to warn you guys that you have to be careful with these traps because you may be absorbing the wrong frequencies. My friend Noctilux is right, they are nothing new, these are just Helmholtz resonators, a principle used vey well by ancient civilizations. This is also the principle used in porting a speaker to extend low frequency response.

These resonators work in the same principle as blowing over the top of a bottle to generate a tone. Just as the amount of water in the bottle dictates the frequency of the tone generated, the traps you make should be tuned to the bass frequencies you want to absorb. It's best to know your room response before you make your traps.

no need to apologize, jhermano. all inputs welcome. yes, traps
have to be tuned to your room. that is why even building small or big
diameter trap is a trial error thing. the ears are the ultimate judge of
proper usage of these things.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jhermano » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:01 pm

To minimize the trial and error it's best to measure your room's Reverberation Time (RT60) to know where your problem frequencies are. I would only default to bass traps when there is an obvious peak in the low frequencies. It would be safer to use fiberglass as an absorber because it has a broad absorption coefficient. Placing the wrong bass trap may cause some major dips in your room's frequency response.

An easier way for the trial and error is to make a tunable trap. One end of the tube can be rigged to slide up and down the tube (in effect changing the chamber length) to change its resonant frequency.
jhermano

Re: Audio and Room Acoustics (Building a Listening Room)

Postby jadis » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Found a marvelous series of videos made by Paul McGowan, of PS Audio, Superphon, and Genesis fame, that chronicles his 'tearing down' of an existing sound/listening room of his in Denver, and rebuilding it from scratch into a new room, with blow by blow explanation of the whats, hows, and whys of building a listening room. Very useful for the audio hobbyist interested in making or remodeling his sound room.

I'm very happy to see a familiar brethren of my speakers, the Magnepan 3.6 in Paul's room, that is before he tore it down, :D and the most mouth-watering and luscious speakers I had seen and heard but never owned (wish I did) - The Infinity IRS V, which from my knowledge never landed in these islands. I only heard a II, and it was an unforgettable experience.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Previous

Return to Jadis' Corner