Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Ellington - Jazz Party

Postby jadis » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:17 pm

ELLINGTON - JAZZ PARTY IN STEREO

With keywords like 'Ellington', 'Jazz', 'Party', and 'Stereo', this album is sure to be 'Liked''. :) Killer cut is 'Malletoba Spank'. Lot of instruments to show how good the analog playback can be.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Bob and Ray

Postby jadis » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:26 pm

BOB AND RAY THROW A STEREO SPECTACULAR

If the purpose of home audio systems was to entertain, then this record served its purpose, and with a 'wow effect' to boot. This is a compilation of previously recorded music from RCA's catalog that was woven into a 'mini-movie' of some sorts, with Bob and Ray, the producer and engineer of some of RCA's albums, pretending to walk into a castle or weird abode of a mad audio scientist name Ahkbar. :lol: The 3D effects of the them moving around the room, creaking of doors, banging of anything that can be banged, is fantastic - specially if one considers it was done in the pre-Dolby era. :lol: When the music starts playing, one is driven to a fantasy music adventure ala those walking/tram tours inside Epcot in DisneyWorld. This copy, and original 1s/10s variety, sounds truly spectacular, considering the age of the music and the vinyl itself. Below, some nice 'artwork' that you can't find in downloaded music or High Res Files: :lol:

And the program material:

A truly spectacular album, as the title connotes. And highly enjoyable too with much variety of music. :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Linn Jazz

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:03 pm

THE MILCHO LEVIEV QUARTET

Don't ask me who they are because I'm not really a jazz guy but wait, I think I did have an Art Pepper LP long long time ago. :lol: Bulgarian jazz pianists are really foreign to me, as in Milcho Leviev. I didn't know the Kremlin allowed jazz in their 'bloc'. :lol: At any rate, this is a Linn Selekt Record so it should sound good, and hopefully the music does too. It came and it went in a hurry. Good thing I was able to snap a shot of it. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: St. Saens Symphony No. 3

Postby jadis » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 am

THE HOTTEST STAMPER OF THEM ALL... :inlove:

jadis wrote:Munch Time... :lol:

Saint Saens Symphony No. 3 - Charles Munch/
Boston Symphony

There is talk that this original RCA Living Stereo album is among the handful of 'must-own' records in classical recordings. That is quite true. And there is talk (in my dreams) that this record will result in the arrival of a JL, Rel, or Rythmik sub in my listening room. That is quite untrue. :lol: So before any dreams and lotto jackpot will come true, I have to nab this 1s/1s stamper first, before it disappears and never to return. :lol: Words simply cannot describe this magnificent recording, with the organ blending so well with the orchestra, that when the crescendo arrives, one cannot help it but to stand up and conduct with Munch. :lol: Truly a recording spectacular. :clap:

Was listening to this magnificent album last night and was in the 'macro mood' to shoot some close up shots of the 1s/1s Indianapolis stamper of this famed RCA shaded dog recording. In terms of orchestral recoding, it seems to possess everything a fan looks for, a total package so to speak. The stamper numbers ending in 1S/1S is the 'icing on the cake plus some sprinkles of chocolate chip toppings'. Luscious. :lol:

Side 2 matrix stampers matching with the label number of K2 RY2265. 1S for 1st pressing run:

Side 1 stamper number K2 RY2264 1S

jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Bernie Grundman

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:57 pm

We've heard the saying 'carved in stone'. Well this one is 'carved in plastic'. :lol: From a remastering job by Bernie Grundman on the Classic reissue of Dusty Springfield's 'The Look of Love' single. Only the 45 RPM side has his signature carved on the dead wax.
jadis
Legend
Legend

RR Viola

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:34 pm

VIOLA AND THE JAMES CARTER CHAMBER ENSEMBLE

An early Reference Recordings release, RR-4 features viola and a chamber ensemble. I can't cease to love these kinds of albums. Music is sublime, instruments recorded with incredible realism with rich tonal textures. In a word - BEAUTIFUL!
jadis
Legend
Legend

STEVE KHAN - EVIDENCE

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:50 am

STEVE KHAN - EVIDENCE (NIMBUS SUPERCUT UK)

I have come to expect a certain above average quality with Nimbus Supercut recordings. In fact, they are to me, highly exceptional and is now a benchmark in remastering jobs as far as records are concerned. This one is for mainstream jazz fans, redone is the purest form, Steve Khan rendering on the guitar, music of Wayne Shorter, Randy Brecker, Lee Morgan and Theolonius Monk. While I am not a die in the wool jazz man, I can appreciate this kind of music, specially when it sounds so rich and airy. Very enjoyable if one wants to get a break from the bang and baroom of cetain types of music. :) It's a very nice album that one can play from A-Z.

Steve Khan:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Rite of Spring

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:24 pm

RITE OF SPRING - MERCURY LIVING PRESENCE ORIGINAL FACTORY SEALED COPY

ANTAL MEETS IGOR, VIA BOB AND GEORGE. And there will be some 'ripping' of the cellophane seal from many decades ago. I won't be doing the honors, sad to say, as it has been de-owned upon its arrival. :lol:

Again, showing the precious 'wrinkles' of the shink, a valuable sight for these things as they get older. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Stravinsky - Petrouschka

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:22 pm

STRAVINSKY - PETROUSCHKA (THE COMPLETE BALLET)

The above image in the cover is basically what happens when one exits from a musical experience in the Imperial Palace - one gets into a THINKING MODE. :lol: This should be a good one, from an old dedicated record company called Sweet Thunder that remastered original recordings via the half speed method. Alas, this factory sealed version rolled like thunder into the 'de-owned' bin and as quick as lightning, disappeared into the night. :lol:

This is the kind of stuff that makes my day in scrounging for high quality vinyl, from dedicated producers who have in mind that music deserves to be heard better at home.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Jadis' Jades - The Super Disks

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 am

JADIS' JADES...aka PC's SDs (SuperDisks)

As this thread moves towards its 10th year, and with a little nudge from my friends, particularly Doc Esi who a few years ago gave me the idea of compiling a list of the best LP recordings I have heard or mentioned in this R&R thread; I have finally garnered enough energy and concentration to come up with a short list of some very notable recordings which I truly cherish, enjoy, and consider a joy to keep forever. But before that, I would like to mention that the records, which by and large have been posted here already, are my personal favorites and reflect my own taste and bias. Music, like many other things in life, is tremendously subjective, and I greatly subscribe to the saying - 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. :) And the list does not include OPMs because my favorite OPMs are mostly on Compact Discs. :)

THE DESERT ISLAND LIST: :lol:

1. Kornet Har Sin Vila*
Original 1981 Pressing Proprius Sweden
2.The Cascades - Rhythm of the Rain
Valiant USA & Mareco Phils. Stereo Pressings
3. The Weavers - Reunion at Carnegie Hall<>
Vanguard USA Gray Stereolab 1st Pressing Gatefold Cover
4. Brothers Four Sings Lennon McCartney*
Columbia USA 2 Eyes Stereo
5. Kenny G Live*<>
Arista USA 2 LP Gatefold (Promo and Regular US pressings)
6. La Fille Mal Gardee*<>
Decca Wide Band UK 1st Pressing
7. Dave Grusin - Mountain Dance*<>
Nimbus Supercut UK Pressing
8. Earl Klugh - Living Inside Your Love*<>
9. Carol Kidd - All My Tomorrows*<>
Aloi Linn Original UK Pressing
10. Doris Day - Latin for Lover
Columbia USA 2 eyes Stereo
11. Julie London - Latin in a Satin Mood
Liberty USA Stereo
12. Best of Julie London - Best 20
Liberty Japan Stereo
13. Radka Toneff - Fairytales*
Odin Original Pressing, Norway
14. Beverley Craven – Self Titled
Sony/Epic UK
15. Anne Karin Kaasa - Svalande Vind<>
Kirkelig Records, Sweden
16. Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat<>
Cypress USA Original Pressing
17. Mary Black - Babes in the Woods
Grapevine UK Pressing
18. Cantate Domino*<>
Proprius Original, JVC half speed, Super Analog and ATR German Mastercut
19. Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Fall in Love Again
Scepter USA Stereo
20. The Mambo Kings OST*
Warner German & Brazilian Pressings

THE 'SHOCK AND AWE' LIST... :lol:

1. Friday Night in San Francisco*<>
CBS DM Japan Pressing
2. Jazzical - Wayne Bedrosian Trio<>
Perpetua Records JVC Test Pressing and US Regular Pressing
3. Charango - Jaime Torres*
Messidor Germany
4. All-Star Percussion Ensemble Plays Bizet<>
Golden String Records, Doug Sax Mastering 180g pressing
5. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um<>
Columbia Original 6 Eyes USA
6. Saul Goodman - Mallets Melody and Mayhem<>
Columbia Original 6 Eyes USA Stereo
7. Pigs Eye Jass*<>
Insight Records USA
8. Don Shirley Trio - Water Boy<>
Original Cadence Records Stereo USA
9. L.A. Four - Just Friends*<>
Concord Records Direct to Disc
10. Moonlight Serenade<>
Original Jeton Records Germany
11. Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman<>
Original UK Island Solid Pink Label 1st Pressing
12. Gounod Faust/ Bizet Carmen<>
RCA USA Original and Classic Records Pressing
13. Hi Fi ala Espanola<>
Mercury USA Original and Classic Records Pressing
14. Mysterious World of Bernard Herrmann<>
Original UK Decca PFS Pressing
15. Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar <>
TBM Toshiba/EMI Pressing Japan
16. Beethoven - Appassionata<>
Japan RCA 45 RPM
17. Provocative Percussion - Enoch Light
Command Records Original USA
18. Dafos – Micky Hart, Airto Moreira<>
Reference Recordings
19. James Newton Howard and Friends<>
Sheffield Lab Direct to Disc
20. Professor Johnson Astounding Sound Show<>
Reference Recordings 45 RPM
21. Ortofon Test Record 003*
Ortofon Original Pressing
22. For Duke*<>
M&K Direct Disc
23. Koto Vivaldi Four Seasons
Toshiba/EMI Japan Pressing
24. Belafonte at Carnegie Hall<>
RCA USA Original Pressing Living Stereo
25. John Klemmer - Straight From the Heart*<>
Nautilus Direct to Disc
26. Royal Ballet - Ansermet<>
RCA USA Original and Classic Records Pressings
27. Sheffield Track Record
Sheffied Lab Direct Disc<>
28.Time Warp
Telarc Records
29. Antiphone Blues<>
Proprius Original and ATR pressings
30. Lincoln Mayorga & Friends Vol 1 (S9) and Vol. 3
Sheffield Lab Direct Disc

THE EASY LISTENING LIST:

1. Toots Thielmanns - Contrasts
Command Records
2. Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries<>
Windham Hill Records
3. Tony Mottola - String Band and Strum Along
Command Records
4. Singers Unlimited - Acappella
MPS BASF UK and Japan Pressings
5. Tafelmusik*<>
6. Vivaldi Lute Trios and Concertos<>
Hungaraton Original Pressing
7. Earl Klugh Trio
Warner Germany
8. Billy Joe Walker - Treehouse
MCA USA
9. Jazz at the Pawnshop 1.2. & 3 <>
Original Proprius pressings, JVC half speed for Volume 1
10. Getz Gilberto
MFSL Pressing
11. Ana Caram - Rio After Dark*<>
Chesky Records
12. Jim Brock - Tropic Affair
Reference Recordings
13. Dave Grusin - Discovered Again
14. 30 Years Tubes
Mark Levinson/ABC Presssing
15. Acoustic Alchemy - Blue Chip
MCA Records
16. The Strayaway Child
Song of the Wood Records
17. The Guitar Artistry of Charlie Byrd<>
Nimbus Supercut UK
18. Mozart – Fortepiano Concerto<>
Edition K Open Window Germany
19. Vivaldi – Italienische Musik fur Laute <>
20. La Vie – Pierre Buzon
Audiolab Records Japan
21. Rossini – Double Bass Concerto*<>
EMI UK and Germany
22. Bob James and Earl Klugh – One on One
CBS Half Speed Mastered
23. Stanley Black – Digital Spectaculars
Decca Records UK
24. Soular Energy – Ray Brown Trio
Concord Original USA and Germany
25. Late Night Guitar – Earl Klugh*
MFSL

A FEW GOOD MEN:

1. Nat King Cole - Love is the Thing
DCC Stereo, Mark Levinson ABC pressings
2. The Best of Nat King Cole
3. Eric Clapton - Unplugged
EU 2-LP pressing
4. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly<>
Original USA and MFSL Pressing
5. Johnny Mathis - Heavenly*<>
Original 6 eyes Stereo, MFSL Pressing
6. Aaron Neville - Warm Your Heart<>
Original Holland & Classic Records Pressing
7. James Taylor - JT
Original Columbia USA pressing
8. Willie Nelson – Stardust
CBS Half Speed Mastering
9. Julio Iglesias – 1100 Bel Air Place
CBS USA
10. Kenny Loggins – Nightwatch
CBS USA

A FEW MORE GOOD WOMEN: :) (Don't I just love them) 8)

1. Joan Baez Diamonds and Rust in the Bullring<>
Gold Castle USA Pressing
2. Roberta Flack – Killing Me Softy
Original Atlantic USA
3. Amanda McBroom - Dreaming
Monster Cable Gecko Edition
4. Linda Ronstadt – Sentimental Reasons*<>
Asylum USA
5. Enya – Watermark
WEA USA and Germany
6. Amanda McBroom – Growing Up in Hollywood Town
7. Clair Marlo – Let It Go
CISCO Records Pressing
8. Patricia Barber – Café Blue<>
Premonition Black Label USA
9. Dionne Warwick – Promises Promises
Scepter Stereo USA
10. Barbra Streisand – Memories
CBS DM Japan Pressing

* Over the years, I developed something from collecting many copies of the same album - 'Hoardiliosis'. :D :D And that in turn resulted in the creation of the "P.D.A.F. Syndrome" (Phil’s Deadly Allocation to Friends). :D To me, the P.D.A.F is a good indicator of a good sounding record. :D :D

<>This mark, like the Telefunken tube base diamond mark <>, connotes here exceptional sounding records in terms of recording, where you have an almost perfect recreation of the sound space of the recording venue or studio, in palpable 3D quality, not to mention the seamless balance of top, mid and low frequencies, without compression nor exaggeration of musical content. These recordings are above anything else I have heard so far.

Postscript:

This is not an end all be all list by any standards, and the list simply represents the 'vinyl treasures' I have discovered in the decades of hunting for great and exceptional sounding records. I am sure there are millions more great LPs out there that I have not unearthed nor heard. And I am indebted to the late WS member and true guru of great recordings, Pic Annonuevo, or PICAN here on WS. It was he who opened my eyes and ears to great things happening inside the vinyl grooves, in terms of a special effort to produce a better sounding record in contrast to those millions and zillions of mass-market LPs that were being churned out then. He would jokingly call me Mr. Lionel Richie for looking for those sorts of pop records the first time we met in his house in the mid 80s. During that time, he pulled out a Linn/Aloi LP of Carol Kidd and told me to listen and he told me it will be so different from whatever I have heard in tems of recording and not just the voice and instruments in the record. It didn't take long before I was looking for those types of records, in my visits to HK and other countries, and even using snail mail to connect with record producers all over the world and then risking my hard earned money (cash wrapped in carbon paper inside a Par Avion envelop) to have sellers ship the LPs by 'pony express'.

I was touched when Pic told me that, for the recordings ‘talk’ that we were supposed to split between the 2 of us in Val’s Analog 101 seminar a few years back, he has given me the green light to cover the records topic by myself. I was speechless, and I considered it a great honor that the teacher had given his trust to the student. I met so many valuable friends in the course of trading and dealing records through the years. And I do not buy vinyl just because it is spelled vinyl. To me, vinyl is not a badge or license that has a positive meaning in itself, vinyl has to be done well, and done right, and most of all, it has to sound SOUND GREAT for it occupy its place in the audio hobby. And recalling what I said in Analog 101, the record hunting experience to me was inspired by a simple saying - 'garbage in, garbage out'. To me, the beginning of the audio chain is not the turntable/arm/cartridge rig – it is that light circular plastic that one puts in the platter. :) This list is a product of that 1 small step that Pican taught me long ago, and has resulted in a giant leap as far as my knowledge in record collecting is concerned. In this vinyl hunting endeavor, I will always be a student - forever.

Thanks for reading. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Records and Recordings

Postby esi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:13 am

Bravo Phil! Im so honored that you have mentioned my name here. And it is true I have been in eager anticipation for this list to come out. There is nothing like something coming from our very own group. There was Harry Pearson, Arthur Salvatore and Steve Hoffman. We in Wiredstate we have PHILIP CHUA!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: . Lets meet up soon!
esi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:21 am

esi wrote:Bravo Phil! Im so honored that you have mentioned my name here. And it is true I have been in eager anticipation for this list to come out. There is nothing like something coming from our very own group. There was Harry Pearson, Arthur Salvatore and Steve Hoffman. We in Wiredstate we have PHILIP CHUA!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: . Lets meet up soon!

Many thanks too Doc Angelo. It is the passion for music and hobby that drove us into this, and I am delighted to see so many of us here who share the same viewpoint and philosophy with regards to our source material. I do not see myself as any of those big audio luminaries nor do I really aspire to be one, so it's very gratifying, Doc, to hear your kinds words and putting me in the same breath as them. :) :$

Hoping to see you soon too, possibly with Dr. G too. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:34 am

It's been 10 years na pala :D imagine that we lasted this long just talking about the music that we loved to listen to :)

And yes, the deep passion that we got ourselves into were due to the late Professor's influence on us :)

Cheers for another decade ahead :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:42 am

Jon Agner wrote:It's been 10 years na pala :D imagine that we lasted this long just talking about the music that we loved to listen to :)

And yes, the deep passion that we got ourselves into were due to the late Professor's influence on us :)

Cheers for another decade ahead :)

Yes Jon. Those coffee sessions in malls, and the one we had with Pic was quite memorable. It's time for another pupil, to come out again. ;)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby esi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:36 pm

I have been in and out of this thread (more than any other in this forum) ever since i have been a member way back then. Again my congratulations to you Philip. Just to TOXICIFY ]:) you even more, may i humbly suggest for the benefit of newbies and lazy lurkers (like me), to add a link to your personal review/s (since some have multiple) of the respective album in the list if there is one or more available. In this way, an elaborate discussion of the individual albums would be available to us on the fly! ;) I have invited some of my colleagues in this forum and they were clamouring for this...tamad lang talaga mag-browse. :rofl:
esi
Citizen
Citizen

JADIS' JADES

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:04 pm

esi wrote:I have been in and out of this thread (more than any other in this forum) ever since i have been a member way back then. Again my congratulations to you Philip. Just to TOXICIFY ]:) you even more, may i humbly suggest for the benefit of newbies and lazy lurkers (like me), to add a link to your personal review/s (since some have multiple) of the respective album in the list if there is one or more available. In this way, an elaborate discussion of the individual albums would be available to us on the fly! ;) I have invited some of my colleagues in this forum and they were clamouring for this...tamad lang talaga mag-browse. :rofl:

That shouldn't be a problem, Doc. :) I kinda know this thread like the palm of my hand already as I believe I should. :lol: I know the feeling of your colleagues as this has been almost a ten year on going thread with 146 pages and they would go like, 'where do I begin?...' :lol: I'll do it part by part and attach the WS links to each LP with an in-depth description of the album, like right now I know there was a conversation re the Brothers Four Lennon album in which one of our founders VD jokingly mentioned he was the '5th Brother' humming in the background along with the original 4. :D Stay tuned. It might take some time off my day job but what the heck, :D I used to escape my day job driving from north to south of the city just to buy some newly arrived records. :D We do everything to explore the world of black vinyl. Well, almost everything. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

JADIS' JADES

Postby esi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 pm

:clap: :clap: :) :)
esi
Citizen
Citizen

Jadis' Jades - The Super Disks

Postby jadis » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Doc Esi,

Here is the 'index' as requested. To speed up things, I requested an assistant who was not doing anything, to do a search inside WS for the keywords for easy cross-referencing and she virtually found everything except for Sheffield's Discovered Again, which she said constantly appeared in my 'selling thread'. "Ah, I said, that's ok, because it means that the said LP has a high 'PDAF' rating. "PDAF???" she uttered.I said: "SHHHH!!!!, sa plaka lang yan, baka akala pa ng tao kung ano na tayo, baka ma subpoena pa tayo." :D My assistant is very innocent. :D I told her to just list the page numbers instead of the cut and paste approach to make it more simple as the page numbers are on the top and bottom right side of each page. And so, the bold numbers beside the album titles connote the page number in this thread wherein there is a pic and a short description of the album. Multiple pages means multiple pressings or a new insight on the same album. Slowly, I shall be visiting the pages and then attaching the links of the WS page. I have the link for the Kornet and Cascades to start with. :) Hope your colleagues enjoy the read, Doc. :)

THE DESERT ISLAND LIST: :lol:

1. Kornet Har Sin Vila* 109
Original 1981 Pressing Proprius Sweden

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2160

2.The Cascades - Rhythm of the Rain 5, 7, 51, 69
Valiant USA & Mareco Phils. Stereo Pressings

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=80
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1000
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1360

3. The Weavers - Reunion at Carnegie Hall<> 95, 106
Vanguard USA Gray Stereolab 1st Pressing Gatefold Cover

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1880
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2100

4. Brothers Four Sings Lennon McCartney* 2, 9, 29, 131
Columbia USA 2 Eyes Stereo

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=20
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=160
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=560
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2600

5. Kenny G Live*<> 117, 134, 145
Arista USA 2 LP Gatefold (Promo and Regular US pressings)

http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... start=2320
http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... start=2660
http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... start=2880

6. La Fille Mal Gardee*<> 5, 13
Decca Wide Band UK 1st Pressing

http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=80
http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=240

7. Dave Grusin - Mountain Dance*<> 99

http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... start=1960

8. Earl Klugh - Living Inside Your Love*<> 100

http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... start=1980

9. Carol Kidd - All My Tomorrows*<> 15, 140
Aloi Linn Original UK Pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=280
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2780

10. Doris Day - Latin for Lover 8, 85, 90
Columbia USA 2 eyes Stereo

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=140
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1680
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1780

11. Julie London - Latin in a Satin Mood 83
Liberty USA Stereo

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1640

12. Best of Julie London - Best 20 132, 140
Liberty Japan Stereo

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2620
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2780

13. Radka Toneff - Fairytales* 4, 96
Odin Original Pressing, Norway

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=60
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1900

14. Beverley Craven – Self Titled 4
Sony/Epic UK

15. Anne Karin Kaasa - Svalande Vind<> 106
Kirkelig Records, Sweden

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2100

16. Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat<> 10
Cypress USA Original Pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=180

17. Mary Black - Babes in the Woods 5
Grapevine UK Pressing

18. Cantate Domino*<> 5, 140
Proprius Original, JVC half speed, Super Analog and ATR German Mastercut

19. Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Fall in Love Again 95, 117
Scepter USA Stereo

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1880
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2320

20. The Mambo Kings OST* 51, 104
Warner German & Brazilian Pressings

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1000
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2060

THE 'SHOCK AND AWE' LIST... :lol:

1. Friday Night in San Francisco*<> 13, 20, 108
CBS DM Japan Pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=240
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=380
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=380

2. Jazzical - Wayne Bedrosian Trio<> 122, 137
Perpetua Records JVC Test Pressing and US Regular Pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2420
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2720

3. Charango - Jaime Torres* 4, 35
Messidor Germany

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=680

4. All-Star Percussion Ensemble Plays Bizet<> 145
Golden String Records, Doug Sax Mastering 180g pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=680

5. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um<> 137
Columbia Original 6 Eyes USA

6. Saul Goodman - Mallets Melody and Mayhem<>127, 133
Columbia Original 6 Eyes USA Stereo

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2640
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2520

7. Pigs Eye Jass*<> 119
Insight Records USA

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2360

8. Don Shirley Trio - Water Boy<> 54
Original Cadence Records Stereo USA

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=1060

9. L.A. Four - Just Friends*<> 8
Concord Records Direct to Disc

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=140

10. Moonlight Serenade<> 104, 123
Original Jeton Records Germany

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2060
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2440

11. Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman<> 95, 101, 122, 131
Original UK Island Solid Pink Label 1st Pressing
12. Gounod Faust/ Bizet Carmen<> 143
RCA USA Original and Classic Records Pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2840

13. Hi Fi ala Espanola<> 143
Mercury USA Original and Classic Records Pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2840

14. Mysterious World of Bernard Herrmann<> 115
Original UK Decca PFS Pressing
15. Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar <> 25, 74
TBM Toshiba/EMI Pressing Japan
16. Beethoven - Appassionata<> 13, 18
Japan RCA 45 RPM
17. Provocative Percussion - Enoch Light 137
Command Records Original USA

18. Dafos – Micky Hart, Airto Moreira<> 5, 110
Reference Recordings
19. James Newton Howard and Friends<> 12, 70, 79
20. Professor Johnson Astounding Sound Show<> 5
21. Ortofon Test Record 003* 13, 22, 98
Ortofon Original Pressing
22. For Duke*<> 7, 9
M&K Direct Disc
23. Koto Vivaldi Four Seasons 113
Toshiba/EMI Japan Pressing
24. Belafonte at Carnegie Hall<> 25, 52, 124
RCA USA Original Pressing Living Stereo
25. John Klemmer - Straight From the Heart*<> 64, 65
Nautilus Direct to Disc
26. Royal Ballet - Ansermet<> 111
RCA USA Original and Classic Records Pressings
27. Sheffield Track Record 71
Sheffied Lab Direct Disc<>
28.Time Warp 84
Telarc Records
29. Antiphone Blues<> 55, 85
Proprius Original and ATR pressings
30. Lincoln Mayorga & Friends Vol 1 (S9) and Vol. 3 67

THE EASY LISTENING LIST:

1. Toots Thielmanns - Contrasts 126
Command Records

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2500

2. Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries<> 124
Windham Hill Records

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2460

3. Tony Mottola - String Band and Strum Along 128
Command Records

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2540

4. Singers Unlimited - Acappella 145
MPS BASF UK and Japan Pressings

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2880

5. Tafelmusik*<> 19, 94
6. Vivaldi Lute Trios and Concertos<> 13
Hungaraton Original Pressing
7. Earl Klugh Trio 95, 137
Warner Germany
8. Billy Joe Walker - Treehouse 75
MCA USA
9. Jazz at the Pawnshop 1.2. & 3 <> 101, 137
Original Proprius pressings, JVC half speed for Volume 1
10. Getz Gilberto 126
MFSL Pressing

11. Ana Caram - Rio After Dark*<> 132
Chesky Records

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2620

12. Jim Brock - Tropic Affair 89, 93
Reference Recordings
13. Dave Grusin - Discovered Again
14. 30 Years Tubes 36
Mark Levinson/ABC Presssing
15. Acoustic Alchemy - Blue Chip 125
MCA Records

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2480

16. The Strayaway Child 4
Song of the Wood Records
17. The Guitar Artistry of Charlie Byrd<> 128
Nimbus Supercut UK

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2540

18. Mozart – Fortepiano Concerto<> 145

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2880

19. Vivaldi – Italienische Musik fur Laute <> 3
20. La Vie – Pierre Buzon 17
Audiolab Records Japan
21. Rossini – Double Bass Concerto*<> 88
EMI UK and Germany
22. Bob James and Earl Klugh – One on One 7
CBS Half Speed Mastered
23. Stanley Black – Digital Spectaculars 59
Decca Records UK
24. Soular Energy – Ray Brown Trio 107, 139
Concord Original USA and Germany
25. Late Night Guitar – Earl Klugh* 59
MFSL

A FEW GOOD MEN:

1. Nat King Cole - Love is the Thing 95, 126
2. The Best of Nat King Cole 126

3. Eric Clapton - Unplugged 129
EU 2-LP pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2560

4. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly<> 119
Original USA and MFSL Pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2360

5. Johnny Mathis - Heavenly*<> 111, 126, 132
Original 6 eyes Stereo, MFSL Pressing
6. Aaron Neville - Warm Your Heart<> 57, 144
Original Holland & Classic Records Pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2860

7. James Taylor - JT 130
Original Columbia USA pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2580

8. Willie Nelson – Stardust 10, 77
CBS Half Speed Mastering
9. Julio Iglesias – 1100 Bel Air Place 117
CBS USA
10. Kenny Loggins – Nightwatch 76
CBS USA

A FEW MORE GOOD WOMEN: :) (Don't I just love them) 8)

1. Joan Baez Diamonds and Rust in the Bullring<> 120, 121
Gold Castle USA Pressing

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2380

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2400

2. Roberta Flack – Killing Me Softy 6, 108
Original Atlantic USA
3. Amanda McBroom - Dreaming 16
Monster Cable Gecko Edition
4. Linda Ronstadt – Sentimental Reasons*<> 9
Asylum USA
5. Enya – Watermark 144
WEA USA and Germany

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3519&start=2860

6. Amanda McBroom – Growing Up in Hollywood Town 16, 68
7. Clair Marlo – Let It Go 120, 136
CISCO Records Pressing
8. Patricia Barber – Café Blue<> 106, 128
Premonition Black Label USA
9. Dionne Warwick – Promises Promises 102
Scepter Stereo USA
10. Barbra Streisand – Memories 13, 132
CBS DM Japan Pressing
jadis
Legend
Legend

Koto Vivaldi Four Seasons

Postby jadis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:33 pm

KOTO VIVALDI - THE FOUR SEASONS

A dog can get tired of the same dog food everyday. And I have heard many people say they're tired of the same Four Seasons played again and again. that is on the western string orchestra. Enter the 'eastern' Koto instrument for a change. And recorded on the high quality Toshiba/EMI label of Japan, this piece of music is really stunning. And I have to listen to the whole piece again in one sitting. It is now to me a piece of music for ALL seasons. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Kenny G - Breathless

Postby jadis » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 pm

KENNY G - BREATHLESS (GERMAN PRESSING)

Been waiting for the longest time for a European pressing of this album, as I have the Brazilian pressing and is far from satisfactory. Poor vinyl quality. The recording sounds promising that prompted me to call out the hawks to find me a Euro or US copy, and this one just came in, a German pressed in Munich copy. Sound is wonderful. Sweet, lush and very melodious. Very musical and most cuts are very listenable and relaxing. 1992 Arista release, in those times, the vinyl was dead rumor was at its loudest though apparently greatly exaggerated. The good thing going for the CD of this is that it's got some bonus tracks not found in the LP. But that's ok with me. :)

jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner