Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Records and Recordings

Postby TheAnalogSource » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:28 pm

If the Kenny g live already cost an arm...the breathless will include all the other appendage. Very hard to come by in eBay discogs and other selling sites. I'd settled listening to it on wedding banquets hehe me pakain pa haha
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby jadis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:36 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:If the Kenny g live already cost an arm...the breathless will include all the other appendage. Very hard to come by in eBay discogs and other selling sites. I'd settled listening to it on wedding banquets hehe me pakain pa haha

nols, i had to check my toes if they were intact when i paid for this. :D my motto on these things is still: "seek, and ye shall find." :lol:

and just to add, this breathless album's recording is just as good as the 'live' 2lp set, with a different set of music as this was done in '92 while the live if i'm not mistaken was performed and compiled in the late 80s. it's one of those few lps that 'move' my senses at the moment the needle drops into it and i forgot about everything, including the arm and the leg. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:18 am

hehe yep seek and seek until you find hahaha

while you are in a kenny g fever...another harder to find album is the DYING YOUNG OST. music by James Newton Howard.

going back to how rare the kenny g albums are , i would place it like this.....LIVE < DYING YOUNG OST < BREATHLESS
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby jadis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:58 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:hehe yep seek and seek until you find hahaha

while you are in a kenny g fever...another harder to find album is the DYING YOUNG OST. music by James Newton Howard.

going back to how rare the kenny g albums are , i would place it like this.....LIVE < DYING YOUNG OST < BREATHLESS

i had the ost of dying young back then, in cd. nice music too, pero nakakalungkot. i didn't even want to see the movie. ;(
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:24 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:hehe yep seek and seek until you find hahaha

Deym, I saw that album in one of my out of town thirft shop sorties :( :(
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

For Sentimental Reasons (Lent for Promo Copy)

Postby jadis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:02 pm

'LENT' (FOR PROMO) COPY

LINDA RONSTADT - FOR SENTIMENTAL REASONS

Now I've seen them all. Promo Copy. Demo Copy. DJ Copy. And now 'Lent for Promotional Use and to RETURN Upon Demand of Owner' Copy. :o Or in the local lingo, 'Pina-arbor para i-promo pero pag hinigi ko ulit isole mo' Copy. :lol: That is clear enough. :lol:

I usually take a mindset that unless I hear a sound that I like better, a Promo Copy is nothing else but an ordinary record. And I had that stance when I listened to this one. Being my favorite of the Riddle/Ronstadt trilogy works, I was thrilled to have this title available on such a pressing. And the proof of the pudding is in the eating or out it goes to the recycle bin, so to speak. Jumping to my favorite cut, the title cut, I played first my regular copy and actually it sounded pretty good as I remembered it to be. Moving on to the 'Lent' Copy, I am quite shocked to find out that the entire audio spectrum from top to bottom is all fleshed out, making the regular copy sound 'veiled' by comparison. And there is no sacrifice of anything in this 'lent' copy. It sounded just downright musical even from a non-analytical point of view. No added shrillness nor edge. And the stage can be felt much better, as if some lighting had been added. It is by and large a more superior sounding pressing. So, my conclusion here is that, there is TRUTH in LENDING ACT - be it in Federal or Vinyl Record Law. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

More Breathless

Postby jadis » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:39 pm

MORE BREATHLESS (BRAZILIAN PRESSING)

THE COVER REMAINS THE SAME...

But inside there are a total of 15 cuts, 5 more than the German pressing LP, and 1 more than the CD release. :o Now that is an unusual advantage of an LP over a CD - more cuts, normally it's the other way around. :lol:

From the land the gave us Pele, stunning beach volleybelles and beauty queens, Joao Gilberto, Ana Caram and now, more songs on vinyl. All I can say is, VIVA BRAZIL!!! :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Romantic Accordion

Postby jadis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:30 pm

CHARLES MAGNANTE - ROMANTIC ACCORDION

It's not often that I stumble into an accordion record, nor hear the instrument itself. I only see it in old movies with the player and a monkey. Forgot the show or movie. :lol: But when it's made by Command Records, I would come to expect it rendered in the typical nature of the recordings - thick, rich and pure. And it's a beauty. Truly a unique and lovely sounding instrument.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby O.D. Yeo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Seems like an oxymoron to me . . . unless Edith Piaf is in there somewhere . .
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Roman Accordion

Postby jadis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:24 pm

ROMAN ACCORDION

This may be the more romantic album.

I'm a sucker for any album with this song:

Gotta 'hand' it to the guy. His 2 hands are full, one piercing downwards, and another stretching sidewards.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Oxnard Sessions - RR 37

Postby jadis » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:16 pm

MIKE GARSON - THE OXNARD SESSIONS VOLUME 1

Those who are collect RR LPs are in for some cool smooth jazz tunes. Mike Garson, who did a few albums with Professor Johnson in the past, teams up with bass, drums, electric guitars, sax and trumpet players for this 'easy lite jazz' album that doesn't need to be analyzed or studied. In short, hindi malalim or mabigat (heavy). :lol: My favorite cut here is Wind Beneath My Wings. Another excellent pure analogue recording from Prof. J and his crew at RR.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby usai » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Mike Garson :clap: one of my fave artists :)
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:43 pm

usai wrote:Mike Garson :clap: one of my fave artists :)

His Reflections album, piano and flute, is tops in my list when I just want to relax.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Italienische Violinmusik

Postby jadis » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:58 pm

MAY 'K' PA...

EDITION K - OPEN WINDOW - ITALIENISHCHE VIOLINMUSIK

Edition Open Window 'K' is a favorite recording label of mine, recorded and pressed in Germany, their works contain one of the purest and richest harmonic tones of original instruments I have ever heard in an LP. Here, a trio with violin, cello and harpsichord making sweet music from 17th century Italian composers.

And this one has a tag of 'preis der deutschen schallplattenkritik', an award given in Germany for achievement in recorded music. May 'K' talaga ito. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preis_der_ ... ttenkritik

jadis
Legend
Legend

Italienische Musik Fur Laute

Postby jadis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:45 am

LAUTE AND CLEAR... :lol:

ITALIENISCHE MUSIK FUR LAUTE

Another Edition Open Window K recording, this time featuring the the lute, or laute, organ and harpsichord. As usual, the purity and richness of the recorded instruments is exemplary.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Beverleys

Postby jadis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:49 am

FOR THE LOVE OF BEVERLEY... :inlove:

...We need 2 of her. In my books, the epitome of the loveliest face and the loveliest voice - Beverley Craven.

Promise me you'll wait for me 'cos I'll be saving all my love for you
And I will be home soon, promise me you'll wait for me
I need to know you feel the same way too
And I'll be home, I'll be home soon

I definitely promise... :inlove: :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Britten: Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:43 pm

BRITTEN: YOUNG PERSON'S GUIDE TO THE ORCHESTRA (NIMBUS PRESSING)

It was a good and bad thing that this Nimbus pressed Decca LP arrived prior to the Christmas holidays last year. Good because it was one of the best sounding classical records I have ever heard in recent times, and bad, because due to the avalanche of season spending, the oil well had gone dry and I have to resist from owning it. :D It was so good it almost raised my hair while listening, that coming from a new haircut. :D Awesome production, to the max. I shall be watching the nimbus clouds for things like these. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Randy Newman - Little Criminals

Postby jadis » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:29 pm

RANDY NEWMAN - LITTLE CRIMINALS (NIMBUS SUPERCUT EDITION)

While I have heard of Randy Newman's work long ago, mostly I remember him for the one song 'Short People', which was playing a lot on the airwaves in the late 70s. When the chance came to hear him on the UK Nimbus remastered edition, I was curious to find out how this album would sound like in the quality that I have come to know from these supercuts. The guy is a multi-talented musician/composer rolled into one, and in this album, he got the Eagles' members playing for him: Glen Frey, JD Souther, Joe Walsh, Timothy Schmit and Don Henley; plus an interesting drummer Jim Keltner who later on went to record a direct to disc solo drum album for Sheffield Lab. Recording is as good as it gets, open, dynamic and uncompressed. I have yet to be disappointed with these UK remasters. and I guess I never will.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:52 pm

Flamenco Ole

I remember and old discussion on which flamenco recording is better, this album or that by M&K. Up to now i still can't determine which one :)

Anyway, its been a while since my last post here your thread so better start the year with some "ole" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Voltraizer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:58 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Image

Flamenco Ole

I remember and old discussion on which flamenco recording is better, this album or that by M&K. Up to now i still can't determine which one :)

Anyway, its been a while since my last post here your thread so better start the year with some "ole" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

accdg to the late prof pic , jvc is better..
though the m&k is more expensive
:)

vs
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner