Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:37 pm

Sealed M&K jewels from my friend's collection: For Duke and Fatha!

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:38 pm

Linda Ronstadt - For Sentimental Reasons

In my book, this has got to be one of the best ordinary pressings I have heard. Recording is excellent and music is beautifully rendered. This is my favorite among the 3 album she did with Nelson Riddle, with the title song worth the price of the entire album. Great balance between bass, voice and the complete orchestra.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:20 pm

I like them all three basically of the music. Linda is a great singer and the songs are really great standards. The 2 of the 3 LPs I have are the first pressings of Asylum while the 'What's New' album is done at half speed by Mobile Fidelity.

For Sentimental Reasons - When You Wish Upon a Star, Bewithched, Bothered and Bewildered, You Go To My Head, But Not For Me, My Funny Valentine - I Get Along W/O You Very Well, Am I Blue, I Love You for Sentimental Reasons, Straighten Up & Fly Right, Little Girl Blue, 'Round Midnight
What's New - What's New, I've Got a Crush on You, Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry, Crazy He Calls Me, Someone to Watch Over Me, I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance W/ You, What'll I Do, Lover Man, Good-Bye
Lush Life - When I Fall In Love, Skylark, It Never Entered My Mind, Mean to Me, When Your Lover Has Gone, I'm a Fool to Want You, You Took Advantage of Me, Sophisticated Lady, Can't We Be Friends, My Old Flame, Falling In Love Again, Lush Life

Of all the songs in those albums, I particularly like would be 'Someone To Watch Over Me' 'for (my own) sentimental reasons' of someone special in my life.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:29 am

audiophileman2002,

Thanks for the pics. Now I get nostalgic. I also had the MF version of What's New Before, till I played it probably to death...ie, worn out. The collection of songs there are pretty fantastic, I wouldn't skip a song then, as they say, walang tapon. Also, these 3 album also come in a box set, like a collector's set, but not in MF version.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:40 am

Yes Jadis, that came in a box set. The reason I never got that was because I had the 'What's New' in MOFI. Otherwise, if I got the box set then would have been sealed up to now. As it is, I have so many still sealed ones just because I kept on buying and not remembering I had those. Some I really bought duplicates specially the audiophile pressings. Before, there was no computer so no LP list file.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:03 am

audiophileman2002,

just in case you want to unload some of your sealed jems, you know who to call. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:15 am

:) We'll see!!! The problem is my eldest and my son in law is watching out for those! They are even watching out for equipment hand me downs. My other daughter who performs in musicals being a soprano coloratura in the SF Bay Area is watching out for the operas and classical albums.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:29 am

Chet Atkins Picks on the Beatles

For fans of Chet Atkins and the Beatles, this album is a double treat. The guitar of Atkins is as usual very airy, with incredible decay and even at times played with melodramatic ease. The following writeup of George Harrison says it all:

Chet Atkins with his guitar.
Image[/b]
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby ichabod » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:36 am

Hey, it's nice to know you have a daughter who sings in that range. It would be nice to hear her sing "I Know My Redeemer Liveth." Got so inspired by that song from a local singer here, a make do of Liz Schwarzkoff (can't seem to spell that name right) on Angel Records of Handel's "Messiah." Does she have a recording?

You'd be delighted with spendors, or more accurately she would!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiophileman2002 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:28 pm

She performed in Mozart's 'Marriage of Figaro'. She was also featured in a SF major newspaper for her brilliant performance as Tup Tim in 'The King and I'. Don't give her more ideas about speakers. She already has my KEF 104aB.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:02 am

Well, that will soon be replaced by spendors or harbeths. I think you should make her judge a speakers' performance. She'll be a big help to dad.

I love broadway music too. Watched the "King and I" many times here at the CCP.

You have a musical gem in your family. Makes me wonder why you still need those speakers and gears ;-)
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiophileman2002 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:04 am

Here is another great Earl Klugh pressed by Nautilus Superdiscs on half speed which I missed out in a previous thread.
[/img]Image
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby esi » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:39 am

audiophileman2002 wrote:The sequel to the Earl Klugh 'Late Night Guitar' is his album 'Nightsongs' ...'More Late Night Guitar'.
[img][img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/audiophileman2002/DSC01221.jpg[/img][/img]

Hey Mr. Audiophile 2002,

I got this album late last year on vinyl exactly the same as posted. I particularly enjoyed how EARL literally played AIN'T MISBEHAVIN and SEE SEE RIDER in a jolly and bluesy rhythm respectively. I remembered the cassette I bought when I was still in HIGH SCHOOL, it got REALLY worn off from repeated playing time. :D
esi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:28 am

jadis wrote:Image

This is an incredibly rich and warm sounding LP, vocals with back up
vocals blending first voice and second voice, one would want to hear it
again and again. I have had 4 copies but sold 2 upon proddings from
2 friends. The label is Columbia, CS9302 and is recorded as "360 Sound".
I figure that means a 360 degree panoramic soundstage width which
one can attest to when listening. The vocalists are pasted flush right
smack into the speaker plane itself, unlike modern recordings which
would place the singers behind the speakers. But this is not bothersome as it is inherently imbued in this kind of a recording technique.
Another LP I have is this type is the Columbia 'The Barbra Streisand Album". And the hallmark of these two LPs is not really the soundstage
width but the fullness of the voices of the singers. Almost perfectly
full-bodied. And very smooth at that without harshness nor grit. The
best song here for most would be side 2 cut 1, "If I fell". At the middle
part, the second and third voices come in really in eerie fashion. Guitar
accompaniment here is also rich and thick, with euphonic qualities.
And if one if a Brothers Four fan, they have multitudes of LPs, it's just
a bit harder to find clean copies, they also sing favortites like, 500 miles,
Puff the Magic Dragon, Jamaica Farewell, Try to Remember, etc in other
albums. And the best would be to get their double album 'best' series.
A truly remarkable group of singers.

boy, what a treat. this LP is simply superb - vocals to die for, not to mention an unbelievably wide and huge soundstage. a gem.

am playing the stereo cs9302. i also got the mono version :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ichabod » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:30 am

I agree to the superb sound quality, but it appears like it's the nature of their voices, blending and all, that are a perfect match to the recording (voice to mics and all that recording equipment) I've heard since "Tom Dooley." It's just like saying Bing Crosby's baritone was perfect for tube radio.

I had an LP of them on folk music, and they were splendid on those little Wharfedale Diamonds, the first version using the NAD 3020.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:31 am

audiophileman2002,

I heard that Crazy for You pressing on Nautilus too from a friend. Excellent.

vintage_dog,

Being the long lost 'fifth brother', you deserve to have BOTH the stereo and mono version. :lol:

This one is one of those albums you can listen for a lifetime... :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:55 am

BEE GEES - SPIRITS HAVING FLOWN

Nice sounding LP for fans of the Bee Gees. I had the ordinary pressing of this long time ago and it sounded shrill and bright but this copy my friend brought over is quite smooth, laid back and musical, and no excessive sibilant like the Nautilus version of Air Supply's Lost in Love.
My favorite are all cuts of Side B specially Love You Inside Out and Reaching Out.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:40 am

Fully agree Jadis. Actually never tried it before, just now on just a few tracks.Image
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:45 pm

THE ASSOCIATION GREATEST HITS

The songs Cherish, Never My Love, and Windy are familiar songs but I never knew it was sung by this group till a friend brought over this album. Playing this Warner Brothers album really brought me back to my late grade school days, and I even remember that David Cassidy also recorded a version of Cherish. Wow, the sound here is smooooooooth. What an enjoyable album to those who grew up with these kind of songs.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:00 pm

Hi Jadis, that is a great LP. I played my copy maybe about a couple of months ago. That a '60s record. If you like music like those, check out The Buckinghams, Spiral Staircase, Ronny and the Daytonas, Mamas and the Papas, Hollies, Foundations, Lovin' Spoonfuls, We Five, etc. I usually play those LPs in my vintage sets.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner