Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby audiophileman2002 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:23 pm

Hey Jadis,
I was able to find my other copy of the Cascades 'Rhythm of the Rain' LP and it was pressed in Japan. Different cover design but don't know how to post it. I can take a digital photo and send to you and you take care of posting it, or give me detailed instructions on how to post pictures.
Cheers,
audiophileman2002

Image[/list]
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:01 am

hi audiophileman2002,

The easier way to attach the digital pic to my email address. I will take care of posting it.
thi@tri-isys.com
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby iceman90a » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:23 pm

i just dug up a local copy of this from my friend's garage :)

will clean and listen to it later :)
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:15 pm

audiophileman2002,

Your Japanese pressed copy resembles the local WEA re-issue of the 80s we have here.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:26 am

iceman90a,

happy listening...hope you enjoy it. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:23 am

This is a sonic tour de force as far as remastering of recorded music is concerned. A friend lent me this copy and we 'A-B'ed' the two and the difference is quite huge. As good as my ordinary copy was already, we never imagined how better things would be in the half speed version till we actually heard it. Immediately, we noticed the voice of Willie Nelson was more palpable, giving the listener a sense of more 'presence', as if the singer is now in the room with us. The highs became more extended too, without any thin-ness nor shriek, and the bass is deeper and has more weight. The balance of the highs, mids, and lows is simply perfect with the half speed version.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Records and Recordings

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:22 am

jadis wrote:

1. Sara K. ---Waterfalls ( Stockfisch Records)
This is a Direct Metal Master cut from the German Mr Gunther
Pauler. Inside the gatefold one will see the incredibly expensive
direct master cutting lathe with him proudly beside it. I admire
such dedication from people who obviously are not it in for mass
production profits. In all the years of collecting LPs, I have
developed such a soft spot in my heart for German record
engineering, like ATR Mastercut, lots of the Sheffield D2Ds
were pressed in W. Germany, and now this.
In one word, this album is awesome. Listening to the first
side of LP1 (there are 2 LPs ), like cuts 2 and 3, left me breathless
and speechless for a few minutes. My feeling was, such awesome
dynamics and clarity. And we are not even talking of a complete
band with vocalist. Featured is guitarist Chris Jones and the
songs are (for me) so much better than the ones she did for
Chesky. I don't know how to describe her music but it reminds
me of the Clapton Uplugged album and Sara K sings like
a torch singer. I never imagined I would enjoy this album so
much because I was not much of a fan of Sara at Chesky,
but truly, I loved this LP. The best of both worlds, great songs
and great recording.

http://sonatas.cc/lp/sarak.html

[/img]

Jadis,

Honestly, I'm not much of a fan of Sara K, but listening to this LP last night made me realize that given a good material, she can be mesmerizing. And like you said, this is one hell of a recording, galing, even bettered Chesky's "Raven" of Rebecca Pidgeon in terms of vocal clarity. A must have for Audiophiles and LP collectors :)

Track 1 of side A of the first LP can be a test of overall dymanics and soundstaging. When I listened to the recording it reminded me of Track 20 of the "A Tribute to Antonio Carlos Jobim" CD - Chega de Saudade by Elli Mederios.

Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:40 am

Jon,

I knew you would like this. It's hard not to. Very few LPs have this kind of sonics, power, and pure voice. Despite not knowing any piece of songs in this 2 LP set, I get to 'learn' the songs at each play. This thing should last a lifetime.....
Last edited by jadis on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:00 am

This is one great album for fans of Roberta Flack. Such a well recorded 'ordinary' album. I was taken by the sonics of this one, the balance, the voice of Flack is recorded in such a musically lush manner that I can't help but to play it over and over again. The title song is worth the entire price of the album, imo...and the following cut Jesse is superb too.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:25 am

Another super 'ordinary' pressing. Excellent recording and absolutely enjoyable for those who grew up with this great group.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jetm » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:48 am

jadis, can I contribute to your thread? This is about a CD that I got from you: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble. I listened to it once, automatically evaluated its recording quality (not good, I thought), and consigned it to the bottom of the shelf. How often do we succumb to this "bad habit"?

This morning I searched for something to start the day with, as background music, and discovered this disc. Man, was I wrong about it the first time I heard it! (Again, how often does this happen?)

In particular: the Debussy Sonate (sic) for flute, viola, and harp. On this piece, the viola on the left and the flute on the right flirted with each other, either in whispers or in full song. The harp in the middle took on a mysterious role - third party in a love triangle? part of a threesome? helpful common friend? passionate observer? - that fuels the passion of the "lovers" until they cannot bear it any longer...

Maybe it was hot and humid when I first listened, with aircon on full and the volume turned up, and I missed the action. It was cool this morning so I could listen in a dead quiet room. Maybe I was just more open-eared/open-minded (again, how often does this happen?). Whatever, here is chamber music that is as thrilling as room-pounding rock (which btw I also heartily indulge in).

So, is the recording quality on this disc good? I can no longer tell. Better yet, I no longer care.

Thanks!
jetm
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:05 am

jadis wrote:Image

This is one great album for fans of Roberta Flack. Such a well recorded 'ordinary' album. I was taken by the sonics of this one, the balance, the voice of Flack is recorded in such a musically lush manner that I can't help but to play it over and over again. The title song is worth the entire price of the album, imo...and the following cut Jesse is superb too.

Jadis,

After you told me 'bout Roberta Flack over coffee last week, I listened to this LP a few night ago and I agree, this is a good recording (I think this was chosen grammy song of the year during it's release). There's space between the back up singers and Ms. Flack, and the drums kicks are full bodied but not forcing.

Another good recording of Roberta Flack, IMO, is the LP "First Take". You can feel her emotions while she's singing "The First time I ever saw your face". The recording engineer did a great job of mellowing the mix of the instruments into her voice, emphasizing her emotions while singing the song.

Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:40 am

jetm wrote:jadis, can I contribute to your thread? This is about a CD that I got from you: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble. I listened to it once, automatically evaluated its recording quality (not good, I thought), and consigned it to the bottom of the shelf. How often do we succumb to this "bad habit"?

This morning I searched for something to start the day with, as background music, and discovered this disc. Man, was I wrong about it the first time I heard it! (Again, how often does this happen?)

In particular: the Debussy Sonate (sic) for flute, viola, and harp. On this piece, the viola on the left and the flute on the right flirted with each other, either in whispers or in full song. The harp in the middle took on a mysterious role - third party in a love triangle? part of a threesome? helpful common friend? passionate observer? - that fuels the passion of the "lovers" until they cannot bear it any longer...

Maybe it was hot and humid when I first listened, with aircon on full and the volume turned up, and I missed the action. It was cool this morning so I could listen in a dead quiet room. Maybe I was just more open-eared/open-minded (again, how often does this happen?). Whatever, here is chamber music that is as thrilling as room-pounding rock (which btw I also heartily indulge in).

So, is the recording quality on this disc good? I can no longer tell. Better yet, I no longer care.

Thanks!

hi jet. may i know the cd label? i forgot. as far as in concerned, i rarely get this phenomenon you just described. most of the times i immediately know on first listen if the recording is good or bad. maybe it's really the heat at that time. :) and by all means, do share anything as much as you can. and truly, chamber music soothes a lot of our senses, i was a chamber junkie once, i now collect only the best ones.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:45 am

Jadis,

Just to add, here are 2 LPs that I got from you, 'though underrated, are worth mentioning in your thread:

Apocalypse now sessions

When I got this LP from you I never expected that this can be comparable to its later and more famous recording "DAFOS". Talking 'bout soundstage and overall impact, this LP is definitely a good alternative to DAFOS

Beauty and the Beast

Listening to Wendy Carlos' LP didn't impress me the first time. I thought the sound of the moog synthesizers wasn't that appealing to me. It was only after I acquired the Project Debut III and did an intensive listening on the LP changed my thoughts on this. The sound is all over the listening field, similar to that of the Apocalypse Now Sessions. The "other" musical instruments are well placed and easily interact with the overall. I even thought I was listening to an acoustical stringed instrument in "Bali", but while reading though the liner notes it came upon me: She was only using moog synthesizers with overdubs. talking 'bout artistic talent.

When my wife heard this LP, she was reminded of the CD "Bandari Mist", which she uses to put my kids to sleep in the afternoon. She describes this LP as calm and relaxing.

Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:46 am

hi jon,

thnx for the recommending that album. i like that song and i shall look for one.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:53 am

Jon Agner wrote:Jadis,

Just to add, here are 2 LPs that I got from you, 'though underrated, are worth mentioning in your thread:

Apocalypse now sessions

When I got this LP from you I never expected that this can be comparable to its later and more famous recording "DAFOS". Talking 'bout soundstage and overall impact, this LP is definitely a good alternative to DAFOS

Beauty and the Beast

Listening to Wendy Carlos' LP didn't impress me the first time. I thought the sound of the moog synthesizers wasn't that appealing to me. It was only after I acquired the Project Debut III and did an intensive listening on the LP changed my thoughts on this. The sound is all over the listening field, similar to that of the Apocalypse Now Sessions. The "other" musical instruments are well placed and easily interact with the overall. I even thought I was listening to an acoustical stringed instrument in "Bali", but while reading though the liner notes it came upon me: She was only using moog synthesizers with overdubs. talking 'bout artistic talent.

When my wife heard this LP, she was reminded of the CD "Bandari Mist", which she uses to put my kids to sleep in the afternoon. She describes this LP as calm and relaxing.

Cheers.

glad you enjoyed them. apocalypse is a GREAT recording with regards to detail, soundstage and spacing of instruments. just like you said, comparable to dafos. indeed it is...and i got the wendy way back in the 80s bec of a review from TAS...it should be good...and glad you like the type of music.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:54 am

jadis wrote:hi jon,

thnx for the recommending that album. i like that song and i shall look for one.

Jadis

I can lend you my copy of the "First Take" if you want. I can drop it off Audio Den anytime.

Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:57 am

Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:hi jon,

Jadis

I can lend you my copy of the "First Take" if you want. I can drop it off Audio Den anytime.

Cheers.

thanks so much for the generous offer. but i believe i will find it pretty soon, so it's not necessary. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jetm » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:11 pm

jadis wrote:
hi jet. may i know the cd label?

It's from Chandos.
Cheers.
jetm
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:13 pm

jetm wrote:
jadis wrote:
hi jet. may i know the cd label?

It's from Chandos.
Cheers.

Ah...that's a good label. British, I think. I had a few Chandos CDs and LPs. I remember them to be good recordings.
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner