LINN-SANITY

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

LINN-SANITY

Postby jadis » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:15 pm

LINN-SANITY :lol:

We've heard about 'Lin-sanity' in the NBA last year, courtesy of the phenom named Jeremy Lin who now is with the Houston Rockets. This is NOT about him. :lol: Last night I was fortunate enough to be part of the demo/lecture of Linn founder and chairman Ivor Tiefenbrum hosted by the local importer Toyama. If there is a turntable that I longed to have, it is the Linn Sondek LP 12. It is known for its unique 'sound', and I have heard it a few times in the past producing beautiful music. It drives me insane when I think of why I never owned one. :lol: Hence, Linn-sanity lives in my mind. :lol:

Before anything else, while waiting at the lobby lounge of the Dusit Thani, I was drawn into sounds of sweet strings emanating from somewhere I had to send a tracer to locate it. At the lobby bar, these were what I saw, and heard:

I forgot the song they were playing. Such lovely instruments. :) And the girl on the right had nice 'lower octaves'. :lol:

Then on to the 2nd floor for the Ivor 'show':

Yes, the man, the living legend, just looking at the tarpaulin, was exciting. :)

The LP 12:

The MAN:

Many people regard him a genius, and it was not hard to see why. He talks with such authority on the subjects of music and audio and his works were all done because of his sheer love of music. His message was quite simple - The Music HAS to MOVE you.

I debated on whether I should bring my Linn LPs of Carol Kidd for signing. In the end, I thought I'd wait for Carol Kidd to arrive na lang. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: LINN-SANITY

Postby esi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Damn...I missed this once in a lifetime thing due to work work work! :(

Philip, is an LP-12 knocking on your door soon?
esi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Phil, if there's a venue or perhaps an after Hifi show event, Robert Wong mentioned that, being a LINN recording artist, they could invite Carol Kidd to do a show here in Manila :) not a big concert venue but rather a lounge :D In fact, he said that they could de the same with Claire Martin :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:40 pm

esi wrote:Damn...I missed this once in a lifetime thing due to work work work! :(

Philip, is an LP-12 knocking on your door soon?

Sayang Doc, it would have been nice to see you last night, daming mga analog-addicts. :lol:

Actually, I had been knocking on their door. :lol: Inquiring about some 'details'. Pero wala pang ako 'rack' for it. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Phil, if there's a venue or perhaps an after Hifi show event, Robert Wong mentioned that, being a LINN recording artist, they could invite Carol Kidd to do a show here in Manila :) not a big concert venue but rather a lounge :D In fact, he said that they could de the same with Claire Martin :)

Jon,

Bless Mr. Wong for that. :lol: :clap: And the lounge would be just perfect.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:12 am

Thanks, Philip. Would you know where the Toyoma display center is? How does a Linn 12 compare to a Lenco? What does the Linn 12 have that the Lenco doesn't? Hope you could enlighten the uninitiated in Linn. Thanks.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:32 am

sumnerbrowne wrote:Thanks, Philip. Would you know where the Toyoma display center is? How does a Linn 12 compare to a Lenco? What does the Linn 12 have that the Lenco doesn't? Hope you could enlighten the uninitiated in Linn. Thanks.

Hi Von,

Toyama's showroom is located on West Avenue, kinda near the Edsa part.

Linn Sondek is one of the first, and the few surviving turntables today that uses a suspension as part of its isolation philosophy. That is to isolate and minimize vibrations from the speakers and the room to reach the cartridge itself and add further noise to it. Later on, companies like Sota, VPI, Ariston would follow, although I have learned that AR also did the suspended TT around the time of Linn if not even before. In his time, Ivor mentioned that nobody believed that the TT has an effect on the sound of the stereo system, the focus that time was mainly on speakers and electronics. Ivor believed the source to be very important and what is lost in that primary chain will be lost forever - meaning the signal. I have not witnessed any A/B test with the Linn against the Lenco or the Garrard so I cannot make any meaningful comment. What I do know, and since I was fortunate to be schooled by the late Mang Dima, is that the TT should be 'covered' and isolated from external mechanical vibrations. I firmly believe this. And there were reports from the audio mags then about a TT maker ( I forgot which) banging his shoes on the TT cover while playing a record to demonstrate how well isolated his TT design is. Theoretically and practically, that is the way to go. I'm an old school guy so I have chosen the VPI HW 19 which is also a spring suspended TT, and the plinth is isolated from the subchassis and tonearm as well. With a dustcover as the final shield against external vibrations. It's just me, but somehow, it bothers me to listen to a ''naked' TT. I feel like it's a lame duck waiting to be shot. :lol: That may be psychological but then again, my basis rests on the mechanical principles I learned from my old gurus in the 80s. Of course, the other camp, with their direct drive or idler designs grinding through their platter have their own arguments for it, with heavy mass, speed stability and all; so in the end, it will be just like the tube/SS and digital analog debate - endless spinning, just like the ol' turntable. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Many thanks, Philip. Truly appreciate your enlightening and incisive replies to my questions. May mga bonus insights pa. Salamat. :-)
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:19 pm

sumnerbrowne wrote:Many thanks, Philip. Truly appreciate your enlightening and incisive replies to my questions. May mga bonus insights pa. Salamat. :-)

My pleasure, Von. Always glad to share. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby babydoc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Hi All,

just wondering if Toyama's has 60Hz motor. I have mine in 50Hz does I could not use it. :(

Regards,
babydoc
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:13 am

babydoc wrote:Hi All,

just wondering if Toyama's has 60Hz motor. I have mine in 50Hz does I could not use it. :(

Regards,

Hi babydoc,

I would believe you can order from Toyama, we are 60Hz here.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:40 am

Von, is this your future.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby sumnerbrowne » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:36 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:Von, is this your future.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pwede Nols. With your guidance and support...:-) :D
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:27 pm

And for those who wish to communicate with I.T., here is his card. Maybe a factory tour will help you make up your mind too the next time you're in Glasgow. 8)

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Dr. Sao Win was the guy who banged his shoe on his turntable while it was playing.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:31 pm

mullard88 wrote:Dr. Sao Win was the guy who banged his shoe on his turntable while it was playing.

Hi Mullard88,

Thanks for making me remember.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:57 am

You're most welcome Jadis.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Jadis' Corner