Ich Bin Ein der Freund aus Von Schweikert (VS Manila Visit)

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Ich Bin Ein der Freund aus Von Schweikert (VS Manila Visit)

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:33 am

Ich Bin Ein der Freund aus Von Schweikert :lol:

The last time I met an audio manufacturer was ages ago, I forgot the year exactly so I was very pleased and excited when the phone rang and got an invite from local VS distributor JackD for a 'despidida' send-off 'meet and greet' with the great loudspeaker designer Albert Von Schweikert and his son Damon who flew into town last week to install upgrade parts and tune the VR9s and the VR11. When I entered the subterranean lair I immediately spotted Albert in the main chair, listening intently while I snuck up to the back seat area:

Moving in for a 'side shot' of Albert, still immersed with the music:

After the cut, introductions were made, and Albert and Jack pointing to each other with Albert saying: "Listen to your main man over here." :lol: While Jack was pointing to Albert's watch: "Let's play some more music cuz we have little time left till you catch your flight tonight." :lol:

And the gang listened to more music: :lol:

This, of course, was what we were listening to, newly upgraded and updated VR9MKIIs, with bi-amped LAMM monos:

I am the only one here without a Von Schweikert speaker. Kailan ba next draw ng Lotto? :lol:

With Mullard88 and Doc Randy:

Chow time. The best part of the night (just kidding). :lol: Wonderful home cooked adobo and cheese and many others. I must have gone back 3 times. :$ Thanks to Mrs. JackD for the wonderful dishes, and of course to Cong Jack for hosting.

Albert still talking audio, the passion for the music is so great in this man:

After the chow, back to work as Albert and Damon use some test equipment to tune and size up the room with a spectrum analyzer. PASADO DAW ANG TUNING NI JACK! :rock: :rock: (Pare, are you sure hindi TONING and ginamit mo?) :D :D

The 2 old midrange drivers that were replaced. On the left side is a world famous Pinoy handicraft which is the VS boys send-off GIFT to Albert VS - PRICELESS. :D :D

AND THE MUSIC NEVER ENDS....

Attending events like these are always impressed in my mind forever. As audio hobbyists, it's something else to sit down and chat with audio gear designers and LEARN from their talents and experiences in the trade. The lessons learned are immeasurable. My thanks to Jack, Keith and the Emperor for making this happen. And to have the pleasure of the company of Mullard, Dafos, O.D. Yeo, and Doc Randy, the night was filled with fun and musical enjoyment.

I learned the initial reaction of Jack to the upgrades of the drivers, crossover and other vital parts was like hearing a new set of speakers. While that was hard to imagine on paper, after hearing the new VR9MKIIs myself, I strongly agree with that assessment. Incredible would be the word. The mastery of Albert at what he does is simply amazing. I can imagine his confidence in flying with his son 5000 miles over to install upgrades that were de facto prototypes as I learned they were the first to be done in any of these speakers in their lineup. Indeed the speakers sound like a new animal and I have exchange notes with dafos and we both agreed that the improvements were not subtle but in fact significant and substantial. First off was the tremendous sense of ease in reproducing complex and loud passage ala broadway plays. Parang LIVE talaga, and that is not exaggerating. Then we noticed the improved definition of the bass notes, specially in bow tones, and the drums, boy, the impact, the kick, the wallop, we had to crank up 'Pigs Eye Jass' to appreciate the superb sound of the drums. And the new 9s were SEAMLESS. There is no gap, no black hole, nothing. It's just cut in one piece. The crossover points simply disappeared. The vocals were lovely specially the females, I don't know if the male singers became lovely, :lol: but at least Johnny Mathis (the singer, not the owner of the house) :lol: was sounding very smooth and chest tones were all fleshed out. If he was, I wonder how Julie London's chest (tones) would have fared. Off the bat, I'd go for Julie pa rin. :lol: The K2 CD sampler was a revelation. The CD is getting very very near to the analog, thanks to the EERA player, which is by far the most musically satisfying CD player I have hear so far. There is dimension, body, detail and 3D separation of instruments. And as the recording goes, so does the music, if there is grit in the recording, it shows, if there is not, it won't. The system is like a chameleon. And to think that some small parts need some burn in. I can't imagine anymore. And I can't imagine how the Emperor's 11s will sound like after the upgrades as he told me he was so much impressed with the improvements. Hwag, hwag, Kuya...di ko na kaya....Kailan ang next session dyan sa Imperial Lair? I'm just a text away. :D :D

'Twas another great night, a great event to cherish as Albert and Damon flew home to California last night. Albert told me inside stories about his career path, how he worked at Infinity and JBL, how he designed the BAZOOKA for the car audio industry which was a great hit, how he revised the Eggleston Andra (which did not have a crossover) into the better Andra II, and how he designed another Eggleston speaker called the SAVOY which performed better than their flagship IVY. All these he did while at the same time building speakers for his own company. And how his works have had over 100 or more reviews in main and internet audio press. Albert loves music and loves to talk audio, in parting he even invited me, so graciously, to continue the friendship by emailing him. What a friend, so all I can say is, and I say it again, Ich Bin Ein Freund aus Von Schweikert. :rock: :rock: :clap: :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Ich Bin Ein der Freund aus Von Schweikert

Postby dimfer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:07 am

did you tell Albert that this is the "small" version?

nice article Phil, as usual... would love to listen to Jack's system again..
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:15 am

dimfer wrote:Image
did you tell Albert that this is the "small" version?

I'm sure jack and keith filled him in on that. those things are not my 'turf'. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:25 am

We so need a "Like" button on WS. :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby qguy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:35 am

your spending way too much time on that site :lol:

rtsyrtsy wrote:We so need a "Like" button on WS. :D
qguy
Master
Master

Re: Ich Bin Ein der Freund aus Von Schweikert (VS Manila Visit)

Postby superwup » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:35 pm

like { } dont like { }
superwup
Citizen
Citizen

Postby randybarba » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

It was indeed an incredible night as Phil stated. Though I hadn't heard the 9s in the new lair as this was my first time to visit, I was kinda familiar with jack's system in the old lair. And the sound of the upgraded 9s was just jaw-dropping life-like. A very big improvement from the original. What struck me most was the percussive power in each piano note as the keys were struck. Albert von schweikert really outdid himself this time. Congrats to Jack as well as to the Von Schweikert father and son team :clap: . It was indeed an honor meeting them and also very enthralling listening to Albert talk about his vast experience in the audio industry as well as discuss passionately his thoughts about speaker design. He really knows his stuff down to the molecular level. It was also a pleasure meeting the emperor, Jimmy, for the first time as well as Sammy (mullard 88) and also seeing familiar faces (Phil, Jerry and Billy). And the highlight of the session - Adobo flakes with kesong puti and tomato in pandesal by Mrs. JackD :rock: . Da best. Ginawa ko na syang hapunan sa dami ng nakain ko :lol:

BTW Jack, I'm really thinking hard about that ehem :x . Hope I'll be ready when the time comes :sweat:
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mullard88 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:07 pm

I concur with the improvements that Jadis and randybarba wrote above. This is truly impressive and amazing in the sense that we were hearing the speakers almost on an "out of the box" context. I believe there will be even more superlatives to marvel at as the speakers break-in.

Thank you Jack for inviting me. It was such a superb experience, soncally and gastronomically; and such a pleasure to meet old friends again and also to make the acquaintance of randybarba and O. D. Yeo and the Von Schweikerts.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby John Martin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:56 pm

Would have been an honor to meet the makers of the GREATEST speakers in the world! (IMHO) :)
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:06 pm

randybarba wrote:

BTW Jack, I'm really thinking hard about that ehem :x . Hope I'll be ready when the time comes :sweat:

Doc,

Rubitussin can solve that little ehem'. :lol: 5 SE na ba? ;)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:12 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:We so need a "Like" button on WS. :D

I'd need a "WANT" button. :lol: I think if I move, the District of San Juan is of first choice. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby O.D. Yeo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:41 pm

jadis wrote:Ich Bin Ein der Freund aus Von Schweikert :lol:

. . . the improvements were not subtle but in fact significant and substantial. First off was the tremendous sense of ease in reproducing complex and loud passage ala broadway plays. Parang LIVE talaga, and that is not exaggerating. Then we noticed the improved definition of the bass notes, specially in bow tones, and the drums, boy, the impact, the kick, the wallop . . . :rock: :rock: :clap: :clap:

I've always thought the objective of the exercise was to imitate life as accurately as possible. But listening to Jack's upgraded 9s left me with one lasting impression: this setup is Larger than Life! This is as good as it gets! (Of course this is from one who hasn't yet been to kuya Jim's!)

Too bad it came time to say good bye to old and new friends, particularly Albert and Damon VS, and on to the worst part of it all: going back to reality in one's own music room! . . . But I guess that's life. Some are simply larger than others!
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby randybarba » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:42 pm

jadis wrote:
randybarba wrote:

Doc,

Di kaya ng powers ko Phil :lol: . Kahit pa balde-baldeng robitussin laklakin ko :rofl:
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:52 pm

O.D. Yeo wrote: and on to the worst part of it all: going back to reality in one's own music room! . . .

I'd be on 'forced audio hibernation' for a couple of days. And when I come back to listen, I won't be playing Pigs Eye Jass LP for sure. Not on the list are Witches Brew on RCA too and those loud transient LPs of Broadway music. What there is left? Ah... Brothers Fours Sings Lennon McCarthy - pwede pa yan dito. :lol: :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:52 pm

randybarba wrote:
jadis wrote:
randybarba wrote:

Doc,

Di kaya ng powers ko Phil :lol: . Kahit pa balde-baldeng robitussin laklakin ko :rofl:

:D :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks for starting this thread Phil! Thanks to you Mullard, O.D. and Randy for sharing your impressions of both the machines and the men who built 'em. You guys ROCK!

Sorry for my not replying right away or for this being a short one. Jim, Keith and I pretty much put the day jobs on the back burner for the duration of Albert's and Damon's stay. Backlog has got us pretty tightly wound now. No listening tonight, that bad :D :D :D

The 9 Mk2 and 11Mk2 upgrades project is the result of various things learned in the last 4 years. The Triple layer technique from the Unifields, the passive servo-crossovers from the SRs and 5 Anniversaries, damping and propogation techniques from the VR-33/35 projects and three more I am not at liberty to divulge. In short these are improvements present in the current line that the 5 year old 9s (launched in 2006) and 7 year old 11s (launched in 2004) needed to catch up with their own siblings.

It was great to see you guys again. It's ben too long! I missed fellow Bozanians Dante and VD but duty called. Especially for Dante. :x :x :x :D :D :D

To O.D and Randy, the 35 and "Ehem" may not be able to do what Kuya Nines and Papa Elevens can do SPL wise but you will be surprised just how much of that experience you'll be able to get at a fraction of their prices. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: I was at a meeting with my Big Boss (Dad not wife, here title is Supreme Commander :P ) and he had his 5 Anniversaries playing. When he noticed I was distracted he scolded me, stood up and turned off his amp. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I packed the guy in the barrel in the crate of tools and testing equipment to be sent back to California today. I can't wait to hear about the reaction of the VSA employee who unpacks that crate!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This November, Keith and I will be going SMALL. Yup, REALLY SMALL. We're bringing the Unifield 1s this year, the tiniest VSA speaker in the line. Small in size but like their brothers, they have that natural tonality, precise imaging and large soundstage, the transparency that is the result of almost immeasurably low levels of distortion, and that chameleon like ability to be both lightning fast and smooth and harmonically rich depending on the recording.

Keith will be posting his pics soon enough I guess, when he catches up on his own back logs.

Albert and Damon said that they definitely will be back because they said the Philippines and Filipinos are THE BOMB. Thank you all for contributing to their wonderful experience on our shores. Albert likes the Philippines so much he said he wants to retire here. Mukhang Tagaytay ang tinatarget :) :) :) Looks liek we'll be seeing a lot more of Da Man!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby audiostar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 pm

Boy, i missed this one. The date coincided with a session at my place which was planned way ahead. Looks like you guys had fun. Thanks for the invite Jack :-)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby JackD201 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 pm

We'll have one again Bradder Val, yun lang nga you'll have to settle for me and Keith ;( Cute pa rin naman kami eh :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

John Martin, sa pagbabalik nila, PROMISE!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dante » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Just got back from a trip to Bora with the kids when "duty" called a couple of hours before the session at the Lair started! ;) Talk of bad timing that made me miss this special session, but I am thankful to Philip, Doc Randy, and Sammy for their excellent reviews. Reading them is almost like being there! :clap: Jack, I'm delivering your 300Bs + amps this weekend. I'm hoping to be able to listen to the upgraded babies then if you're home?
dante
cool dude

Postby jadis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:56 am

The pleasure is definitely mine, Jack. :)

Some further thoughts after the listening experience the other night. The 9MkII solidifies my belief that a certain type of loudspeakers (driver size specifically) should fit a certain room size. But before that, I'd like to put out my own belief as well that bass should ideally be handled by SS amplification if self-powered or a high powered tube amp that renders tight control of the bass. I remember you once asked me why I gave up on my B&W 800s which had 4 twelve inch woofers. My love for bass reached its heights with the B&W 801s to the 800s but during those times I did not want to give up my tube amps. The deeper issue was the inability, in my perception, of the Jadis 200 amps to control the bass of the 800s. Loose, tubby, and lack of clean power downstairs to fully satisfy my want for a true extended subterranean bass. And I did not want to go bi-amping then as I have seen and heard the complexities involved in true separate bi-amping, which means getting an active external crossover plus a high quality bass amp, which I would have preferred, a Krell. I have heard such a set up using Anondyne crossovers and Krell monoblocks. That was the benchmark in my mind for a true full range set up with my 800s. So I sold my 800s because I believed that my tube amp couldn't achieve the full range sound that I wanted, that's one of the main reasons.

Going into the speaker size and room proportions, listening to your new set up convinced me even more that a loudspeaker system that can produce sumptuous bass volumes at high levels would do best in a big sized room, by that I would estimate it to be between 60-70 square meters. The width and depth should be well laid out too, plus of course a high ceiling. Your room size seems to be perfect and tailor matched for a loudspeaker like the 9s. With the tremendous bass punch and power that is so evident now in the MKII version, it's really a good thing the your room size can absorb and then recreate the recording information that is in the source. The sound has to breathe and with ample space it definitely breathes and not sound nasal and congested, otherwise, there will be a sense of the speakers over-driving a smaller room. It's expansive and I believe that is what O.D. Yeo meant by larger-than-life. I remember telling him that one needs an amp that cannot gasp or peter out when loud transients and crescendos come in and one needs a speaker that will accept all the information and unleash what the amp is feeding it. I call that 'headroom'. Yours is an all-out system designed to handle virtually everything, from soft to the loudest. And I believe that is the raison d'etre for building and investing in such a system. To me, this kind of thing is still a dream, and I'm very happy that you have achieved what is to me is still a dream. It is truly a dream system, a total package including the well-designed room. I don't want to think for now how the Emperor's room will sound like. I'm all out of words - NOT "All Out of Love" by the way (from your favorite pop group). :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Jadis' Corner