The Subterranean Lair (THE DARK KNIGHT RISES)

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: The Subterranean Lair

Postby jadis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:28 am

dimfer wrote:awesome.. thanks for the update

awesome indeed, and my pleasure, ding. it's always nice to be able to listen to things at the cutting edge of human engineering. and it goes without saying to thank jack for the invite for this wonderful opportunity to hear the 'sound of silence'. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:42 am

that table must be awesome..

balang araw, when I grow up I want to be like Uncle Jack 8)

for now, hanggang DeckniTAS (aka L75) muna tayo :emo:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amandarae » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:16 am

Ayawan na! he,he,he...

Very nice Jack! Incredible set up. 8)
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:50 am

@Ding

That it is bro. That it is. I'm still in shock really.

@Abe

Thanks partner!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby yellowpaper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Wow. Incredible indeed. Congrats kinakapatid :clap:
yellowpaper
Citizen
Citizen

Location: Colorado, Washington, DC, Alaska, Oregon and counting

Postby JackD201 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Bro, salamat! Teka.......you migrated? When?!!!!!!!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby yellowpaper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:18 pm

JackD201 wrote:Bro, salamat! Teka.......you migrated? When?!!!!!!!

Still in town. I just like those recreational states ;)
yellowpaper
Citizen
Citizen

Location: Colorado, Washington, DC, Alaska, Oregon and counting

Postby JackD201 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Bwahahahahaha! LEGAL!!!!!!!!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby diesel » Wed May 01, 2013 10:57 pm

Congrats.. Mind blowing system.. :rock:
diesel
Citizen
Citizen

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:34 am

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
(THROUGH THE COLORS OF THE NIGHT)
:lol:

As we all know, Jack's room suffered a big setback at the onslaught last year's flooding. As they say, you can't keep a good man down, and you can't keep a good room down either. And yesterday, finally, we were experiencing the fruits of the patience, perseverance, dedication and hard work of our Bozanian leader (though not the emperor); :lol: ushering in this new era of the lair - which I can only call 'THE DARK KNIGHT RISES'. :lol:

We know Jack's fondness of systems without much color, in the much overused term - neutral. So we have here a room with an utter lack of coloration (Black and White): :lol:

The Dark Knight Rises:

TURN ON THE LIGHTS !!!!!!!!!!!

For the Atenista: :lol:

For the La Sallian: :lol:

For the Uste Glowling Tigers which has 'A Whiter Shade of Pale': :lol:

This, perhaps for the Assumptionista, but I'm not so sure. :D

We were one of the first people to hear the TechDas Coi phono cartridge: 8)

From afar, set into the deepest corner, is an image that intrigued me. It looked like some ancient temple artifact from an extinct cult:

Upon closer look, it is actually a 'John Holmes' tube (sorry for the younger generation of X-viewers but I don't know who has succeeded him these days as I don't watch these things anymore, yeah) set in front of 2 horns, or tusks, if you will, of some mammoth. This can easily be confused with a 'fertility altar' of the early civilizations of tube lovers. :lol:

This is not an upside down view of a Jade cart, :D but is actually the very striking bar for drinks and the like. There is a glass on a tray if you look closer. And the light changes into its corresponding color as the main listening area. 8)

View from the back:

And if one would wait a bit longer, this may turn into Maroon for the UPsilonians. :lol:

And finally, the all-important 'dimsum'. :lol: Puti talaga ang siopao, di na pwede pang kulayin. :D

'Twas another super session, of music, fun and laughter, as we were joined by fellow WS member hearhead and good friend dafos. When one is accustomed to a standard level of performance such as the lair's, time flies so swiftly and 4 hours feels like minutes. And the enjoyable experience is prolonged further as even when it's time to go and bid goodbye, it actually took 15 or 20 minutes more to actually board your car. :D There is intense examination of gears, cables, outlets, power conditioners, tweaks and general chit-chat from the time of farewell. :D So afternoons are really perfect as I haven't been in the dark streets of late and in the wee hours of the night. :D So thanks again, pareng Jack, and till the 9 becomes 11, hasta la vista, Pare! :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: The Subterranean Lair (THE DARK KNIGHT RISES)

Postby JackD201 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:34 am

Dimsum must be the 2nd biggest perk of living in the Greenhills area, next only to being near my parents' home of course! :D

Neutral is a big part of the process for me even if it really isn't my goal. Funny, I was talking to hearhead and I remember telling him that my approach like that of some others is a bit of a reversal of the process usually undertaken. Most, myself included in my earlier days, nip and tuck their way to audio bliss. Analytical speakers countered by sweet amps, etc, etc. It's the usual approach normally taken and one the concept of synergy revolves. These days however as components in general have improved so much regardless of price or brand, getting optimum performance from them has become more and more the responsibility of the owner. While a single piece might be good or even great, it's our responsibility to make sure they fit in the new system. I said this other approach is like being a race car engineer and building the fastest car you can and then tweak it so your race driver can actually drive it without killing himself. LOL! As basketball fans, we can also say facing the challenge of getting our players to share the ball AND play team defense. Cut and paste from WBF.....

"I was thinking about this Phil, I'm in my system monitoring phase Whenever I build a system up I always go for very neutral so it's easier to hear if there's something in the chain that might be misbehaving. If I contour too early, I might be putting band aids on problems instead of addressing root causes. At this point in time it seems everything is firing on all cylinders so I'll give it a few more weeks. When I get comfortable, I'll eventually start pulling out recordings that maybe aren't that great but I love anyway. That's when I start making the presentation just that little bit more forgiving. Not too much, just a bit :D"

I am getting into the comfort zone and like before, I hope to get to the point where with the minimum of fuss I can make on the fly adjustments from everything from MP3s to redbook to Hi-Rez to Vinyl and just as easily zero the system back to neutral in a few seconds. Baby steps! :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:56 am

JackD201 wrote:Dimsum must be the 2nd biggest perk of living in the Greenhills area, next only to being near my parents' home of course! :D

Neutral is a big part of the process for me even if it really isn't my goal. Funny, I was talking to hearhead and I remember telling him that my approach like that of some others is a bit of a reversal of the process usually undertaken. Most, myself included in my earlier days, nip and tuck their way to audio bliss. Analytical speakers countered by sweet amps, etc, etc. It's the usual approach normally taken and one the concept of synergy revolves. These days however as components in general have improved so much regardless of price or brand, getting optimum performance from them has become more and more the responsibility of the owner. While a single piece might be good or even great, it's our responsibility to make sure they fit in the new system. I said this other approach is like being a race car engineer and building the fastest car you can and then tweak it so your race driver can actually drive it without killing himself. LOL! As basketball fans, we can also say facing the challenge of getting our players to share the ball AND play team defense. Cut and paste from WBF.....

"I was thinking about this Phil, I'm in my system monitoring phase Whenever I build a system up I always go for very neutral so it's easier to hear if there's something in the chain that might be misbehaving. If I contour too early, I might be putting band aids on problems instead of addressing root causes. At this point in time it seems everything is firing on all cylinders so I'll give it a few more weeks. When I get comfortable, I'll eventually start pulling out recordings that maybe aren't that great but I love anyway. That's when I start making the presentation just that little bit more forgiving. Not too much, just a bit :D"

I am getting into the comfort zone and like before, I hope to get to the point where with the minimum of fuss I can make on the fly adjustments from everything from MP3s to redbook to Hi-Rez to Vinyl and just as easily zero the system back to neutral in a few seconds. Baby steps! :)

Your approach is very sound indeed Jack. But at this point I personally have developed a comfort zone filled not only with band aids, but also salonpas. :D Someday I might outgrow them or maybe not. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:58 am

Truth be told, it is not an approach I would recommend to people that do not have significant traces of OCD in their DNA :D :D :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dB10 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:58 am

Galing! ....if I may...syet sa galing! It's like looking into the sun and being overwhelmed by its beauty! :tmi: It's painful coz you don't have it yet warm to the heart without even being there, you feel happy just to look at it, congratulations my Bozanian overlord! :clap:
dB10
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Thans dB10 :D Kakataba naman ng puso!

I also forgot to mention that I need to be able to zero out to neutral quickly because about 3 times a year I do beta testing for three of the companies we carry. The Lair is part lounge, part decompression chamber, part lab. Hahahaha. Inilawan ko para hindi ako masiraan ng bait being underground sometimes for long stretches. Static lighting in a basement can make you feel very claustrophobic fairly quickly.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 pm

Awesome lair :rock:

You will surely lose track of time once inside :rock:
Gaucho
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dB10 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:50 pm

...I just call it the way I see it my dear overlord :inlove:

...I bet if you holler, there's tons of us who would love to turn every now and then into those decor horns just to witness beautiful songs from those babies, claustrophiac or not :lol: ...rock on :rock:
dB10
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:06 pm

It's Back! Beautiful music room!

Would love to experience and hear music from the synergy of the room to the components!

A session with the Sta. Rosa Boys would be nice 8)
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Congratulations, Michael John! Indeed the lair is BACK!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby JackD201 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks Jen, Thanks Joey!

Give me two week Joey and let's sut something up with the Sta. Rosa boys. I haven't seen you guys in a very long time. :)
JackD201
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner