The Subterranean Lair (THE DARK KNIGHT RISES)

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: The Subterranean Lair (THE DARK KNIGHT RISES)

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:59 pm

JackD201 wrote:Truth be told, it is not an approach I would recommend to people that do not have significant traces of OCD in their DNA :D :D :D

I can say I'm not OC. I try not to. :D

Many years ago, a good friend and very fanatical audio hobbyist gave me a verbal rubdown on why I don't constantly clean my RCA plugs of my ICs and the RCA jacks of my electronics. He then gifted me a pack of cotton buds that fit snugly the holes of the RCAs in my pre amp's jacks. Sakto sakto talaga. So I took his advise, stuck in some buds with a teeny bit of alcohol, and cleaned a few jacks till on the last one, when I pulled out the cotton bud, NAWALA ANG COTTON! NAIWAN SA LOOB NG Jadis line ko!!! %$^$&%*%^(^&($%$^%$^ !!!!!!!!!! Trying not to panic because I do not wish to call a technician for such a silly job of plucking out a piece of cotton in my RCA jack, I thought hard. AHA! Have to find the longest sewing needle in the house. Frantically asked my wife where she put the sewing kit. Startled, she though I was into sewing stitches for picture frames. No, no, no, it's for my preamp! She looked even more bewildered. I said just give it to me and I'll explain later. Have to whip out a darn heavy flashlight and start making sungkit the cotton. I see it but it was kinda way in but a little was visible. Finally, with much sweat and near tears, I was able to yank the darn %$%$^&%*^*(&(#$#%^ cotton out. Whew! Lesson: Do not be OC. And guess what, after all the cleaning, my overall sound became more clinical and more sterile than before. Tunog ospital! (With due deference to our friendly doctors here). :D So if OCS is not in your DNA, please don't attempt to put it in. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Bwahahahahaha! Dapat Pare pumunta ka sa Brunos tapos hiram ng pang ear cleaning na stick. :D :D :D

Oo mahirap nga! Some time back I was reading about contact cleaners. Eh wala naman akong alam dun so I got my wife's silverware cleaner, yung pang kutsara at tinidor. While wiping the first pair of RCAs I read the bottle. Do not use on gold plating. Patay! :D :D :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:47 pm

JackD201 wrote:Bwahahahahaha! Dapat Pare pumunta ka sa Brunos tapos hiram ng pang ear cleaning na stick. :D :D :D

Oo mahirap nga! Some time back I was reading about contact cleaners. Eh wala naman akong alam dun so I got my wife's silverware cleaner, yung pang kutsara at tinidor. While wiping the first pair of RCAs I read the bottle. Do not use on gold plating. Patay! :D :D :D

Hahaha. On gold plating, I got OC too with my Jadis gold plated faceplate and rubbed it with my favorite Armor All. Lalong LUMABO! :D :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Pare that cotton bud story reminds me of the time when I, along with two very respected dealers/set up guys, tried changing the 6922s of the Lamms. Being a US company, only an english hex could be used, lahat ng wrenches ko except for that one were Metric. I don't remember quite how it happened or who was using the little allen at the time :?: :?: :?: but the wrench fell inside the amp! Halos gumugulong kami sa tawa! In the end we were able to get the allen wrench out using my daughter's Power Puff Girls ruler and I believe some double sided tape. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Being some of my best audio buddies, their identities shall remain forever secret!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:18 pm

JackD201 wrote:Pare that cotton bud story reminds me of the time when I, along with two very respected dealers/set up guys, tried changing the 6922s of the Lamms. Being a US company, only an english hex could be used, lahat ng wrenches ko except for that one were Metric. I don't remember quite how it happened or who was using the little allen at the time :?: :?: :?: but the wrench fell inside the amp! Halos gumugulong kami sa tawa! In the end we were able to get the allen wrench out using my daughter's Power Puff Girls ruler and I believe some double sided tape. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Being some of my best audio buddies, their identities shall remain forever secret!

Hahaha...For fear of being known as the Power Puff Boys??? :D :D :D And pare, your story made me recall another 'freak' audio accident. In an audio session long long time ago in a friend's house, some very UZ guys (for uzizero) had a habit of kneeling on the floor to take a close look at the tube amps on the floor. One of them, a lot older than me, did not want to kneel (baka siguro takot siya na di na makatayo ulit) :D and so he would bend forward from a standing position and stoop low to look closer at the amp. When he did that, his parker pen on his polo pocket fell down !!!, and the owner was wincing already if the parker pen would clank on his tubes!!!! Buti na lang hindi. Relief! That would have been the first time to see a vacuum tube detonated as a bomb! Baka ma shrapnel pa ako. :D So the next few times when these UZ people would visit me, I had to check if they had parker pens on their polo shirt pockets. Pag mayron, bibigyan ko ng number, parang yun sa package counter ng malls. Surrender your $#$#^#$&*^*^^&# pens! :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Dark Pasts Returns ...... nice read .... made my day!
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:22 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Dark Pasts Returns ...... nice read .... made my day!

Thanks Joey. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Kung Parker yun hindi si Hein o si Spectral yun. Kung Cross, malamang sila nga! :D :D :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:50 pm

JackD201 wrote:Kung Parker yun hindi si Hein o si Spectral yun. Kung Cross, malamang sila nga! :D :D :D

Mga old Binondo folks sila. Mahilig sa Parker fountain pen. Ang masama pa sa fountain pen, pag sumabog sa impact, ink spill pa sa circuit board ng mga open tube amps and the liquid might short the capacitors. Tube Armageddon! :D Pag Cross, instant short ang circuit board. Gold is the best conductor daw. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:56 pm

THE COLORS OF THE KNIGHT :lol:

Visiting the Lair always takes on a new color, or coloration, if you will. I mean the room, literally. :D

Exhibit A:

Shade of Pink:

Shade of Blue:

"Neutral" Shade or No Shade. (Force-Flash kasi): :D

The Back Spine: (By the way, the monster amps are the CH Precision M1 Reference Mono Blocks, from Switzerland)

The Usual Suspects: (Techdas Air Force 1 table, EMT preamp and the CH Precision Digital gears)

According to the Dark Knight, the CH amps need a lot of hours of warming up. Just when I arrived, the music was set to The Gala Stradivarius Concert LP and the afternoon's music was set. Clear, vivid, and fast. And the amps have a front meter that show how many watts the amp was shelling out. I was seeing something like 0.3 watts so I thought my eyes were strained. :lol: Jack told me classical music isn't really a challenge to these amps, it's pop and folk, with James Taylor sucking up 700 watts peak power!! :tmi: :lol: And some drum whacks of Mercury's Fiesta in HiFi, we saw the meter hit 100 watts. I should have asked for Dafos (the LP, not the member). :lol:

After the fun with the meters, we put on some sweet music from Arne Domnerus' Evergreens album, with the sax sounding airy and with some bloom. The amps have warmed up indeed. On Mercury's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, the strings were all fleshed out you can count the strings floating in space. I felt the CH M1s are very revealing of the nuances of the recording, and never boring. Too bad we were lacking in it's partner preamp due to some bugs in a part of the circuit board which Jack said will bring out even more body or 'beef'. Pero tama lang ang laman ng Brothers Four, kasi siguro apat na sila. :D Another great listening, chatting and 'frozen' siomai session in the Lair. The Lair not only has color, it's got character to boot. As new equipment comes in, we are able to get a feel of its character; truly a great listening and learning experience. Bring on the 11s !!! :rock:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jazzmanoy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:09 pm

Some people can be so blessed......teka maka taya nga sa lotto! :lol:
Jazzmanoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:02 am

Ang landi haha
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby JackD201 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 am

Malandi nung teenager yung mayari, ngayon tander cats na :D :D :D

Phil were those shots taken with your phone? Ganda naman ng camera ng Samsung.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 am

JackD201 wrote:Malandi nung teenager yung mayari, ngayon tander cats na :D :D :D

The same thoughts echoed in my mind....And don't we wish we were single and HAVE a room like that? With disco lights and a bar? Forget the record cleaner room, the chicks won't be interested. Or maybe they would? :devil: :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:19 am

JackD201 wrote:
Phil were those shots taken with your phone? Ganda naman ng camera ng Samsung.

Not the Samsung, Jack. It's my stealthy pocket Nikon Coolpix. :) I like it, parang analog ang pics (warm) pero digital. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:01 am

Do the lights dance with the tune? :D :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:26 am

Jon Agner wrote:Do the lights dance with the tune? :D :D :D :D

I guess it will if there is a DJ. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:01 pm

The lights are DMX controlled so they can be programmed that way but No, patay sindi na dating nun no! :P :@
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Pero teka, mga DJ nga kami nina Keith so if I get this table that sulsultan Russ showed me..........

Pagiisipan ko! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:31 pm

JackD201 wrote:Pero teka, mga DJ nga kami nina Keith so if I get this table that sulsultan Russ showed me..........

No wonder I saw Keith (in the old Lair 'ata) with those smooth and cool dance moves once, and he didn't even move a foot out his his standing position. DJ pala! :rock:
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner