When You Wish Upon A(udio) Star

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby JackD201 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:40 pm

Wow Val, talk about a major transformation!

I'm sure the quasi-linesource configuration is working out great :) The positioning of the 15" drivers effectively negate floor and ceiling reflection problems. Great that Enteng is back in action. Aside from his many years of experience he makes for great company with his sense of humor. True, though he never invited me to his place (ehem!) the way he shoehorned his gigantic B&W 800s (the original 6 footer) into his room is legendary.

The beauty of your system is that it reflects your audio history. Clearly the application of years in the extremely challenging world of car audio applied to the home environment.

You know me, I'm Mr. Campless :lol: I've always liked active electronic crossover approaches for their efficiency and especially for the resulting lowered IM distortion. This makes for amps and tubes that will live much longer as well as sing in a manner that is that much more effortless. Your choice of amp/driver combinations is likewise reflective of the time and effort you put in to get this wonderful project off the ground and "Into the Wild Blue Yonder" and with the Vandy Twins down to as you put it "Ocean Deep". Active Crossovers are tough to get right with almost endless gain and slope setting combinations. Again a reflection of your great passion for music.

Now that LP collection. Hmmmmmm. I've been asking VD to add a drool emoticon for 4 years. Calling the boss man! Now would be a good time!

I'll be out this weekend but hope we can get together week after next. Ayan ha, formal invitation to the CONOSARO (Cosa Nostra Santa Rosa). I've never heard hot stampers before and since I don't have doubles wouldn't know if I had one if ever I did..... which I doubt. I hope you can bring some over and educate me :D

Hopefully soon after Keith and I can be invited down south for an exciting listening experience and a taste, better yet a belly full, of the famous Black Pasta!!!!!

Congratulations Val!!!

Jadis, mukhang may kaagaw na kami ni JA, Rony, KOK at Emperor ha! :lol: :lol: :lol: Baka ma-commando raid ito!!!!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dante » Mon May 05, 2008 1:52 pm

Val, if you have room for one more audio-starved guy, count me in for your next session! Your room transformation is impressive!
dante
cool dude

Postby dafos » Mon May 05, 2008 2:43 pm

same here!
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Mon May 05, 2008 3:12 pm

Atty. Dante and Atty. Dafos, are you joining on the 11th??
Superman
Master Showman

Postby tcris » Mon May 05, 2008 3:16 pm

Congrats Val and thank you for letting us experience your system. Ang alam ko lang na may similar set up ay sina Mang Johnny, Mang Tom, Mang Lin and Mang Bert, the Legends! You're in the company of the audio greats, of course much younger. he,he

Bi-amping and tri-amping is a very tricky set-up and its not simple as many people think. Making it so seamless is actually a work of art! Its the marriage of old and new technology i guess which made it even more fun! Altec and JBL's meets Cayin, PS Audio and Mackie (xover). I almost forgot may Vandersteens pa pala in static display. Hope to hear them in action with the rest of the gang next time.

How does it sound? Lets just say from the Platters to Nirvana, this system rocks 8)
tcris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Mon May 05, 2008 3:32 pm

Tim, so paano na yan, MANG VAL na ba ang tawag kay Vic Sotto? :D :D :D :D :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby tcris » Mon May 05, 2008 3:56 pm

Mas bata ata pag manong ang tawag? :lol: Thanks also to Mang Lin for tagging me along and to Jadis for the brief lecture on collectible LP's
tcris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon May 05, 2008 4:23 pm

randybarba wrote:Wow. Thanks for posting the pictures Phillip. Now I'm really excited to visit Val's place this weekend. :D

Anytime, Doc. Suffice to say, you will be 'wow'ed' by
the great sound and music of Val. Though the speaker are
relatively new and not fully broken-in yet, they produce
excellent music. Tip: Pa request mo ang John Klemmer D2D
Finesse and the Michael Jackson super stamper Off The Wall.
Fabulous. :shock: Si Carol Kidd na rin. She sounds just like
the Carol Kidd I knew...(lush and sultry in my room...not that I really know
her. :lol: )
Last edited by jadis on Mon May 05, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon May 05, 2008 4:30 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:
halls wrote:philip, after you've left..... we hard a hard time distinquishing which is the narrow and the wide range........

maybe i took home the wide range :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: many thanks val :D :D :D

Noly...You just impressed me even more. Can you vist me today? For some tips? :lol:

Jadis,

I think you have a new student :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That may be a sublime compliment, Jon.

BUT, I do not recall teaching anyone the art of 'snappy
reservation while in the process of falling
asleep' :shock: :lol: As he did just that while the
the fully not-sleepy Voltraizer was beside him. In
the process, next in line tuloy si Volt.

I believe I should be a student of HALLS in this regard. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Mon May 05, 2008 4:38 pm

Jadis,

If that were the case, then we both should be taught by Butanding on the art of multiple reservations and cornering the market :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon May 05, 2008 4:39 pm

JackD201 wrote:Jadis, mukhang may kaagaw na kami ni JA, Rony, KOK at Emperor ha! :lol: :lol: :lol: Baka ma-commando raid ito!!!!

Haha, not to worry, Jack. We will not have a black pizza
shortage in the manner of a rice shortage. :lol: I will start issuing BP rationing coupons. 'One for you, one for me...' :lol: In fact, it should be 'One for ME and THEN, one for you... :lol: :lol: There will be communal distribution even, according to genres. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon May 05, 2008 4:41 pm

tcris wrote:Mas bata ata pag manong ang tawag? :lol: Thanks also to Mang Lin for tagging me along and to Jadis for the brief lecture on collectible LP's

My pleasure in meeting you too, Tim. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon May 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Another 'group pic' that I missed posting earlier.

Hone in on the 'red bag' of a very relaxed Halls. :)
Last edited by jadis on Thu May 08, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby randybarba » Mon May 05, 2008 5:30 pm

jadis wrote:
randybarba wrote:Wow. Thanks for posting the pictures Phillip. Now I'm really excited to visit Val's place this weekend. :D

Anytime, Doc. Suffice to say, you will be 'wow'ed' by
the great sound and music of Val. Though the speaker are
relatively new and not fully broken-in yet, they produce
excellent music. Tip: Pa request mo ang John Klemmer D2D
Finesse and the Michael Jackson super stamper Off The Wall.
Fabulous. :shock: Si Carol Kidd na rin. She sounds just like
the Carol Kidd I knew...(lush and sultry in my room...not that I really know
her. :lol: )

Thanks for the tip, Phllip. :) I'll keep these titles in mind during this weekend's session :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Mon May 05, 2008 5:33 pm

"Trademark" sitting position of Halls, ear level ang tuhod niya :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Superman » Mon May 05, 2008 5:33 pm

jadis wrote:Another 'group pic' that I missed posting earlier.

Hone in on the 'red bag' of a very relaxed Halls. :)

Yung lalaking nakaputi sa gitna na nakashorts, YAN SI TCRIS! :D Bigtime yan sa SL! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby vincent mancini » Mon May 05, 2008 7:22 pm

Awesome Set-up, congrats Val! Parinig naman! :D
vincent mancini
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Mon May 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Hon Jack, Pareng Dante, Paul, skee6, accastil, Jen, Jon, dafos, halls, doc randy, Pareng Bot, Pareng Chito, Tim and Rod: Many thanks for your kind words. I would be more than glad to host a listening session for all of you guys depending on your own sched.

Yes, Jack is right. I made full use of my experience in car audio in this particular project. There are many times that Lin and I would quarell over this. He wanted an all passive xover to control the multi-driver system we were putting up, but I stood my ground and explained to him that we would never be in total control of the frequencies if we were to pursue his approach. I couldn't blame the guy, his training is in moblie audio where most of the speakers are linked via passive xovers and controlled by mixers. The good thing about Lin is he listens. We took out all passive xovers and wired all the drivers to the dBX drive rack 260.

Enteng on the other hand, wouldn't be convinced, even by my wife's pleadings to save the bay window in our den. He wanted full authority on how the room treatment should go and we gave it to him. The panels for the room treatment took Enteng only a few months to construct and by the end of Feb., everything was ready for installation. The speakers, by that time, were also at the house waiting to be put into use. To make the long story short, the team had delivered and I was left by my lonesome to link everything together.

The first order was making sure the wiring was laid out carefully - from the sources to the xover to the amps - so as not to produce hums and buzzes (another car audio trick). Second order was dividing the frequencies among the drivers. Am I glad to have the dBX 260 because it made my job a lot easier. The 15" JBLs were made to handle inf Hz to 800 Hz at the slope of 6 dB per octave, the Altec 290 horns at 780 Hz at 6dB per octave to 5kHz at 12 db per octave and the two tweeters wired in parrallel (16 Ohms impedance) at 490 Hz to inf.

Tweaking: how could I have done it without the help of my best buddy, John Alegre (JAA) who patiently listened at the sweet spot while I move the speakers around and vice versa.

The project is still has to be fine tuned, but my ears and John's tell us that we're on the right track to equal if not surpass the sonic qualities of Westlake's, despite all the drivers still to be broken in.

I built my system around my tranducers (speakers, TT and cart), the main reason for my choice of electronics. The new addition to the family are the PS audio Quintessence and APC uninterrupted power supply.

Funny, but music nirvana was not my main motivation to pursue this particular project, but my desire to build something out of scratch. The d' appolito array is not something that Westlake invented, so I can safely say that mine is not a copycat. My choice of drivers are also, IMHO, better than Westlake's.
Last edited by audiostar on Mon May 05, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Re: When You Wish Upon A(udio) Star

Postby audiostar » Mon May 05, 2008 8:29 pm

The gentleman on dark blue shirt seated behind Lin Gomez's left is Col. Ogie Ojeda of the PNP logistics command at Camp Crame.
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby jadis » Mon May 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Val,

Thanks for the detailed elaboration of your audio journey. I must say that your journey is unique and your passion for music is great. And I can easily that you are happy with what you have done in your quest for great home music. Keep up the good work. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner