When You Wish Upon A(udio) Star

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby Voltraizer » Wed May 07, 2008 10:41 am

jadis wrote:
halls wrote:Of course i will not forget the funny incident when mang robert asked to play an lp which he said would give the porkchop lp a run for its money. In my mind Alin kaya sa porkchop lps ang sinasabi nya... un mga live ones? kala ko audiophile disccussion eto. Finding out later that he was referring to Jazz at the Pawnshop :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes..that was hilarious...the whole story began when Val played the excellent album from Clarity Records by Mary Stallings called 'Fine and Mellow' on LP. Previously we played Jazz at the Pawnshop, the JVC half speed version. Robert, who seems to be NOT a fan of the 'pawnshop' album, was raving about the sonics of the Mary Stallings album while it was playing...then came the 'infamous line' that burst out like thunder in the air: " O, di ba mas maganda sa PORKCHOP ito (the Mary Stallings LP) ?" I then heard someone (most probably halls) muttered: "alin ang porkchop LP dito?" And someone clarified, "hindi porkchop, PAWN-SHOP!!!" :lol: :lol:

My only comment then was: 'One cannot compare apples and oranges, let alone porkchops and pawnshops! :lol: :lol:

PORKCHOP :D :D :D :D :D
ha ha ha
i remember that discussion between robert and phillip.
what about yun discusiion between lin and val whether to boost the bass or not sa dbx equalizer.....
:shock: :D :D :D :D
jadis wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:
halls wrote:philip, after you've left..... we hard a hard time distinquishing which is the narrow and the wide range........

maybe i took home the wide range :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: many thanks val :D :D :D

Noly...You just impressed me even more. Can you vist me today? For some tips? :lol:

Jadis,

I think you have a new student :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That may be a sublime compliment, Jon.

BUT, I do not recall teaching anyone the art of 'snappy
reservation while in the process of falling
asleep' :shock: :lol: As he did just that while the
the fully not-sleepy Voltraizer was beside him. In
the process, next in line tuloy si Volt.

I believe I should be a student of HALLS in this regard. :lol:

Estudyante na ko ni halls :D :D :D :D :D
Mr halls have masterd the art of snappy reservation.
i should have gotten that LP for two reasons but did not
One, he was sitted fronting the audiosetup while I was just in front of Val when the offer was made.
Two, he was half-asleep and his eyes closed when he made the verbal reservation to my surprise.
my gulay, i was two seconds late to react. "next in line na lang" tuloy.

Great setup you have there, mr audio star... the application of knowledge & experience in the field of car audio (setup) competition
to hifi home application did result in great-sounding sytem where equipment "disappear" not because of akyat-bahay gang :D but because what we are hearing is music .the fact that you need only several minutes of critical listening before turning off that analytical part w the attention being shifted to the music and recording is a success in itself.
the choice of quality software (vinyl)selected is also a factor ,this i say,with respect to the recording and val's good musical taste. Another factor also is Vicente lim’s room acoustics

again,who says horn or one in big boxy cabinet have poor imaging, layering and soundstaging? wait ti'l you hear val's system.
:D
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Wed May 07, 2008 10:50 am

Oh that. Lin is so accustomed to pro audio that he wanted to boost the bass a little more using artificial tweak. I would have none of that. The room treatment already took care of standing waves and there was no need to equalize. Further, it is against my audio principle to use equalizers in home audio :) As usual, Lin always listens :)
Last edited by audiostar on Wed May 07, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby Jon Agner » Wed May 07, 2008 10:52 am

audiostar wrote:Thanks for you iputs Noly Boy. Yup, well-planned. Because that it was how we were trained in mobile audio. Unforgivable to leave everything to chance, with the cost of audio equipment double than the price of the the car itself. In car audio, we must hurdle the first and the most important part the judges would look into: the technical. Is the polarity correct? can you hear hums and buzzes? Can you hear the singer's voice in the middle? Is soundtage deep so as to be projected in the hood?

It's only when all of these are settled when we they start judging based on the subjective: warmth, ambience, immediacy, rhythm and pace, etc. Failing in the technical means your're out of the competition.

My system is an experiment and still undergoing fine tuning. I still don't know whether it can still surpass its present state. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Val,

Yup, you have to finetune it.... to make sure that It'll sound great in the "sweet spot" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kidding aside, while I haven't heard your system, based on the write ups of those who have visited, it seems that indeed, yours would have the depth and tightness on the soundstage similar to that of Lin's. From the pictures, Lin seems to be enthusiastic (see his smile..... pero bakit malungkot si joel? ) of the outcome of the speakers + room integration :D. Remember how we tried to find the sweet spot in Lin's system... and when heard it... bang!!!! there's your image :D

Yes, the hobby itself is a continuous learning experience.. :D

I hope I can make it on Sunday :? my wife has been reminding me every night that sunday is "her" (mothers) day :( :( :(
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Voltraizer » Wed May 07, 2008 10:54 am

audiostar wrote:Oh that. Lin is so accustomed to mobile audio that he wanted to boost the bass a little more using artificial tweak. I would have none of that. The room treatment already took care of standing waves and there was no need to equalize. Further, it is againts my audio principle to use equalizers in home audio :) As usual, Lin always listens :)

sir audiostar, i do agree w you. we want a "natural" sounding system.
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 am

Voltraizer wrote: I believe I should be a student of HALLS in this regard. :lol:

i should have gotten that LP for two reasons but did not
One, he was sitted fronting the audiosetup while I was just in front of Val when the offer was made.
Two, he was half-asleep and his eyes closed when he made the verbal reservation to my surprise.
my gulay, i was two seconds late to react. "next in line na lang" tuloy.

:D[/quote]

King Louie,

dapat kayo ni Jadis ang magtuturo sa amin :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: While Halls may have developed the art of snappy reservations, ikaw pa rin ang Idol :twisted: :twisted: :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Voltraizer » Wed May 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
Voltraizer wrote: I believe I should be a student of HALLS in this regard. :lol:

dapat kayo ni Jadis ang magtuturo sa amin :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: While Halls may have developed the art of snappy reservations, ikaw pa rin ang Idol :twisted: :twisted: :D

@ Emperor BP, ito yun guru natin relax na relax ....yun mamang nakasalamin.....
:D :shock: 8)
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Sat May 10, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks Val for the session earlier. Here are some more photos...

Cheers!
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby audiostar » Sat May 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Wow arnie thanks. Super clear pix. Camera na rin aatupagin in the next few days :) Thanks too for your friendship. The gang had a ball. From audio, to photography, to politics, to conspiracy theories over bottles of light beer: talagang expert ang mga WS/BB members :)
audiostar

Postby merlin » Sat May 10, 2008 8:49 pm

ang husay ng tokina 8)
merlin
Legend
Legend

Postby arnoldc » Sat May 10, 2008 8:50 pm

Yes, it was great putting faces to the nick for some of the members. You know who you are naman, thanks everyone for everything including the kwento.

ps.

Yung pose ni MC, parang Boytoy... hawig pala sila :P
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby arnoldc » Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 pm

merlin wrote:ang husay ng tokina 8)

Bro, Tamron yan :) I used 11-18mm & 17-50mm
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Sat May 10, 2008 9:57 pm

Arn-Arn, great pics! :D

Si MC akala yata HEADPHONES yan! :D

Val, GREAT SET-UP! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby jopet » Sat May 10, 2008 10:14 pm

allan K,

thank you sa black pizza :D :D :D

oscar
jopet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Sat May 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Let's all thank Superman for his generosity. Ang daming pinamigay na BPs. Iba na talaga big time :D
audiostar

Postby Superman » Sat May 10, 2008 10:20 pm

jopet wrote:allan K,

oscar

No Problem, Mr. Obligacion! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby audiostar » Sat May 10, 2008 10:22 pm

More pix guys :)
audiostar

Postby Superman » Sat May 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Milette and Val,

Thanks so much for the hospitality and for the great food...It was a pleasure visiting you, your family and your very cozy home...Kudos to Milette for the Kare-Kare, Sumpia (tama ba?), Fish Fillet, Lechon and the unlimited booze...although I was looking forward to th Chicken Casserole, hehehe! :D

Fellow BB Creatures, Thanks for the great day of fun, laughter and good music...Looking forward to the next one! :D

See you all soon... :D

Nagmamahal,

Allan K :D

PS: Not a big-timer, just sharing the blessings to friends :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Superman » Sat May 10, 2008 10:23 pm

audiostar wrote:More pix guys :)

Will upload tomorrow...gotta go back to the NAIA, have to fetch Supergirl, arriving from Korea tonight...Cheers! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Jon Agner » Mon May 12, 2008 12:14 pm

Other pictures of Audiostar's system I've uploaded in his forum :D

Visitors last Saturday:

Thank you Val for the session last Saturday :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Mon May 12, 2008 12:21 pm

Superman wrote:
jopet wrote:allan K,

oscar

No Problem, Mr. Obligacion! :D

Allan K,

Maraming salamat sa iyong mga BP giveaways :D :D :D

si Mr. Obligacion, maoobliga na ring magpatugtog ng BP.... sayang naman si Roger williams :P :lol: :lol:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner