"HAIL TO THE EMPEROR!!!" - The VS VR-111 XS

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: "HAIL TO THE EMPEROR" - The VS VR-11's

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:11 am

dimfer wrote:excellent reporting Mr Jadis.. thank you.

wala akong masabi about sa setup ni Emperor... simply stunning.

my pleasure, ding. at first i was speechless, but afterwards, i felt that di ko na kaya, i can't be muzzled no more... :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:14 am

randybarba wrote:Thanks for sharing Phil. Awesome set-up indeed :rock: Must be really close to hearing a live performance :)

my pleasure once again in sharing, doc. it may sound like a cliché, but in truth, that was how i felt. music floats in space, effortlessly, and in a scale just like that of a live performance. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby joe3rp » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for sharing Philip, great review! :clap:
Definitely an awesome system...equipment, room and evolution! :rock:

Not to put you in a SPOT or back you in a corner...but can you say that this EXTREME SETUP to be the BEST sounding HI-FI system to YOUR ears?
As a bonus the availability of multi-"flavor" analog (6 arm/cartridge)front end which can act as the "personal tone control" to suite most listeners/music genre.
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:11 am

Don't worry Phil, you won't hurt my feelings because I will agree :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby redline_xp » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:32 am

WOW!. This is a super System Indeed. I just imagine that listening to Emperor's system is like you invited the the Philharmonic Orchestra to play in front.

Kailangan ba naka Coat & Tie Jadis? :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:
redline_xp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hyperion » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Some corrections lang ...

jadis wrote:Lets' start at the very beginning, a very good place to start...(with due apologies to Rodgers & Hammerstein) :lol:

With the aid of our VS top brass Comrade JD, I begin with a list of what's inside the imperial palace (and I'm not sure it they are even 'complete'):

VR-11 SEs up front biamped with VAC Signatures (mids, treble) and VTL Siegrieds (bass)
VR-9 SEs bringing up the rear biamped with Lamm M1.2 reference (mids and treble) and M2.2 (bass)
Sources are TW Black Knight and TW AC-3, Emmlabs CDSD, DAC 6, Switchman 3
Preamplification VTL 7.5 Series 3
Phono stages Tron 7, Lamm LP2, ARC Reference
Arms Grandeeza, Phantom, Triplanar VII, TW, Kuzma 4-point, Shroeder
Carts Koetsu Blue Lace, XV-1s, XV-1t, M.Y. Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent, Grandeeza, Allearts MC-1 and some others.
Cabling Kubala Sosna Elation (front and analog sources) and Emotion (rear and digital)
Power Cables Shunyata King Cobras and Anacondas, Taipan (Subwoofer PCs)
LFE JL Audio Gotham G213 twin 13.5" Uber subwoofer w/ 3800W
Vibration Isolation 12 levels of CMS Black Diamonds (not yet on website)

Room over 100 sq/m with 4m ceiling height custom designed and built by Tracks Acoustics. RT60 .40. Whisper quiet. We where playing around whispering to each other from 20 feet away. Custom AC ducting. 50kVA voltage regulation and 17 dedicated lines.

The analog 'combinations':

Triplanar U2 - Koetsu Blue Lace
Graham B-44 Phantom II - Dynavector DRT XV-1t
Kuzma 4 Point - Ortofon A90
TW Acustic - MY Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent BC
Schroeder - Jan Allearts MC 1
Da Vinci Grandezza Grand Reference - Grandezza Grand Reference MC
Hyperion

Postby O.D. Yeo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 pm

phil,
these pics are bordering on the obscene! :inlove: :envy: :clap:
maybe you subtitle the thread with a Warning: For Mature Audiences Only :D
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Hyperion wrote:Some corrections lang ...

jadis wrote:Lets' start at the very beginning, a very good place to start...(with due apologies to Rodgers & Hammerstein) :lol:

With the aid of our VS top brass Comrade JD, I begin with a list of what's inside the imperial palace (and I'm not sure it they are even 'complete'):

VR-11 SEs up front biamped with VAC Signatures (mids, treble) and VTL Siegrieds (bass)
VR-9 SEs bringing up the rear biamped with Lamm M1.2 reference (mids and treble) and M2.2 (bass)
Sources are TW Black Knight and TW AC-3, Emmlabs CDSD, DAC 6, Switchman 3
Preamplification VTL 7.5 Series 3
Phono stages Tron 7, Lamm LP2, ARC Reference
Arms Grandeeza, Phantom, Triplanar VII, TW, Kuzma 4-point, Shroeder
Carts Koetsu Blue Lace, XV-1s, XV-1t, M.Y. Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent, Grandeeza, Allearts MC-1 and some others.
Cabling Kubala Sosna Elation (front and analog sources) and Emotion (rear and digital)
Power Cables Shunyata King Cobras and Anacondas, Taipan (Subwoofer PCs)
LFE JL Audio Gotham G213 twin 13.5" Uber subwoofer w/ 3800W
Vibration Isolation 12 levels of CMS Black Diamonds (not yet on website)

Room over 100 sq/m with 4m ceiling height custom designed and built by Tracks Acoustics. RT60 .40. Whisper quiet. We where playing around whispering to each other from 20 feet away. Custom AC ducting. 50kVA voltage regulation and 17 dedicated lines.

The analog 'combinations':

Triplanar U2 - Koetsu Blue Lace
Graham B-44 Phantom II - Dynavector DRT XV-1t
Kuzma 4 Point - Ortofon A90
TW Acustic - MY Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent BC
Schroeder - Jan Allearts MC 1
Da Vinci Grandezza Grand Reference - Grandezza Grand Reference MC

May dagdag pa

Miyabi Cart, EMT and Allnic Phonostages. May Orpheus pa na parating :)

Hansen, Maganda ang Series III partner.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 pm

JackD, saan ba si Emperor? :?: Malayo ba? :?: Traffic ba? :?: Kung hindi camera trick ni Jadis, at talagang ganyan ang front end niya, baka kaya tiisin ni MSM bumyahe! :devil: :devil:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:42 pm

....... oh JackD, dapat may Matsusaka! :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:37 pm

joe3rp wrote:Thanks for sharing Philip, great review! :clap:
Definitely an awesome system...equipment, room and evolution! :rock:

Not to put you in a SPOT or back you in a corner...but can you say that this EXTREME SETUP to be the BEST sounding HI-FI system to YOUR ears?
As a bonus the availability of multi-"flavor" analog (6 arm/cartridge)front end which can act as the "personal tone control" to suite most listeners/music genre.

hi joey,

thanks for your comments and reading too.

funny thing but when i left the house this morning, i had a inkling that someone is going to pop me that question which you just did :lol: - "Not to put you in a SPOT or back you in a corner...but can you say that this EXTREME SETUP to be the BEST sounding HI-FI system to YOUR ears?" and reason is, i was asking MYSELF that question at around noon time. you see, while i was with my family the whole day, where ever and whenever there is an opportunity, a piece of my mind seemed to always insert the audio episode that was yesterday afternoon. i knew i was in trouble (pleasurable though) when i enter the Emperor's place, i said that half jokingly in the subterranean lair thread, but little did i know it pre-occupies me even when i do no wish to. :D :D

hokayyyyyy...do i really have to answer the question??????? even with comrade JD's pronouncement? :D :D

honestly, i had answered the question that i had asked myself this noon already. i answered myself, YES. the emperor's set-up is the best sounding (to me) in all my audio history, and i am not kidding when i say i remember them all great or extreme systems i had laid eyes and ears on. i entered the sub lair and emperor's place trying very hard to remove the last vestige of bias i could ever had - that of both having Koetsu's in their systems. let me qualify by saying right now, off hand, that i was not amazed by JD's system BECAUSE i was listening to a koetsu. it is quite evident in my report then, as mostly, i was impressed with what the room change did to his sound. going into the emperor's place, again there was a blue lace koetsu, but it only played a single piece which was mathis' heavenly. 95% of the session was done with another cart which i am bowled over with, and that was the da vinci cart. so this bias is out of the way as well.

other super systems i have heard excelled in one or 2 or even 3 audio parameters. some in bass punch, one in bass depth, another is upper bass dynamic sock, another in midrange liquidity, and other in detail/high frequency response. i was pondering on systems which had the MOST or ALL positive qualities that I LOOK FOR in a system. and i repeat, i am talking only of parameters that i set FOR MYSELF and no one else. obviously, each audio hobbyist has his own set of lookouts. that said, the closest i have encountered which had wow'ed me no end, with my own self-set standard of top to bottom and TOTAL musicality was the SEQUERRA SIGNATURE speakers i heard at the 1st HK high end show in the early 90s. that system did not stand out in one, two or three areas. the sum was greater than its parts, so to speak. the grand apogee would have beaten it in large scale and even dynamics, the IRS 2 in midrage lucidity, the eggleston ivy with its very relaxed and large sound, the B&W 800s with its incredible dynamic range, the Gen 1 with its deep plowing subterranean bass, the wilson alex 1 with its transparency and upper bass whop, and maybe some other system that i may have neglected to mention, BUT in an overall musicality that conveys its message to my ears, none of them had come close to the 'live' musical event that was the sequerra signature/rockport sirius 2 system in HK. it was the hot audio darling then, and proof was that at least 3 pairs were brought in to this islands during that time.

and my answer to your question and mine, joey, is that the VS VR11 setup has eclipsed the sequerra signature system as de facto the best sound that i have ever heard. and thank you comrade jack for agreeing with me in advance. :D :D :D the classical piece (symphony) was the lithmus test if you will. mind you, i was not thinking of this question AT ALL yesterday when i listened. i was there to enjoy myself and not to rate anything, after all, i am not a reviewer by any standard. when the music played, it reminded me of those live classical performance i attended at the CCP, the instruments floats, and there was no need to look for them, nor to think about 'focus', 'image' or whatever. i just heard them and they just hit me. it was as simple as that. and the last audio system that made me feel that way was with the sequerra signature. why i now regard the 11's as eclipsing that system is that in terms of ease of presentation, the effortlessness that the music came out without grit nor grain, the 11s has set a new standards as far as my audio experiences are concerned. i cannot pinpoint anymore any specific component in the chain that accounted for this sublime result, so i just have to see it as a TOTAL SYSTEM, one that is anchored of the VR11, after all, it is the most expensive single component in the audio chain of the emperor. and most certainly, the room acoustics is a MAJOR MAJOR factor (i can't believe i said major twice, but i like venus), :D i am sure of that because of what i experience at the sub lair last week. and finally, i attribute the resulting sublimal sound i experienced yesterday to the incredible passion and dedication of the owner, who for months and years had told me of those bi-amp matching plans, the impedance curves, and all those technical concerns which i myself am not so technically adept at, with the full intention and determination to realize what he set out to do, and after hearing it, i am convinced that he has achieved his goal. and true enough, he told me, he listens to his system for around 7 hours on a free day. on that fact alone, he had beaten my own listening record of 6 hours which i did when i just got married (to my wife, not my B&W 801s). :D :D

well, i hope i had answered the question well and thanks for reading. pinapawisan na ako... :D :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:39 pm

redline_xp wrote:WOW!. This is a super System Indeed. I just imagine that listening to Emperor's system is like you invited the the Philharmonic Orchestra to play in front.

Kailangan ba naka Coat & Tie Jadis? :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

ryan, as i mentioned, it is. :)

di naman, ang talagang kailangan, 'thermal jacket'. and lamig sa loob!. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:41 pm

O.D. Yeo wrote:phil,
these pics are bordering on the obscene! :inlove: :envy: :clap:
maybe you subtitle the thread with a Warning: For Mature Audiences Only :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i think there are more pics to post, but it would look like 'mortal kombat'. sobrang extreme na talaga. :lol: :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:42 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:JackD, saan ba si Emperor? :?: Malayo ba? :?: Traffic ba? :?: Kung hindi camera trick ni Jadis, at talagang ganyan ang front end niya, baka kaya tiisin ni MSM bumyahe! :devil: :devil:

malapit lang sa yo yan, msm. isang c-5 lang, boom, andyan kana. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby joe3rp » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:04 pm

jadis wrote:
funny thing but when i left the house this morning, i had a inkling that someone is going to pop me that question which you just did
honestly, i had answered the question that i had asked myself this noon already. i answered myself, YES. the emperor's set-up is the best sounding (to me) in all my audio history, well, i hope i had answered the question well and thanks for reading. pinapawisan na ako... :D :D :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the honest reply, only a few will have a chance to listen to this well planned super system...Only a few can actually answer with your authority/experience...Bravo JADIS :clap: :clap: :clap:

To the EMPEROR.....we are not worthy :rock: :rock: :rock:
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:13 pm

And just a short P.S. to the above reply to joey. I'd like to add that by first visiting the subterranean lair of Jack last week sort of prepared me for a session at the Emperor's place. It is because both are 'brothers' (I mean the system, though it can be applied too to their genealogy as well) :lol: and both systems in retrospect sound like they are cut from one cloth, with both loudspeakers coming from the same manufacturer, and room acoustics designed by the same person and company. Basically the 11s are double stacked 9s, and obviously, the larger sound will belong to the 11s. Emperor's room is bigger and taller than Jack's and therefore, the size difference will come out as well. With only the electronics being the variable, and of course the host of source transducers, I can very well conclude that the VR9 system is, by a large, a 'baby brother' to the VR11 system. The VR9 setup can very well be called 'extreme' but with the VR11 system beside it, the 11s become the 'most extreme'. :) To me, there are more similarities than there are differences. It's like visiting Taiwan first before visiting China. (Assuming that Taiwan's size is half as big as China) :lol: They have the same culture anyway. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:14 pm

joe3rp wrote:
jadis wrote:
funny thing but when i left the house this morning, i had a inkling that someone is going to pop me that question which you just did
honestly, i had answered the question that i had asked myself this noon already. i answered myself, YES. the emperor's set-up is the best sounding (to me) in all my audio history, well, i hope i had answered the question well and thanks for reading. pinapawisan na ako... :D :D :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the honest reply, only a few will have a chance to listen to this well planned super system...Only a few can actually answer with your authority/experience...Bravo JADIS :clap: :clap: :clap:

To the EMPEROR.....we are not worthy :rock: :rock: :rock:

My pleasure as always, Joey. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:25 pm

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:27 pm

and to me, your reporting is also extreme - extremely eloquent. I want to be like Jadis when I grow up 8)
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:38 pm

dimfer wrote:and to me, your reporting is also extreme - extremely eloquent. I want to be like Jadis when I grow up 8)

you're so kind, ding. :$ :$ :$

i am fortunate enough to listen to great systems of good friends, and am gratified at sharing my experiences. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner