A Bozanian Analog Crown Colony

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

A Bozanian Analog Crown Colony

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:19 am

Another pleasant experience to get to know yet another music lover in the confines of my city ( I really cherish proximity in these days of never ending gas-price increase and traffic :) ), and he has repeatedly told me that he is first and foremost a music lover more than anything else. Putting his audio gears second would be an enviable task for me even. :) He regards his set-up as one that has good value for the money.

To start with, he has 4 pieces of amplifier blocks that I once held so close to my audio life - the Jadis JA 200 monos. Si kumpare pa ang original owner nito. :) Nostalgia.... Then, the all too familiar Magnepan planars - another beloved sight. This one is the MG 1.6. Line stage is from Rogue Audio, phono stage from Musical Surroundings, the Super Nova that can accept 3 turntables, and that is exactly what our man here possess - THREE turntables. The Kuzma Reference table with the Reference Stogi tonearm, fitted with the Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge. Next is the VPI TNT II with another Kuzma Ref arm, with the Koetsu Black Cartridge. And the third table is the Immedia table with a Morch tonearm, presently without a cartridge yet. This is what we call for future development. :) There is also a Roksan CD player. Cables by Cardas, and oh, beside, or even amidst the roomtunes are some more 'interesting' stuffs. We shall see....

The Kuzma Reference table and Arm, with the Rosewood Signature:

The VPI TNT II, Kuzma Arm and the Koetsu Black:

The Immedia table with the Morch arm: (below the TNT)

The Rogue Audio line stage and the Roksan CD player:

The Musical Surroundings Super Nova Phono Stage:

All in the (front end) Family:

The Back-end: Jadis JA 200 monos and Maggie MG 1.6

Amongst the roomtunes: The Soundlab Quantum hybrid speakers

The black colored panels are the Soundlabs electrostat hybrids.

The Full View:

The Music Rack:

The thousands of LPs of our music lover.

Last edited by jadis on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dante » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 am

Very nice room and setup, Jadis. Could you describe how the LP drawers work? Does he pull out the drawer to retrieve records or do those half doors drop down to open? I'm trying to design storage for my LPs and can't decide the most aesthetic look with ergonomic practicality. Thanks!
dante
cool dude

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:05 am

dante wrote:Very nice room and setup, Jadis. Could you describe how the LP drawers work? Does he pull out the drawer to retrieve records or do those half doors drop down to open? I'm trying to design storage for my LPs and can't decide the most aesthetic look with ergonomic practicality. Thanks!

Dante,

The drawers pull out. So underneath are roller tracks, I imagine. That would be the better design so you can reach in to the deepest part of each rack.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:10 am

Those are indeed nice racks 8) :) Baka pumasa na 'yan sa misis ko :roll: :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dafos » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:27 am

Great setup! What are those round black things on top of the jadis trannies and the feet of the maggies?
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:12 pm

dafos wrote:Great setup! What are those round black things on top of the jadis trannies and the feet of the maggies?

dafos,

i believe those are 'vibration dampers'. whether it's generic, diy, or branded, i wouldn't know.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:18 pm

WOWOWOWOW! :D :D :D

i like the LP rack...siguradong pasado ito kay supergirl :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby pican » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:35 pm

Very nice set up, Jun. I hope to land in your place soon for a listening session.

Pic
pican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ttommy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:46 am

Excellent setup... pero, jadis, di ba bad feng shui ang may imbalance na ganito--

kailangan pa yata ng isang table sa kanan! :lol:

Just teasing of course :P I really admire this setup, how it's put together, the affinity for Koetsu, Kuzma, Jadis and dipole/planars (not to mention the ultra-cool LP rack).

I'm also very curious with that MS Super Nova Phono, that's battery powered, 'di ba? Would you care to tell us more about its sound? Thanks!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:42 pm

ttommy wrote:Excellent setup... pero, jadis, di ba bad feng shui ang may imbalance na ganito--

kailangan pa yata ng isang table sa kanan! :lol:

Just teasing of course :P I really admire this setup, how it's put together, the affinity for Koetsu, Kuzma, Jadis and dipole/planars (not to mention the ultra-cool LP rack).

I'm also very curious with that MS Super Nova Phono, that's battery powered, 'di ba? Would you care to tell us more about its sound? Thanks!

Hehe, ttommy. I for one have been discovering the merits of proper feng shui. :) Truth is, our man still owns a fourth :shock: turntable, the German made Acoustic Signature, which he has consigned for sale and was not at his room at the time of the photo session. :)

As it is, I could not isolate the sound of the Super Nova Phono stage as I came in listening to a 'total packaged' sound. Yes, it is battery operated, kinda like the ones used by laptops, you have a choice of recharging it, or directly using the AC, I was told.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:15 pm

Tto,

Regarding the Super Nova, I've had a chance to listen to Audio Den's featured system a couple of times with this phonostage forming the front end. the sound is definitely cleaner and a had a lower noise floor (resulting to a deeper soundstage) with the battery powering it rather than using the wallwart. I guess this is the result of the circuit being fed with pure DC power, not filtered DC power.

I recall Mozilla DIY'ed a battery-power DAC before and the sound - more specifically it's sonic qualities - I heard from that DAC is almost similar to the sonic qualities I also heard from the battery-powered Super Nova.

As a side note, I was told that the MS Super Nova and the MS Phonomena use similar circuit topologies :roll: , difference is that the Super nova can handle three inputs (switchable) and has a remote controlled volume control.

Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby ttommy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Thanks, Jon, sorry for the slight OT, if it's circuit-related to the Phonomena then I can vaguely imagine its sound. The knock on battery-powered phonostages, the Sutherland's a good example, is that dynamics are hindered daw. Although when I had the Trigon Advance I didn't feel it at all and it had me looking into other battery phonos to try. The Super Nova seems to be getting good press and the fact it can handle multiple carts is a plus.

And for Mr Music Lover's pairing this particular phono with the superb front end tables and carts he's assembled, that's a huge endorsement! Congrats to their owner, hope to get a chance to hear this phono some day.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:53 am

jadis,

This music lover is a true audiophile. He listens to both digital and analogue. He has lots of software and hardware. Does he also have cone speakers in storage somewhere?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:34 am

mullard88 wrote:jadis,

This music lover is a true audiophile. He listens to both digital and analogue. He has lots of software and hardware. Does he also have cone speakers in storage somewhere?

mullard88,

i believe he has a pair of sonus fabers but they are consigned to somebody for sale.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:38 pm

Update on the 'Bozanian Barrister's' System:

Von Schweikert VR 4SR MK1:

BAT Mono 140s

New acquisition - Garrard 301 with SME 312 and Benz LP:

The whole 'phalanx' of front end goodies:

Mga TTs na 'Yagit' aka 'Hindi Nakakabit':

Single File formation of the Yagits: :lol:

Acoustic Signature at the bottom, Oracle Delphi in the Middle, and The Kuzma Reference at the end.

Also notice the mahiwagang baul nearby and the 'LPs sa sahig' reclining themselves on the magic box. :lol: And, there is no truth to the rumour that these 'yagit turntables' are for rent or lease. :lol: May isang for sale, yata. 8)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby accastil » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:47 pm

:shock: ....im speechless about the collection of TTs here.
accastil
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:54 pm

Jun, kelan ka ba magpapa session ulit? :wink:
dante
cool dude

Postby crisdlr » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:07 pm

anytime you want. Lets get Val, Joel, Randy, Joey, JackD and his cousin Keith, you and anyone else who wants to come over.
crisdlr
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:14 pm

crisdlr wrote:anytime you want. Lets get Val, Joel, Randy, Joey, JackD and his cousin Keith, you and anyone else who wants to come over.

Puede ba natin isama yung mga babes ni Killer na banned na sa WS? :lol:
dante
cool dude

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:36 am

ako sama din please :D .... lalo na pagdyan na un mga nakakahon :shock:
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Next

Return to Jadis' Corner