An Afternoon of Audi(o)tioning in HK- VR-9's and Magico

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

An Afternoon of Audi(o)tioning in HK- VR-9's and Magico

Postby jadis » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:18 pm

It's been quite a long time since I last had a prolonged listening session in Hongkong. This time I had a little moment to spare and I visited The Sound Chamber which I had frequented since the 80s. The owner Ken Chan was gracious enough to let me listen to two systems. In the big room, there was the Von Schweikert VR 9's in a high tech silver metalic finish, driven by Balabo electronics from Japan. The amp, someone whispered to me, is tagged at $75,000. :shock: Isa lang naman ang kailangan, buti na lang. :) Source was an ARC CD 7. Room was huge, like 22-25' wide and around 30' long. The VR9s were away from the side walls and easily 6ft. from the back wall. Toe in was a sharp 45 degrees. I requested for a classical piece and Ken gladly obliged. In truth, I listened only to this piece for about 20 minutes and the music was immediately impressive. The general sound is wide, deep, and open. With ample height stretching slightly above the speakers' top. The highs are super smooth and refined, without a trace of courseness or harshness. Dynamics, needless to say, is more than you will ask for, with those kilowatt built-in D amps per side driving the back-firing woofer. The Balabo easily handled the rest of the drivers with 500 watts of power. The obvious trait in this system is that it does not sound like anything is coming out of the speakers. The stage is throw-back deep, leaving me feeling the sense of space in all parts of the soundstage. There is simply nothing to nickpick. I was just immersed with the performance of orchestra. I would have loved to listen the 'great uncle' of them all - the VR-11s but unfortunately (or even fortunately for me bec I have not hit the lotto) the unit just got sold recently. Request ko sana dyan, the newly released LP version of PARAMITA! :twisted:

My listening pleasure in this big room was cut short when Ken invited me to the smaller room beside the big one. In there are the Magico Minis loudspeaker, 'modestly' priced at $20,000 but with a workmanship that would top the likes of the Sonus Homage Series. What a thing of visual beauty, including the stands. Their mid line speakers are in the $65,000 range and of course, they have the hit-the-lotto model at past $100,000.
An ARC Ref 110 amp was driving the Minis. Line and phono stages were from FM Acoustics and source was a 47Labs Miyabi, Triplanar 7, and a DPS table. The first cut was a male vocal piece from Stockfisch Records, David Roth singing Vincent with guitar accompaniment. I was not prepared, nor expected what I heard. Perhaps describing the sound as lush, smooth, sweet, etc is just too ordinary anymore from what I heard. This is a cut above anything I have ever heard for male vocals and acoustic intruments. It's simply magic and musically delectable. I was told that the ARC amp and the Magicos match well. This is like the Sonus sound and 'more', imo. The Minis are capable of filling up a medium sized room and I was very amazed to hear the kind of bass reproduction coming from a 2-way sealed loudspeaker. It definitely sounded like 3 way to me. Very impressive. Another cut of LA 4 Just Friends and I sat back and listened to the musical event. I just run out of words. :)

Went on to track down some black plastic goodies down Central and Causeway and I shall be posting some in the R&R section.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:50 am

jadis,

I am glad you were able to visit our old friend in hong kong. He always has such ear-opening and mind-opening goodies. I am not certain but the magico mini you heard could have been the mark 2 version. I hope you find time to visit again in a couple of months when the magico horns are expected to be delivered.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:03 am

Yes, Mullard. It was a very pleasant experience this time since I did not really plan it because of time constraints, but because of some delay in my planned appointment in Central, I was able to visit our old friend and it was a very worthwhile 'side-trip'. Hopefully, I will be able to hear the Ultimate (horns) soon.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby ttommy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:38 am

Thanks for your impressions, Jadis. The VR-9s I can imagine as I've heard them. And then I'm quite intrigued by mmm... BAlabo.... But then in reality, mukhang mmm... malabo :lol: I've read the Magicos like the unobtanium BAlabo as well.

One request lang, next time please take pics! ;)
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:36 pm

Sure thing ttommy. :) I now realize the dual role of a cellphone with a 2mpxl capacity, of which I don't have. :)

Yeah, first time I heard a friend tell me about the Balabo, I really HEARD it as malabo. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby wav » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi Jadis,

I will be in Hong Kong next week and hope to audition the Magico Mini IIs. Is Ken accommodating to visitors? I enjoyed reading your post about your experience with the Magico Mini. I am considering the purchase of Mini IIs and am looking forward to audition them in Hong Kong as there is no dealer here in Canada. I am taking a side trip to Hong Kong on my way to a two week vacation in the Philippines.

Do you know if mullard88 is from Hong Kong? If he is, he seems to know Ken and it would be nice if he can accompany me to Sound Chamber.
wav

Postby keith » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi wav,

mullard88 is from Manila. However, he does frquent HK and does visit Ken when he is there. PM him, maybe he'll be in HK during that time. :)
keith
walastick

Postby jadis » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:52 pm

wav wrote:Hi Jadis,

I will be in Hong Kong next week and hope to audition the Magico Mini IIs. Is Ken accommodating to visitors? I enjoyed reading your post about your experience with the Magico Mini. I am considering the purchase of Mini IIs and am looking forward to audition them in Hong Kong as there is no dealer here in Canada. I am taking a side trip to Hong Kong on my way to a two week vacation in the Philippines.

Do you know if mullard88 is from Hong Kong? If he is, he seems to know Ken and it would be nice if he can accompany me to Sound Chamber.

Hi Wav,

As Keith has mentioned, Mullard88 is from Mla and the best thing is to pm him re making an appointment with Ken to listen to the Magicos. You can also let me know if you have made the pm and I can even make a follow up with mullard88 over here.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:23 pm

Very Nice! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Superman
Master Showman

Postby wav » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:51 pm

Keith, Jadis,

I sent a pm to mullard88. Thanks for the info.

Jadis,

Yes, it will help if you can do a follow up with mullard88.

Superman,

I recognized the picture from WSLam’s listening room in Hong Kong. I contacted him with the intention of listening to his set up as I own the same power amp as he does. Unfortunately, he will be away with a friend on the days I am in HK. He has a friend who owns Magico Mini I. He is the one going away with him.
wav

Postby jadis » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:04 pm

Ok, Wav, I'll let him know.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Return to Jadis' Corner