" PARENG COLTRANE'S" SUPER SYSTEM

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby diesel » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:53 pm

:shock: :shock: WOW GRABE..................
diesel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:34 pm

Oldfogey wrote:Definitely a jazz lover's wet dream :) When did he start collecting these titles?

of

That is true, Oldfogey. He told me he started in his college days...What a head-start...
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:37 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
Oldfogey wrote:Definitely a jazz lover's wet dream :) When did he start collecting these titles?

of

I think when he was still in his mother's womb. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby ttommy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:17 pm

(Standing up and clapping here) BRAVO! A system, room and setup to aspire to!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby manilaman » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:41 pm

Oh Man what a head start.....let's figure this out, college at 17-18 yrs old. I doubt he has only 5k, looks more like 10k vinyl pcs, with some of them being double albums, or even box sets. Maybe 5000 album titles. And at a really modest Pesos 1000 per vinyl@10k, that's Pesos 10M!!!

Guess what, if at 17/18 he bought one vinyl a day to meet the 10k today, he'd be 44-45 years old!!!! lol lol!!!!

These are approximate figures.... :lol: Collecting vinyl for the last 27.39 years........Ala pang equipment yan!!!! whew!!! You d'man! :shock: :shock: :shock:
manilaman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby fld » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:23 pm

Wow, its amazing how this person collects records ! its just in the same way how some people collect cars, women, watches, planes, wines, shoes, ballpens, etc. Kanya kanya yun eh. Not suprised!! thats what life is all about.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby quarterback » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:27 pm

That's what you get when you have the passion, fine taste and RESOURCES! A dream collection and system.
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby fld » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:32 pm

quarterback wrote:That's what you get when you have the passion, fine taste and RESOURCES! A dream collection and system.

agree! you got to have that combo, otherwise it just wont quite work!!
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:44 pm

THE RACK

A PS Audio Power Plant (dapat dito Rockwell) is used with the source and
pre-amplification gears, while the line and phono stages sit on a Brightstar
Platform. There is also a ML Transport and a MF Tri-vista DAC for playing CDs.

THE NEEDLE

Our man has an impressive lineup of cartridges, among which is the Koetsu Tiger Eye Diamond Platinum.

THE CABLES

Siltech Silver Speaker Cables. Bought many years ago. I imagine it was grossly expensive I asked how much and he told me: 'it's very expensive.'
:shock: The purple 'wrapper' - ala a BP measuring device, was the fad in HK in the mid 90s, it is said to 'suck out' unwanted whatever'. :)
The long interconnects are top-of-the-line Balanced cables from Cardas. And I recall, our man has an extra pair of Siltech Speaker cables hiding in the shelves because his old speakers were bi-wired but unfortunately his present SFs are not.

CLEANING THE LPs

What do we expect in terms of record cleaning the voluminous LPs??? Right. Voluminous gallons of cleaning solution. Gallons upon gallons hidden underneath his VPI cleaning machine.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:07 pm

jadis wrote:Image

Moon Shine ata yan eh. :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:22 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Moon Shine ata yan eh. :lol:

the gallon on the extreme right with a yellow tag seems to be Amihan vinegar.... :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby sinar » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:51 pm

jadis, where are his aesthetix io and clearaudio master reference? did not see it in your photos.
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:48 pm

sinar wrote:jadis, where are his aesthetix io and clearaudio master reference? did not see it in your photos.

sinar, it's just there in the room.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby conspicuous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:48 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :)

in the end this hobby, no matter how extreme, is really about the music. and this guy proves it. his hardware is first rate no doubt but it's the software that gets listened to not the amps, not the speakers, not the turntables. the hardware only communicates the music.

jadis, what per cent of the records have been played at least once? i have several hundred only and yet i have a few that i haven't had time to play yet :lol: or like dvds, i end up collecting and not having the 2 hours to spend watching each one :lol: :lol:
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:17 am

If you have a collection like this at some point you'll say to yourself, "Am I getting the most out of my software?".

I like this guy's style.God lives in the details as they say and he surely pays attention to the details. I've always been of the 50/50 school of thought when it comes to the reproduction of music. Meaning the best software you can afford plus the best equipment you can afford (that suits your taste siyempre). Although I respect people with great software collections and modest gear much much more than people with megabuck gear and tiny software collections, the latter being the most likely candidates to burn out. I really do believe the two aspects must be maxxed out equally to ensure one's own maximum satisfaction.

This guy is clearly MAXXING OUT both and I know for a fact that this quiet guy is enjoying himself immensely!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:28 am

conspicuous wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :)

in the end this hobby, no matter how extreme, is really about the music. and this guy proves it. his hardware is first rate no doubt but it's the software that gets listened to not the amps, not the speakers, not the turntables. the hardware only communicates the music.

jadis, what per cent of the records have been played at least once? i have several hundred only and yet i have a few that i haven't had time to play yet :lol: or like dvds, i end up collecting and not having the 2 hours to spend watching each one :lol: :lol:

conspicuous,

i just learned that our man has not played about 30% of his entire collection. off hand it may seem that he is buying more than he can chew, or play; but the underlying reason would be that he is preventing an audio burnout. he will never run out of lps to play, and in the coming months, or years, he will always be alble to hear something new for the first time - and that, to me at least, constitutes one of the single most thrilling experience in home audio.
Last edited by jadis on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:38 am

JackD201 wrote:Although I respect people with great software collections and modest gear much much more than people with megabuck gear and tiny software collections, the latter being the most likely candidates to burn out. I really do believe the two aspects must be maxxed out equally to ensure one's own maximum satisfaction.

Agreed totally.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:51 am

jadis wrote:

of

That is true, Oldfogey. He told me he started in his college days...What a head-start...

I have to make a correction. I just learned that our man started collecting jazz LPs when he was in second year HIGH SCHOOL. That translates to about 2 years EARLIER than what I thought. He was influenced daw by a classmate. I wonder what ELSE he influenced you, my man? :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby egay » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:57 am

i just learned that our man has not played about 30% of his entire collection. off hand it may seem that he is buying more than he can chew, or play;

let's see:
assuming 5 hours per day playing time; maybe max 7 LPs all
10000/7=1,428 days and 30 min about, roughly 4 years of playing

but the guy still has digital, so that easily would double to say, 8-10 years of just playing music 5H/Dx7x365... assuming he doesn't buy new softwares, which i doubt. :|

this guy must really have a good life :D the remaining hours of his day is probably spent with family, friends, business, other hobbies... which could be a bit tight. :?

but the underlying reason would be that he is preventing a audio burnout. he will never run out of lps to play, and in the coming months, or years, he will always be alble to hear something new for the first time - and that, to me at least, constitutes one of the single most thrilling experience in home audio.

and i suppose many will be green with envy of this buddy's lifestyle; i won't be surprised if he also collects cars or race bikes - music is a way of balancing an otherwise hectic or boring life!

could he also remember where he stacks which album? i supposed he has a catalogue system, or perhaps at this level, he had memorized the majority of them.

saludos!
.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:01 am

jadis wrote:
sinar wrote:jadis, where are his aesthetix io and clearaudio master reference? did not see it in your photos.

sinar, it's just there in the room.

As in naka-tambak na lang :?: :roll:

Kung binabasura na niya, tell him akin na lang. :) Pwede ko pang pag perahan yan. 8)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner