Audio Catalogs & Morita's Memorabilia

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Proprius

Postby jadis » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:10 pm

One of my most treasured 'autographed letters', as I am an eternal fan of Proprius Records. Below is a photocopy of a fax letter, which is actually a confirmation letter of my direct order of a few Proprius LPs (the 1981 Kornet was one of them) from the company. In those 'stone age' days, fax was the miracle breakthrough technology of communication. :D And faxing here and there was the order of the week, and I had to seek out a local bank which will issue a demand draft for a few SEK, or Swedish Kroners. US dollars apparently was not good enough for these group of Swedes. Kaya idol ko talaga. :D Pinahirapan ako ng husto ng mga kabayan ni Björn and Agnetha. :D :D

And below, an autographed 'greeting' from Proprius founder Jacob Boëthius, though Miss Hultman was my contact. ( I wish there were webcams then, for a smoother business transaction) :lol: :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Audio Catalogs & Memorabilia

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Continuing the saga of the soap opera 'Catalogs Thy Neighbor Sent Me...' :D

Not very long ago, thy neighbor pat morita' dropped in a catalog from Rockport Technologies, one of the leading manufacturers of no-holds-barred turntables and loudspeakers in the world. Flipping through the first few pages, nostalgia quickly set in as I saw these pictures:

Above, The Rockport System III Sirius Turntable system, an evolution of one of the world's first truly 'serious' (no pun intended) designs, utilizing a direct drive motor, an air bearing platter, an active pneumatic isolation system and a linear tracking air bearing tonearm. As described once by Michael Fremmer in Stereophile: "With its air-suspension isolation stand, air-bearing platter (both the axial and radial loads are supported by air), captured air-bearing arm, and direct-drive brushless motor, the System III Sirius's only mechanical contact is that of stylus and record. No belt, no springs, no thrust plate and ball bearing, no bushings—and, unfortunately, no way most of us will ever be able to afford the thing." I concur with everything he said, specially the last line. :D :D Circa 2000, the price tag was only $70,000 and some change. :D :D That latest incarnation is said to be more than twice the price lang naman. :D :D The consolation is that I actually heard the Sirius II at the first HK Hifi Show way back in the early 90s. Their main man showed my how the pneumatic isolation levels itself by pushing one corner of the platform stand down, and voila, it floated back up again to its original level. WOW! :o

The Capella I. Maybe not as serious, but very solid.

Designer Andy Payor checking out his work.

The cover page of the catalog. The flagship loudspeaker 'Arrakis'.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby pican » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 pm

Philip, I had a lot of listening sessions with these:

pican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:05 pm

Ah yes, Pic. I remember Audionics in those times. Thanks for posting.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Hey, I had one of those classic Audionics power amps back in the late 80s. Sikat yan dati. 8)

I think Bebop still has a 8) pair 8) in his shop.
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:06 pm

More catalogues (and gears) from 'thy neighbor':

These are a few of HIS favorite things.... :lol:

The grand old table of all grand old tables. The Goldmund Reference. This must be the standard that all of today's super tables are set against. One of the first turntable systems that you cannot lift up by yourself. :D All I can say is that long time ago, in our factory, I had a circular saw table stand that looks just like the Goldmund stand. It proves that hanggang 'stand' lang tayo. :D :D

Another shot of the Rockport Capella. There is one in the P.I. ;)

Rockport Sirius II. There is none in the P.I. :) (As far as thy neighbor knows - and he should know.) :D

Marantz Model 7 pre amp and Model 9 amp (Rack mountable face plate). I think that on top and at the bottom, the writings just say: "moshi-moshi...." :D :D

What was known as the Audio Research SP-1. Generally marked as 'Electronic Industries' on the faceplate, 1963 vintage. Between 1963-1969, it was known as the EI SP1A and SP1B. It was in 1970 that is was released under ARC brand and called SP1-C. "Thy Neighbor" not only owns this catalog, he owns an actual unit of the SP1-C. 8) :clap:

Technics SP-10 Direct Drive turntable. The man also owns the hardware aside from the 'papers'. :D

'Thy Neighbors' gears in 'black and white'. Actual photo when color film was not invented. :D :D Kidding aside, these were his playthings in the 70s. Left side on rack mount, top to bottom: Sony 777 Open Reel (I don't think he or anyone remembers the model number and it doesn't really matter anyhow), :D Marantz Model 10B tuner, Marantz Model 7 preamp, Marantz Model 15 SS amp (for bi-amping) and Marantz Model 9A Mono Blocks. Right Side top photo: Audio Research D-150 mono blocks. Perched on top of the left side mono is an ARC SP-3A (rack mountable face plate), and perched on top of the right mono block is the Mark Levinson JC-2 preamp (John Curl designed). Lower photo shows a pair of vintage McIntosh MC3500 Mono blocks. Fear not, it's not 3500 watts, 350 watts only, per side. :lol: ( I imagine a 3500 watt tube amp in those times could cause a 'mini-tsunami after shock'). :D And it's loaded with KT-90 tubes. 8) Circa 1970s, these are 'heavy stuffs', figuratively and literally. :lol: 'Thy Neighbor' also told me that hidden behind all these are 2 Marantz Model 3 mono tube crossover units, using 12AX7 tubes. He said Marantz gears inspired his audio life so much that led him into becoming a 'audio gear collector'. I wish I was there in those times to listen to his fabulous recordings with these things, huwag lang niya patugtugin and THE PLAGUE sa gabi. :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:46 pm

i want one of this...

jadis wrote:

while nasa rockport na din tayo....which model ang nake-bestfriend ni pat :?: :?: :?:
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby jadis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 pm

halls wrote:i want one of this...

jadis wrote:

while nasa rockport na din tayo....which model ang nake-bestfriend ni pat :?: :?: :?:

Capella 1. I saw it personally, but unfortunately, was not able to audibly appreciate it.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JAA » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Where is the picture of Pat Morita's Dipole Room Dividers? :D :D :D
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:45 pm

JAA wrote:Where is the picture of Pat Morita's Dipole Room Dividers? :D :D :D

Paging Pat's neighbors, photographers and facilitators... :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Which reminds me, I may end up 'cataloging' neighborly Pat's entire audio gear supply or inventory, if you will, from the days of yore. :D (If and when I'm allowed into his address with no name). :D And the title could very well be 'Cataloging Thy Neighbor's GARAGE'. :D Among the gears that is common knowledge in the neighborhood are a pair of Duntech Sovereign (3 men cannot carry) :D speakers, a pair of piano black Sequerra Signature speakers, a Jeff Rowland power amp, 2 NOS pairs of Quad 57s, , small Sequerras, some baby Dalquists, a wide range of Genesis Loudspeakers up the 2.5 model, and Magnepan Tympani IVs (this one makes his garage a very ripe target for a lightning raid, fits easily in an escape van). :D :D And I believe the guy is now beginning to hoard a legendary brand of Scottish turntable; which makes me think in due time, he will have an autobiography called "I AM LEGEND II". (Huwag lang magalit si Will Smith). :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JAA » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:57 am

Pair of Magneplan Tympany IV x ? = Quad 405 x ? :D
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:30 am

halls wrote:i want one of this...

jadis wrote:

I would have wanted that too, Nols, but I'll 'opt' for this na lang:

The Sirius System V:

The thing is, I may have to sell my entire listening room contents to pay for it, kaya huwag na muna. :D :D

After so many years of slumber, the III is now a V. At press time, still being tested and soon to be released to the market.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:41 am

Wow!! I never knew that Audio Research made D-150 mono blocks. I wonder when a listening room will be added to this "warehouse".
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:28 am

mullard88 wrote:Wow!! I never knew that Audio Research made D-150 mono blocks. I wonder when a listening room will be added to this "warehouse".

Yes, Mullard88, what 'neighbor' keeps is surprising. As for the 'when', that is the million dollar question. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:30 pm

More 'neighborly' catalogs... :lol:

~INFINITY~ (Not just a loudspeaker name but a word that best describe the audio upgrade path) :lol: :lol:

The first speaker by Infinity, The Servo Statik, here in its revised version 1A, released in 1968. It was said the technology used here was ahead of its time, designed by Arnie Nudell, John Ulrich and Cary Christie. The former 2 were aerospace designers for a California company. The system consisted of two electrostatic panels for the highs and midrange, a separate bass commode, and an Infinity designed crossover/bass amp. It is safe to say that Arnie is the supreme idol of 'thy neighbor'. :lol: Below, some tech-specs.

(Photos below are all sourced from the net so as to complete Infinity's 'Big Speaker' history.)

After which Infinity was to develop the IRS Series of speakers, at first made for their own reference in their factory but later to suit a limited commercial demand. But in between, they made a 'Baby IRS', the Infinity RS-1. highly revered in its time, and perhaps, even today.

And in the 90s, the Baby IRS was know as the IRS Beta, a mouth-watering sight of a loudspeaker that unfortunately flew by the cuckoo's nest in favor of the B&W800 Matrix in my own 'loudspeaker journey'.

And below, the 'unreachable star' and Mount Everest of the time, the IRS V. Massive, imposing, yet elegant. In its last production run, it cost $45,000 - a mere fraction of what today's statement loudspeakers would cost. (Starting at $145,000 to $300,000, not counting those that will NOT fit a home.) :lol: Those were the days, my friends. :(

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JAA » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Akala ko si Yamashita lang ang may hidden treasures, si Pat Morita din pala! :D

The tightest, and most controlled bass I've ever heard of from this giant, of course further modified by Arnie Nudell under Genesis Brand. :clap: :clap:
Equally impressive performance too on mid - high region! :clap:
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:53 pm

JAA wrote:Image

John, I think Yamashita and Morita may be related. :D :D Morita told me he has even more stuffs to unearth. But first, we have to find the MAP to his house. ( Rumors have it that the house is being presented as a fish breeding area, camouflaging its real contents, AUDIO GEARS). :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 pm

FOR THE BUMPERS... of your car: :D

The nice thing about the folks at B&W is that they throw in a lot of souvenirs if you hang around with them long enough. They gave me poster for a man sitting in a chair being electrocuted by their speakers, :D and they also gave me bumper stickers, of which only one remain.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JAA » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:23 pm

jadis wrote:
JAA wrote:Image

John, I think Yamashita and Morita may be related. :D :D Morita told me he has even more stuffs to unearth. But first, we have to find the MAP to his house. ( Rumors have it that the house is being presented as a fish breeding area, camouflaging its real contents, AUDIO GEARS). :D

Philip, one thing common with them is they both mastered the guerilla tactics! :D
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner