"TRODT TR2A3"

Mang Rod's audio creations...

Moderator: kabubi

Re: "TRODT TR2A3"

Postby audiostar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:07 pm

brogger wrote:mga Sirs, hope your can point me to the right direction, I am looking for a SET to drive my Omni Duevel Planets 85db @ 4ohm sensitivity 10~50W.
Im interested to know which of Mang Rods creations will best suit my speakers? also are they made-to-order? at what price range? where can I audition his amps?

Reviews of the Planets says its best paired with SET with kt88, and I read SETs are low watt amps of 3~5W so can it drive my speakers???

This is my first audio setup and new to tubes.

With your speakers at 85dB sensitivity,you shouldn't go lower than 150Wpc class AB push pull amp to give your system ample headroom. The truth is that high amplifier power almost never destroys a speaker. In most cases, it is a lack of amplifier power that causes damage. The key is to use your speakers with an amplifier that produces sufficient output to drive the speakers without distortion, or "clipping." :)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby brogger » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 pm

Taken from urban fidelity: http://www.urbanfidelity.com/planets/faq.php

“Minimum Power: 10 watts
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Sensitivity: 85dB SPL

High Sensitivity: The Planets are high sensitivity speakers and work with as little as 10 watts. Due to their omni design, the Planets' true sensitivity is masked during normal anechoic testing measurements, thus resulting in a measurement of 85dB.”

Duevel Planets are upward firing loudspeakers unlike conversional speakers which are measured on horizontal plane in anechoic testing. If the Planets would be put on its side it will register to probably between 90 or 95ish db.

I think any watts over 50 would be over doing it, right now its hook up to a hybrid mp5 with 13w at 12 o'clock.
Just want to know if a 3 ~ 5 watt class A SET would suffice. I guess I have to contact Mang Rod for a schedule.

Excerpt from http://www.abouthifi.com/review.php?s=tmc#top

“We recommend the use of an amplifier with neutral tone, musicality and fast lows which will enable the speakers to perform better. Avoid lots of power and focus on a quality, low wattage amplifier. Single ended valve amplifiers, solid-state amplifiers with a few active elements in the output and switching amplifiers based on a Tripath are the ideal combination. Power should be between 18 and 50 W. The speaker is not made to play very loudly. Within its range, it does well and easily covers areas of up to 25 m².”
brogger

Postby kabubi » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:01 pm

no problem if you will need a SET amp, bro. brogger.
since MR is doing Chuckyboy's 300B, you can look at that option. that's 8 watts of pure SETrifugal force to exert on your planets.

you may also find it hard to resist that "devil tube", the 6C33C, which when MR had made into a SET amp, can only be described as no less than "walanghiya!" :devil: MR has a personal one at home, always ready for a fight, and that's just an integrated. kung gusto mo ng resbak, there is a monoblock version there, too. enough cojones for you to want get into some other gang's tambayan, break some bottles there, and look into their startled faces and say, "ano'ng tinitingin-tingin niyo diyan?" :devil:

of course, you know i'm just dishing out the hyperbole.

but seriously, give Mang Rod a call. i'm sure he has, or can create for you, what you need.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby brogger » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Thank Kubibi, btw where is his shop/address? hindi kaya ako ma bugbog din? :worried:
brogger

Postby kabubi » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:09 am

tawagan mo si Mang Rod, 522-1696.
his house is along Conchu St, near the corner of Zobel Roxas, Makati. Conchu is in between Dian and Bautista Sts.

cencia na kung medyo matalinghaga ang pagsusulat ko :D
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Audiogeek » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:34 am

I have a chance to listen to that speakers of your, brogger, at the recent hifishow. here's 2 cents.

1. dont be mislead with the 85db spl.
2. your speakers are recommended to be sufficiently driven by a minimum power of 10watter amplifier (tube or ss) at 4 ohms. iow at 8ohms, you need an amplifier with a minimum rms power of 15-20watts rms to get the desired result.
3. MR usually uses 8ohms transformers on his amplifier designs, unless you specify 4 or a combination of both. he has had experienced with less sensitive speakers and still managed to feed it with enough power.
4. use class A tube - any SE triode tube will do. it can drive 4-8ohms drivers with no sweat.
5. as suggested, always put your speakers through a seriers test. even a 35wpc dynaco st70/st70II amplifier can do it for you. it has 8, 4 and 16 ohms tap.
6. your speaker is still considered highly sensitive considering the 4ohms trannies and 10watter amp recommended. mykefq7 is rated at 15-175watts at 8ohms but fell in love with my T845 (tuned at 15wrms).

enjoy.
Last edited by Audiogeek on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby skeesix » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 am

Hi Rene, Its good to see you active again. Cheers ;)
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 am

skeesix wrote:Hi Rene, Its good to see you active again. Cheers ;)

thanks capt.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brogger » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:28 pm

kabubi wrote:no problem if you will need a SET amp, bro. brogger.
since MR is doing Chuckyboy's 300B, you can look at that option. that's 8 watts of pure SETrifugal force to exert on your planets.

you may also find it hard to resist that "devil tube", the 6C33C, which when MR had made into a SET amp, can only be described as no less than "walanghiya!" :devil:

but seriously, give Mang Rod a call. i'm sure he has, or can create for you, what you need.

I would describe my experience with this amp as "Yun O!" moment. It's like given Pacquiao packs a powerful left hand and your waiting for him to unlesh it, then BAM! he executes it in sensational style, more than you have expected it, greatness shewed itself. On the spur of the moment you blurt out

Yuuuuunnnnn Ooo!!! -

a walanghiya nga talaga.

Thank you Mang Rod. :rock:
brogger

Postby amonv » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:13 pm

brogger wrote:
kabubi wrote:no problem if you will need a SET amp, bro. brogger.

you may also find it hard to resist that "devil tube", the 6C33C, which when MR had made into a SET amp, can only be described as no less than "walanghiya!" :devil:

I would describe my experience with this amp as "Yun O!" moment. It's like given Pacquiao packs a powerful left hand and your waiting for him to unlesh it, then BAM! he executes it in sensational style, more than you have expected it, greatness shewed itself. On the spur of the moment you blurt out

Yuuuuunnnnn Ooo!!! -

a walanghiya nga talaga.

Thank you Mang Rod. :rock:

:bow: :bow: :bow:
amonv
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ESaudio » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:32 pm

Bro,

If i may suggest, you can audition the 6C33C-SET/Single amps of MR. The 6C33C can handle with ease the low impedance (4ohms) and the low sensitivity (85db) of your Duevel without compromise on the highs and mids. You can arrange with kabubi to hook up with one of his vampire SET amps. :^)

brogger wrote:mga Sirs, hope your can point me to the right direction, I am looking for a SET to drive my Omni Duevel Planets 85db @ 4ohm sensitivity 10~50W.
Im interested to know which of Mang Rods creations will best suit my speakers? also are they made-to-order? at what price range? where can I audition his amps?

Reviews of the Planets says its best paired with SET with kt88, and I read SETs are low watt amps of 3~5W so can it drive my speakers???

This is my first audio setup and new to tubes.
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:41 pm

Pattorney,

i think bro brogger already auditioned MR's 6C33C-B amps at MR's home last week. bro brogger actually brought his "Planets" for the audition. you can read his assessment 2 posts above your last one.

i think he summed it up into 2 words: "Yun O!" :D :D :D
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby ESaudio » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:04 am

Lang hiya talaga ooo.... 'sang linggo lang ako nawala, may iba'ng Planeta na pala lumapag sa Conchu! :clap:

kabubi wrote:Pattorney,

i think bro brogger already auditioned MR's 6C33C-B amps at MR's home last week. bro brogger actually brought his "Planets" for the audition. you can read his assessment 2 posts above your last one.

i think he summed it up into 2 words: "Yun O!" :D :D :D
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brogger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Na audition na po.

Never heard my speakers sound that way...grabe...it took it to its full potential and then some. :inlove:

Na mi-miss ko ung ganung tunog pag nakikinig ako sa bahay. *sigh*

Saving up for this amp (good bye boracay :sweat: )
brogger

Postby brogger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Kububi, please post or send me pics of your SET amp.
brogger

Postby ESaudio » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Brogger bro,

here's kabubi's Storm Troopers!

ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby highlander » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:32 pm

ESaudio wrote:Brogger bro,

here's kabubi's Storm Troopers!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :*
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brogger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:52 pm

mukhang bagay sa white color scheme ko 8)

brogger

Postby Audiogeek » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:13 pm

now, this will be the set-up that i cannot afford to miss personally.
the immaculate room - Devils and the Duevel whites.

congrats.

ps. walang 'ya na 6c33c devil tubes na yan, nagkamali pa ako. akalo ko 2A3.
nakasuot kasi ng puti.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brogger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Sir ano po ba output power nito? at power consumption?
brogger

PreviousNext

Return to >> TRODT/AVA Audio <<